Do we start slow again?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Do we start slow again?

Postby Largent80 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:18 am

The last few years we have been slow starters, just wondering if anyone thinks we turn this around.

Last year it was because RW was hurt in the first game and we had to change up our offense. In the pre-season, the 1's we're not doing so well on first drives.
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Do we start slow again?

Postby Uppercut » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 am

I expect it! With Bevell play-calling the fist possession will be 3 and out and then GB will drive the field for a score. Second possession the same but GB gets a FG. Games ends up 17-12(all FG) BB wins.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:05 am

It's a possibility, this offseason hasn't been kind to us, losing our starting LT and one of our top draft picks before the regular season isn't a good omen, but honestly, I don't know what to expect. The anxiety of what our team is going to look like is part of the excitement of opening day, and I can't wait!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Feez » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:08 am

before the Richardson trade I would say I could see us dropping the GB game but I think that shake up changed that. I think they are going to make it a statement game about our defense and get to Rodgers often and early. if we lose the opener I could see a slower start but when we beat GB in GB I think that will prime the team to make a faster start than we typically have under Pete
Feez
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:24 am

Agreed about Green Bay. If we win that one, we'll immediately become the leading contender for the SB. It would mean more than a win at home against a team like the Niners. Like it did three years ago, winning that season opener against the Packers could have monumental playoff implications come January.

But if we lose, particularly if we lose badly, we have a very tough away game against an up and coming Titan's team and one on the road against the Rams, a team that we've never played well against in their house. A loss in Green Bay could lead to a 2-3 start to the season.

I haven't a clue as to which way it will go. These early season games are extremely difficult to handicap.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 am

I will say this. GB's O-Line is not that good. They lost 2 starters (one we actually went after) and Bulaga is gimped. Our D-Line should have a huge advantage. Also, I believe their D in middling. They had to go get Brooks to try and improve it.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:56 am

RiverDog wrote:Agreed about Green Bay. If we win that one, we'll immediately become the leading contender for the SB. It would mean more than a win at home against a team like the Niners. Like it did three years ago, winning that season opener against the Packers could have monumental playoff implications come January.

But if we lose, particularly if we lose badly, we have a very tough away game against an up and coming Titan's team and one on the road against the Rams, a team that we've never played well against in their house. A loss in Green Bay could lead to a 2-3 start to the season.

I haven't a clue as to which way it will go. These early season games are extremely difficult to handicap.

Mostly agreed, although if the Hawks lose by only single digits I don't see that signaling anything about the rest of the year. Winning in GB against a Rogers-led team is always going to be an uphill battle, and I won't be worried by a close loss. But if they lose badly...then yeah, I'll start worrying.

But on the original question: I do think they will start slowly, dropping a game or two early on that they shouldn't drop. Seems to happen every year.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Actually what im referring to is the way they start games, either way on offense or defense. In the pre season the defense was horrid on first drives and the offense settled for field goals.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:46 pm

GB spanked our asses bad last December. Earl was out. And historically, GB at home in December is as sure as it gets.

Don't think for a minute these guys don't remember that.

This time, we are healthy and it's going to be 70 degrees and clear. Add in the usual Week 1 weirdness, and we could not have asked for a better spot on the schedule to play the Packers.

We MUST get pressure on Rodgers, and we must have valuable, sustained drives.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:GB spanked our asses bad last December. Earl was out. And historically, GB at home in December is as sure as it gets.

Don't think for a minute these guys don't remember that.

This time, we are healthy and it's going to be 70 degrees and clear. Add in the usual Week 1 weirdness, and we could not have asked for a better spot on the schedule to play the Packers.

We MUST get pressure on Rodgers, and we must have valuable, sustained drives.

We're 9-9-1 in our first 6-7 games over the past three seasons, so I might have been happier facing them in early November than coming out of the gate like this, but looking at it from the Packer's perspective, they usually don't start off like a house on fire, either, recalling Rodgers infamous "relax" comment to the faithful one season. Heck, last year they were 4-6 at one point.

Having Richardson lining up next to Bennett and Avril should give their below average offensive line fits, but that's only on paper. Rodgers is a magician.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 pm

If Rodgers is a magician he would Fail at Hogwarts because he has won only once and that was quite a while back.

Again, I am referring to the Hawks propensity to allow a first drive for a score, or our first drive after driving down the field ending in a field goal (which I might add, we now have Walsh kicking for us and I think this guy is going to cost us a game or two)
Largent80
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Well....Kearse is gone, so Bevfool and Wilson's obsession to force feed him will move elsewhere, hopefully to someone who will be open and catch. Have the feeling that running game will be non-existent and o-line will struggle to "get-it" until the second half of season. Will the "schism" manifest itself if the D has to carry this club game after game after game?.......
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Largent80 wrote:Actually what im referring to is the way they start games, either way on offense or defense. In the pre season the defense was horrid on first drives and the offense settled for field goals.

IMO, there is no team in the league that feasts off of a good start like the Seahawks.

We've seen it enough to know it's going to be a good game all 4 quarters when they start off well. Obviously, there are exceptions, but for the most part any early momentum (i.e. scores) seem to keep Seattle fired up.

Conversely, when we're slow - especially on the road - it's typically a long day.

The first few weeks, we're REALLY gonna need Bevell to incorporate a game plan that involves this thing called The Short Passing Game. The neat thing about this, folks, it that it allows the QB to....*Gasp*...get the ball out of his hands quicker!

Hey, who woulda thunk? Funny thing is, we did this successfully to close 2015 and then pretty much forgot about it last season. But with our OL, once again, being a new group, they're gonna need All the help they can get.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:18 am

I wonder if it will take a few games for Richardson to really feel comfortable with the other DLinemen and them with him.
We may not see his best until game 4 or so as they get to the point of knowing what each other is going to do in different situations.
Or maybe Pete will ask him in his first games to just penetrate and disrupt the backfield.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 am

Wow the Pats looked bad last night esp as the game went on. Smith had an awesome night and Cassius marsh gave up a big TD. Lots of inuries too. KC blew em out despite having like 15 penalties.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 am

The positive thing for them is they don't have to hear 19-0 talk after so many in the media said they are practically unstoppable.
I expect their Defense to get better, but losing Edelmann and then Amendola during the game showed they aren't particularly deep - or the new players this year aren't yet playing at a 100% comfort level with their teammates.
I expect their Defense to really pick it up the next couple of weeks.
But let's give KC some credit, too. They looked like they were in mid season form and just kept rolling. They look like they should be a strong team this year, but Berry's achilles might cause some downgrade in their Defense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Green Bay hates us. I expect a very tough game. Yeah. I think we'll start slow again. I think we'll start slow as long as Pete is here. It won't matter unless the defense starts to suck. Any time you run a run first offense with limited passing, you're likely to start slow because your game is all about grinding time and points slowly but surely and taking the ball back to grind and score points. We're not a high flying, fast paced passing team like New England or Indy under Peyton Manning. We're a run the ball and play strong defense with some passing mixed in.

With our weak O-line, we'll likely start off slow again until they mesh together and we get the run game going strong, so the offense can do their part grinding against other teams, at least that is what I expect.

It would be nice to see the offense start off strong from the beginning and do its part rather than the usual expectation that the defense win it without much help.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 pm

I liked how KC kept the pressure on the whole game on both O and D....
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 pm

I could care less if we are a grind it out type of offense. We usually move the ball down the field early in games, then stall out.

If we can score TD's instead of settling for a FG slow starts will be over. Keeping only 5 wr's tells me we get the TE the ball more, and I look for Jimmy to get a bunch of TD's this year.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Down and distance.
We lose track of that too often.

The first game - especially a road one - is about moving the chains first to get momentum. Too often last year we saw 20 yd+ passes on 3rd and short, most of which didn't work. It's head scratching to say the least.

Get RW into a rhythm early by letting him complete some Short passes on 1st down. Mix it up. Predictability kills us on that side of the ball. Let your play makers make plays. Quit substituting in a seldom used player on a key down. I don't want (though no longer have to worry) Alex Collins and his butter hands getting the ball on a crucial play when there are better options. Timing is Everything offensively, and I want to see a game plan that doesn't get cute during 3rd down conversions.

Bottom line: This should be a competitive game. There's no disgrace losing in GB, a place where it's been nearly 20 yrs since we won and we're 0 for our last 6 or 7. We have had some rare double digit losses to these guys, and we're facing the best QB in the league. Love the win, but the main thing I'm looking for here is to be within one score by the start of the 4th.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm

We need to be a grind it out type of Offense as we can't get into shootouts on a regular basis.
That time on the field grinding out drives gives the Defense time to recover and protects leads.

Regarding TE's, I saw on TV or read that they expect to split Graham wider this year so he's more like a WR.
That should help get him more mismatches and maybe get us more TDs instead of settling for FG's.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Uppercut wrote:I liked how KC kept the pressure on the whole game on both O and D....

I'm glad I took KC +8.5, though wasn't sure based on the initial 1st quarter start:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Largent80 wrote:The last few years we have been slow starters, just wondering if anyone thinks we turn this around.

Last year it was because RW was hurt in the first game and we had to change up our offense. In the pre-season, the 1's we're not doing so well on first drives.

ahh you do realize in the 2 pre season games were the 1s played any real time they scored on both opening drives right?
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Pre season is one thing. Real games are another.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Well, that became obvious. Gawd Seahawks.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Hind sight being 20/20; YES!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm so sick of it. Its like Fing groundhog day. Line sucks, plays suck. RBs suck. Russ is hot and cold and ice cold in the red zone. 4th time in a season and one game of the next we have not scored a TD.
They have to fire Bevell. You cant fire the players but something needs to change.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:36 am

Hawktawk wrote:I'm so sick of it. Its like Fing groundhog day. Line sucks, plays suck. RBs suck. Russ is hot and cold and ice cold in the red zone. 4th time in a season and one game of the next we have not scored a TD.
They have to fire Bevell. You cant fire the players but something needs to change.

I agree completely.

There isn't Anybody who can legitimately defend Bevell (or Cable) any longer.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:41 am

Uppercut wrote:I expect it! With Bevell play-calling the fist possession will be 3 and out and then GB will drive the field for a score. Second possession the same but GB gets a FG. Games ends up 17-12(all FG) BB wins.

Pretty close prediction
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 am

Im tired of it too and so is the defense. Any other team would have fired Bevell years ago. I just can't understand why the Seahawks front office does not act on this.
It's almost like they want to fail. Every team knows exactly what is coming play wise. It's depressing.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:49 am

I expect it! With Bevell play-calling the fist possession will be 3 and out and then GB will drive the field for a score. Second possession the same but GB gets a FG. Games ends up 17-12(all FG) BB wins.

Ouch! I didn't want to be that close to calling it. At least the D looked good until they were worn out and GB did not score on their first possession.

I thin we may see similar with the Niners if they don't make some serious adjustments. The Niners D does look fairly good esp early in the games. We may be in for a close one at home. And the Rams wow I know its the Colts but they could be a force.

I still don't like Lacy as he looks slow. I would rather see them bring up Mike Davis. Also JG, I think he he is good but Bevell has no clue how to use him. Its like having a brand new tool and you opt to use the old handsaw.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 am

[quote="Uppercut"I expect it! With Bevell play-calling the fist possession will be 3 and out and then GB will drive the field for a score. Second possession the same but GB gets a FG. Games ends up 17-12(all FG) BB wins

Ouch! I didn't want to be that close to calling it. At least the D looked good until they were worn out and GB did not score on their first possession.

I thin we may see similar with the Niners if they don't make some serious adjustments. The Niners D does look fairly good esp early in the games. We may be in for a close one at home. And the Rams wow I know its the Colts but they could be a force.

I still don't like Lacy as he looks slow. I would rather see them bring up Mike Davis. Also JG, I think he he is good but Bevell has no clue how to use him. Its like having a brand new tool and you opt to use the old handsaw.

Good pregame analysis. My prediction was it would come down to the Seattle offense which was also correct.

Agreed on the RB's and Bevfool. But Russ isn't comfortable going to Graham either. It seems forced and telegraphed which is why there is usually a crowd around Graham when the ball is thrown to him. Lot of that is on scheme.

But to be fair to all the skill position guys and to a certain degree Bevfool when the line is an absolute turnstile its tough to do a damn thing.

I know one thing. If I were the OC and it became clear my line couldn't pass block Id be calling quick throws and mainly runs. I don't give a damn if I go 3 and out 10 times in a row. Its better than getting Russ sacked 3 times, hit 7 more on 30 drop backs and would have been 10 more if he wasn't so athletic and elusive. He does need to work on ball security though. The fumble was inexcusable. Time to fold it and live to play another down.

At least Russ isn't hurt like week one last year when I sat in the Clink and watched the team drop a very similar turd on offense. Had it been the Pack, Cowboys etc. they would have dropped that opener at home too. ....

If they lose next week at home to the 9ers all bets are off on this quasi dynastic run...
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Hawktawk wrote:[quote="Uppercut"I expect it! With Bevell play-calling the fist possession will be 3 and out and then GB will drive the field for a score. Second possession the same but GB gets a FG. Games ends up 17-12(all FG) BB wins

Good pregame analysis. My prediction was it would come down to the Seattle offense which was also correct.

Agreed on the RB's and Bevfool. But Russ isn't comfortable going to Graham either. It seems forced and telegraphed which is why there is usually a crowd around Graham when the ball is thrown to him. Lot of that is on scheme.

But to be fair to all the skill position guys and to a certain degree Bevfool when the line is an absolute turnstile its tough to do a damn thing.

I know one thing. If I were the OC and it became clear my line couldn't pass block Id be calling quick throws and mainly runs. I don't give a damn if I go 3 and out 10 times in a row. Its better than getting Russ sacked 3 times, hit 7 more on 30 drop backs and would have been 10 more if he wasn't so athletic and elusive. He does need to work on ball security though. The fumble was inexcusable. Time to fold it and live to play another down.

At least Russ isn't hurt like week one last year when I sat in the Clink and watched the team drop a very similar turd on offense. Had it been the Pack, Cowboys etc. they would have dropped that opener at home too. ....

If they lose next week at home to the 9ers all bets are off on this quasi dynastic run...

The Niners lost Foster. But yes, I expect to struggle against them. We barely beat them last season in Santa Clara... they are much improved on defense.

The good news is, we should hold their offense to less than 13 points. Maybe Walsh can kick 5 field goals and we win 15-13??
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 am

I'm predicting a 2-3 start. We'll beat the Niners and the SOL Colts at home, lose to the Titans and Rams. Our offense sucks, and it's not just the offensive line. Russell played poorly, arguably lost the game for us by coughing it up inside the 10, was off target even on those occasions where he had time and receivers weren't catching the ball. Green Bay's defense was very, very ordinary. We'll be playing against much better defenses than the one we saw Sunday.

I expected us to lose against the Packers and I'm always the first one to lower the expectations bar, but I don't have a good feeling for this team at all, at least not on the road. This team does not have the look of a SB contender.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 am

When you hear the head coach say, "it's going to take a little while to get it going" you know what you are in for. What was mini camp, training camp and an entire pre-season? To ME, that's when you take a little while to get going, NOT during the regular season. Tenn. is going to be an ugly game, as they are improved, hell...even SF will be better. Also Jax. This team can't afford to "wait a little while"

GB already owns any tiebreaker with Seattle.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:22 am

RiverDog wrote:I'm predicting a 2-3 start. We'll beat the Niners and the SOL Colts at home, lose to the Titans and Rams. Our offense sucks, and it's not just the offensive line. Russell played poorly, arguably lost the game for us by coughing it up inside the 10, was off target even on those occasions where he had time and receivers weren't catching the ball. Green Bay's defense was very, very ordinary. We'll be playing against much better defenses than the one we saw Sunday.

I expected us to lose against the Packers and I'm always the first one to lower the expectations bar, but I don't have a good feeling for this team at all, at least not on the road. This team does not have the look of a SB contender.

Green Bays defense wasn't ordinary RD. In the NFL no defense is ordinary, especially week one when everyone is jacked up and employing new wrinkles. The Hawks were simply out schemed in pretty much every phase of the game.
The Davis kid went off. The coverage was tight on some pretty athletic receivers for the most part. They tackled extremely well. The three players who basically carried Darboh out of bounds in mid air in a huge goal line stop demonstrates how tight they were covering.

These are not all line issues. .

As for Russ there wasn't very much magic for sure. There was the throw into triple coverage that should have been picked on the first opportunity in the red zone and the bad overthrow of Lockett which is a play Russ usually makes as he throws one of the most beautiful catchable deep balls in the league. To be fair to Russ the defender hit him right in the knee as he was stepping into the throw and releasing the ball. I thought going low on the QB was also a high priority flag but oh well.

Russ still was the leading rusher and his wheels saved another couple of sure sacks. He was the best skill position player on the team which wasn't saying much Sunday. We need the Russell magic though pulling the impossible off. As much as he's been hammered in the 6 years in the league im surprised he hasn't become David Carr or Tim Couch by now. He's far from our biggest issue.

I think its premature to say this isn't a super bowl team. Its exactly the same formula since 2012 with the one huge exception being beast mode, great D, s*** line and just enough offense to win most weeks...If they lose this next one at home then I begin to agree with you about this teams trajectory. Right now 15-1 is technically possible as is 0-16. We will see.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 am

Niners are not pushovers especially since the hawks new mantra is "it's going to take a little while to get it going"(2018??)

I expect a very low scoring first half like at GB, we may score a TD but at half it will be like 7-0 or 6-0

Niner D will get a bit sloppy in second half and we get the advantage slightly win 13-3

At this rate I dont see wines against Rams or Titans in the near future but hope I get surprised.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:36 am

Largent80 wrote:When you hear the head coach say, "it's going to take a little while to get it going" you know what you are in for. What was mini camp, training camp and an entire pre-season? To ME, that's when you take a little while to get going, NOT during the regular season. Tenn. is going to be an ugly game, as they are improved, hell...even SF will be better. Also Jax. This team can't afford to "wait a little while"

GB already owns any tiebreaker with Seattle.

Especially our head coach, who if he could, would paint a smiley face on a coffin.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:04 am

So, since Bevell called the first play of the year ( a swing pass to our rookie RB) and 2 following passes, followed by the inevitable punt, will he "try to establish the run" and SF be waiting for it, and punt again?

I say he will. Or he will try and get cute again and wear out our defense?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:17 am

Largent80 wrote:So, since Bevell called the first play of the year ( a swing pass to our rookie RB) and 2 following passes, followed by the inevitable punt, will he "try to establish the run" and SF be waiting for it, and punt again?

I say he will. Or he will try and get cute again and wear out our defense?

Rawls will be back and it will be run, run, 7 step drop by Russ and either a sack or incomplete for a 3 and out on the first series.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum