OT: Ezekiel Elliott suspended 6 games

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

OT: Ezekiel Elliott suspended 6 games

Postby Oly » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:03 am

Zeke gets 6 games for suspected domestic violence incidents. He's not allowed at the Cowboys facilities at all from Week 1 through Week 6. Wow. I guess Goodell learned something from the Ray Rice fiasco.

While I am normally very uneasy with the league taking action when prosecutors wouldn't bring charges (let alone in the absence of a conviction), I like the action here. Domestic violence cases are notoriously difficult to prosecute (I know many women who were victims but not one got relief in the courts), and I don't exactly trust the Columbus PD and prosecutors office to treat Zeke like anyone other than OSU royalty. Goodell seems to have leaned on experts on this one rather than act as judge and jury on this. I would like to see him recuse himself from the appeal, however.

Hopefully, this message gets through to Zeke that he needs to grow up quickly if he wants a career in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2030 ... -six-games
Oly
Legacy

Re: OT: Ezekiel Elliott suspended 6 games

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Oly wrote:Zeke gets 6 games for suspected domestic violence incidents. He's not allowed at the Cowboys facilities at all from Week 1 through Week 6. Wow. I guess Goodell learned something from the Ray Rice fiasco.

While I am normally very uneasy with the league taking action when prosecutors wouldn't bring charges (let alone in the absence of a conviction), I like the action here. Domestic violence cases are notoriously difficult to prosecute (I know many women who were victims but not one got relief in the courts), and I don't exactly trust the Columbus PD and prosecutors office to treat Zeke like anyone other than OSU royalty. Goodell seems to have leaned on experts on this one rather than act as judge and jury on this. I would like to see him recuse himself from the appeal, however.

Hopefully, this message gets through to Zeke that he needs to grow up quickly if he wants a career in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2030 ... -six-games

You put it well, Oly. That's pretty much my way of thinking, too.

But I seriously doubt that this will stand up on appeal, at least not for the entire 6 games. Although the Commish can act as his own judge, jury, and executioner without regard to the course the legal system took, the fact that the prosecutor did not press charges because of conflicting testimony is in itself evidence that the accusations may be false. IMO it gets reduced to 2 games.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 pm

Dude beats on women, what a pussy jack-ass.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Not to dump water on your morality guys, but it will probably get overturned on appeal. He was never charged and if it wont hold up in court??

As a Hawk fan, I never cheered for any player to get injured. However, in this case as one who was born to hate the Dallas Cowboys: YIPPEEE!! YAPPIE!! AND YAHOOOOOEEEY!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 pm

obiken wrote:Not to dump water on your morality guys, but it will probably get overturned on appeal. He was never charged and if it wont hold up in court??

As a Hawk fan, I never cheered for any player to get injured. However, in this case as one who was born to hate the Dallas Cowboys: YIPPEEE!! YAPPIE!! AND YAHOOOOOEEEY!!

Yea, me, too, Obi. The Cowboys are far and away my most disliked team in professional sports, mainly because I can't stand Jerry Jones. I can't stand their fan base, either...remember CP Returns?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:47 pm

I have no idea what will happen going forward but the Ray Rice incident changed everything for the NFL. Even though Rice was indicted for a low degree assault the charges were dropped when he agreed to counseling. The only way they would have got a conviction was to charge is wife (then fiance) as well. We all know what happened to the NFL after the video came out. Even though a criminal conviction would have been very difficult the public was incensed that Rice had only received a 2 game suspension from the NFL. After that the NFL said that they would do their own investigation and not use only the court's disposition in their decision. Which they have done for more recent cases.

Now we have Elliott accused of a similar situation plus two other later incidents. The NFL interviews ever every possible witness. They hire four high powered individuals to decide what likely happened. And they decide that the incident(s) did or likely did happen. So what does the public do? Support Elliott. I don't think the NFL will ever have a winning hand in the public eye. Three incidents in a little more than a year. He is not going to stop on his own.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 pm

obiken wrote:Not to dump water on your morality guys, but it will probably get overturned on appeal. He was never charged and if it wont hold up in court??

Civil matters actually have a lower threshold. It wouldn't have held up in court because of conflicting testimony (maybe some payoffs?), regardless, an employer can suspend someone without proof, it's at their discretion.

You also have to realize that these prosecutor positions are elected positions. So bringing a home town guy to trial like that would look bad to half of the people, and if you failed to get a conviction, it'd look bad to the other half as well. He didn't get charged for political reasons.

I'm not a cowboys fan, and I'm not a goodell fan, but I think the commish got this one right. It also wasn't the first time Zeke has broken the law (and basically gotten away with it). He pulled down a lady's shirt exposing her breast (sexual assault), Knocked out a guy in a bar (paid him off not to press charges), and got caught speeding over 100 mph (something most of us would've lost our privilege to drive over.) This guy is a thug that has always gotten away with everything he does. I hope the suspension stands.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:39 am

It's not a morality thing so much with me (well it is, but no as it pertains to this argument), it's the fact that the NFL has been investigating this for year. This isn't an off the cuff Goodell reaction. this is serious business conducted by serious people that are very well qualified to understand the ramifications of their decisions and it's ability to stand up under scrutiny.

After the Ray Rice mess the NFL took things seriously and formed a special disciplinary unit consisting of the former head of the Manhattan District Attorneys Sex Crimes unit, the former Directer of the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and former high-ranking New York City prosecutor and a woman who spent more than 20 years as an advocate with the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. These people know the boundaries of their purview and kind of scrutiny their findings are going to come under. Having been putting this package together for a year now they are not going to just throw something out there that is likely to be dismissed out of hand on appeal.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 am

Although it doesn't carry any weight, I think there's a reason some of the Cowboy greats like Emmitt Smith are speaking up publicly and telling him to basically get his act together as it's a privilege to play in the NFL and not a right.
They know more than me and probably what's in the press and are concerned his career will be curtailed by off field incidents.
Maybe the appeal will drop it to 4 games, I don't know, but if another situation occurs, he could get 8 or more games.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum