Apathy

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Apathy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:17 pm

That's the word for my current feeling about this team.

And that sucks.

I used to get so hyped... what happened?
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: Apathy

Postby burrrton » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Same.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Hyped since '76 But now? No bueno.....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Glad I'm not the only one. My apathy started after the Super Bowl loss to the Patriots and lack of accountability from the coaching staff. It was a mistake. Yet no one admits that it was a mistake. Just excuse making for a very bad call with our coaches having full knowledge concerning all the personnel involved and what they were asked to do. I don't know that I feel excited again until Bevell and Cable are gone. I have no idea why Pete is refusing to hold his OC and O-line/OC of the running game accountable for the poor offensive development. I don't want Pete out the door because the defense is still excellent. We would lose that if we lose the head coach. At some point Pete has to follow his mantra for the offense. He can't keep overlooking the failure year after year on the O-line and the lack of ability to use effectively pieces like Jimmy Graham or the slow starts on offense. Coaches have to be held to the same standard as players or things don't work as we're seeing right now.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:51 am

Burnout would be my word...primarily because politics are ruining the game right now.

I don't care how worthy the cause, the NFL eventually just needs to adopt some new "dedication" month to whatever this is lol.
I'm sick of it.

Our locker room has practically become ground zero for all of this stuff. Combined with a few other factors, I wouldn't mind one bit if Sherman and Bennett were gone next year.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:09 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:That's the word for my current feeling about this team.

And that sucks.

I used to get so hyped... what happened?

Me, too. Raised expectations from our nearly two straight Lombardi's is part of it. I expect more from my team. And part of it is these anthem protests. Before I felt like I had something in common with my team, even those from very different backgrounds. Not anymore. I don't identify with them like I used to.

But we'll see. I just want to watch football and have a team to root for.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am

Yup, when Blue Friday rolls around, I sing the blues rather than wear them.

For me, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that the coaching staff appears to be just OK with slow starts in games. Every game is so important. They have made no changes while watching this slow burn going on at least 3 years now. I also feel like with this attitude we a squandering all the talent assembled. Pete is simply too loyal or stubborn or both.

It sucks my Seahawk life force out of me. I'm at the point of no longer caring. They had better do something quick.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:41 am

This is some sad sh!t guys ... time to get your priorities sorted.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:51 am

Same. For me, it's mostly two things:

1. As I've noted on occasion, I'm a psychologist (the research kind, not the therapist kind), and the indisputable evidence about what football does to the brain and how it ruins many lives is making it difficult to follow football at all. I feel like watching football is supporting an industry that is all too happy to ruin lives for the sake of a dollar. But I've loved the game and the Hawks from my preschool days, and it's so much a part of my identity that I haven't been able to quit the sport. (For example, I have quit watching Oregon football, even though I'm an alum, because of how shady college football is in general and the U of O program is in particular. It's made it easy to tune them out.)

2. The team just isn't playing an exciting kind of football. Just about every game, they start out playing like ass on offense, and so within the first 20 minutes my excitement turns into frustration. Even when they pick it up later in the game, my reaction is more "it's about f'ing time" than "woo hoo, this is fun!"

A much more minor reason is about the protests, but in a different way. I actually support the protests. I'm just frustrated and fatigued thinking about the issue because of how much everyone is constantly talking about it.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:35 am

Yah, I have missed the kickoffs the last few weeks just to get past the networks BS about who was standing and who was not. I don't really care as it has largely burned me out, too but if forced to take a stand, I would side with those choosing to not stand.
Regarding the team, I think I feel a bit differently because it's the same old routine every week at the start of the season where we lose games we should win because of bad OL play and repetitive play calling (from game to game, and now it seems year to year).
So I'm expecting disappointment - and that's what's different.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:08 am

c_hawkbob wrote:This is some sad sh!t guys ... time to get your priorities sorted.

Valid, but you might also tell the players making $15M/yr due directly to such little apathy existing previously.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:10 am

If y’all were REALLY apathetic, you would be outside mowing the lawn or something else rather than posting about how much you don’t care. Apathy = Lack of interest or concern. You clearly have both. I think you lack hope or faith that it’s gonna get any better and you’re disappointed, disgusted or flat out mad. It sorry - I ain’t buying apathy.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:02 pm

I agree with Sis. With all due respects to IG, apathy probably wasn't a good term to describe the sentiment, at least for me anyway. More like discouraged or disappointed.

But as far as ditching the Hawks and mowing the lawn goes, I have at times resorted to recording the game so I can mow my lawn then return to the TV and fast forward through the commercials and halftime. I have a big lawn that grows like crazy this time of year and it's too damp to mow it in the mornings.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:48 pm

With all due respects to IG, apathy probably wasn't a good term to describe the sentiment

It was fine and accurate, at least presumably- I won't speak for him, but I'm not saying I've lost *all* interest in the team, but apathy can refer to a lack of enthusiasm or excitement, which describes my feelings right now pretty well. It doesn't have to be absolute.

As I said in another thread, they haven't lost me completely and probably never will if I'm being honest, but if a season ticket holder, who got Seahawk license plates 2 days after they were available and could count the number of games he's missed in decades on one hand, feels the way I do (bleh and moving in the wrong direction), there's something wrong.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Fair point. Perhaps I’m picking nits that needn’t be picked. Just don’t give up boys; not yet.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby The POPE » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:20 pm

Sounds like a few of you may need me to send some of my boys over to give out last rights. Let me know when your disgust hits the terminal stage and I'll send someone out to administer the last Seahawks fan rights. Just remember, once you accept these rights you can never turn back. Never fear though the Devil is always recruiting for the other side. Who knows maybe there's a new Patriot, Ram, 9er, etc. fan amongst you all.
The POPE
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:22 pm

The POPE wrote: Who knows maybe there's a new Patriot, Ram, 9er, etc. fan amongst you all.

:) If I'm completely done with the Seahawks, I'm done rooting for the NFL. Like I said, though, probably never going to happen.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:32 pm

burrrton wrote:...they haven't lost me completely and probably never will if I'm being honest, but if a season ticket holder, who got Seahawk license plates 2 days after they were available and could count the number of games he's missed in decades on one hand, feels the way I do (bleh and moving in the wrong direction), there's something wrong.

They obviously haven't lost me, either, but the combination of their lackluster performance, if it continues, and the protests is beginning to wear on me. I doubt that I'll ever completely detach myself from them as I still plan on attending a few games both home and away each season as I simply love the NFL experience, but I'm finding myself feeling less and less as a part of the team. This current 12th man flag I just bought and fly in front of my house might be the last one I buy for some time.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Jeezus this offense is offensive. 72 stinking yards in the first half.

That call with rw in the end zone with no rb and this line? Really???? You call that play Bevell you moron.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:55 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:This is some sad sh!t guys ... time to get your priorities sorted.

Perfect words for our team to hear as well.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:39 pm

I believe that fantasy football has a lot to do with how "loyal" fans are to a single team now also. Apathy may be the right word since many people are switching their loyalty over to their own fantasy teams.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:33 am

idhawkman wrote:I believe that fantasy football has a lot to do with how "loyal" fans are to a single team now also. Apathy may be the right word since many people are switching their loyalty over to their own fantasy teams.

Speaking for myself, fantasy football and gambling, even the type w/o money like our own Hawkshack Pickum and Survival leagues, keeps the interest level up in the games that usually don't hold a lot of interest for me. That's one of the things that has me going to Vegas once a season. But I think it a stretch to claim that people are ditching their favorite team in lieu of their fantasy team. They can multi task. If I ever do give up the Hawks, burn my jersey and take down my 12th man flag, fantasy football will have next to nothing to do with it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:20 am

RiverDog wrote:Speaking for myself, fantasy football and gambling, even the type w/o money like our own Hawkshack Pickum and Survival leagues, keeps the interest level up in the games that usually don't hold a lot of interest for me. That's one of the things that has me going to Vegas once a season. But I think it a stretch to claim that people are ditching their favorite team in lieu of their fantasy team. They can multi task. If I ever do give up the Hawks, burn my jersey and take down my 12th man flag, fantasy football will have next to nothing to do with it.

There are true-blue fans like you who have the ability to put their teams first, but I have seen examples of both people caring more about their fantasy team and people changing the way they watch the game. I've seen fans bemoan their own team scoring a TD because it went to a WR down the depth chart and they felt their #1 fantasy WR was robbed of points. I think that is probably more common among fanbases that support consistently bad teams; a big reason we watch sports is the feeling of our team winning, and when your favorite team can't deliver that but your fantasy team can, it's easy to start paying attention to the team that makes you feel good.

It might be a stretch to say that most fans are ditching their home teams in favor of their fantasy teams, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that for a large number of fans they are on pretty even footing.
Oly
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:20 am

I'm reluctant to even watch an NFL game with a fantasy player unless they agree to STFU about their fantasy team while I'm around, and I absolutely won't watch a Hawks game with one if given a choice.

I had a neighbor who claimed to be a Hawks fan, then when I went over to watch a game with him, he said something to the effect of "I want Seattle to win, but I need their D to give up at least n points" (where n = enough that *his* fantasy D won the matchup).

That was when "fantasy" became a 4-letter word for me. :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 am

Fantasy isn't about players as individuals or about team connections, it's raw stats. Nothing matters but who on your fantasy team put up what numbers.

Meanwhile fans of the sport and of a team have an interest in the players as individuals and the things they and their team do in the community and have a connection with their team and players that fantasy owner just don't have. I could see fantasy as an aside, but it loses me completely when it becomes the way it's portrayed in FF advertising and as Burr describes ... that why I just choose not to participate beyond the pic'm and survival leagues.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:58 am

I don't do ff any more,either.
I found I didn't enjoy watching the games as I was too conflicted with players on teams I hated and wanting those players to do well.
My experience was it was a rarity when those players did well, but their teams did not.
My worst year was when I lost almost half my starters to injury - and I started feeling like I was cursing them. Even if I didn't like the team, I felt bad for the players.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:03 am

I play ff but have always maintained a seahawk-win-first mentality. I do see that younger fans, however, are more likely to be fans of players rather than teams as a result of ff and other reasons (social media etc). To the point, I listened to a sirus fantasy football station and jeeezus, that was tough listening. Just a bunch of stats nerds who care zero about any outcome other than their own FF championships on their 70 teams. The evolution of the phenomenon really has made it less fun for me. The move to the weekly ff thing has really accentuated this too, imho.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 am

RiverDog wrote:I agree with Sis. With all due respects to IG, apathy probably wasn't a good term to describe the sentiment, at least for me anyway. More like discouraged or disappointed.

But as far as ditching the Hawks and mowing the lawn goes, I have at times resorted to recording the game so I can mow my lawn then return to the TV and fast forward through the commercials and halftime. I have a big lawn that grows like crazy this time of year and it's too damp to mow it in the mornings.

No, I used the EXACT correct word. Apathy: "lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern."

My excitement level around this team is nowhere near as much as 2012-2015. I know the crushing Super Bowl loss probably took a lot out of me. Not because we didn't win it (I've been a fan since 1977, so it's not always been the good times), but because I knew that was likely our last great chance to win one for a bit. I still wear my gear, I still go to road games, I still fly by 12 flag on my house. But I don't feel it in my heart as much. The constant ineptitude of this offense has chipped away at my enthusiasm.

I have actually turned off multiple games this year. I have better stuff to do than to watch this team spinning wheels. It is the same script every week. I was THIS CLOSE to turning off the Colts game.

I already know exactly how the game today is going to go (and it isn't pretty). The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. See: Seahawks 2016-2017.

Everyone got all hyper because we destroyed the Colts. Keep it in perspective... that should have happened from the first kickoff, not taking 2+ quarters to get going. I am tired of the lethargic and uninspired play in the first half of games. It has been going on forever and it needs to stop. When was the last time we scored a touchdown on our opening drive? Go research that.

Pete has all his handy, positive excuses sharpened. "Its not how you start, its how you finish"; "its a four quarter game"; "we use the first 15 plays to see how the defense is going to play us." The problem is, I think the players have been acculturated in that attitude.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:26 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:When was the last time we scored a touchdown on our opening drive? Go research that.

Pete has all his handy, positive excuses sharpened. "Its not how you start, its how you finish"; "its a four quarter game"; "we use the first 15 plays to see how the defense is going to play us." The problem is, I think the players have been acculturated in that attitude.

Opening drive of either quarter has been very sparse for the last few years. - Extremely frustrating.

I believe the worst one is the "not how you start but how you finish" because I don't think these players come out playing their best because of it. There's nothing worng with running the score up to 38-0 in the first half and coasting through the second half. Maybe you could rest a few dinged players but when you are trying to catch up and win a the very end, the dinged up players have to play the full game. That just goes to more IR players by the end of the year.

This team leaves a lot to be desired and no, I'm not spoiled from the last 5 or so years. I am disappointed that this team has so much more potential than it displays week in and week out.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:20 am

Here is the deal for me. I'm expecting more of the same early on, EXCEPT, just maybe after 3 years the coaches on the offensive side of the ball come up with a gameplan to beat these pests. To be fair, that game last year was very close and was the first game of RW actually playing with a high ankle sprain, this time, he's in shape and healthy.

Who knows?...we may just come out smokin.

We KNOW we can finish, but I sure would enjoy a beatdown of these fools.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:39 am

Seattle loses this one because:
Weather (the heat will cause the overworked defense to wilt in second half)
Grass (Seattle is abysmal on grass)
Road (Seattle is weak on the road)
Opponent (Rams match up is a nightmare for Seattle)
Tired old script (Bevfool, Bevfool, Bevfool).....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:41 am

When was the last time we scored a touchdown on our opening drive? Go research that.

Wasn't it the playoff game in Atlanta last season. We had about the best opening drive of all time and scored, then it all fell apart
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:59 am

Wasn't it the playoff game in Atlanta last season. We had about the best opening drive of all time and scored, then it all fell apart

Good call. I guess I meant regular season.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:
Good call. I guess I meant regular season.

LOL, I think this proves your point about apathy. Before, you would have looked up the info yourself and half the people on this thread would have also been researching it. But....
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Glad I'm not the only one. My apathy started after the Super Bowl loss to the Patriots and lack of accountability from the coaching staff. It was a mistake. Yet no one admits that it was a mistake. Just excuse making for a very bad call with our coaches having full knowledge concerning all the personnel involved and what they were asked to do. I don't know that I feel excited again until Bevell and Cable are gone. I have no idea why Pete is refusing to hold his OC and O-line/OC of the running game accountable for the poor offensive development. I don't want Pete out the door because the defense is still excellent. We would lose that if we lose the head coach. At some point Pete has to follow his mantra for the offense. He can't keep overlooking the failure year after year on the O-line and the lack of ability to use effectively pieces like Jimmy Graham or the slow starts on offense. Coaches have to be held to the same standard as players or things don't work as we're seeing right now.

That says it all.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:03 am

Old but Slow wrote:Not me. I am still on board for now. I am not sold, but I like our chances. It is more fun to watch a strong offense, but a strong defense is fun, too.

Not many teams have the advantage that we have with our defensive backfield. We are still seeing a trial with our 2CB and our nickel back, but so far, so good. Griffin seems like a keeper, and Coleman is making plays.

I am not sure about Russell's high throws early in games. Is it a pattern? Too fired up? ?

If we can avoid serious injuries (J J Watt, Beckham), I see us with a pretty good run going forward.

Discouraged? Apathetic? This is the Seahawks. Slow starters, we get used to being negative early. Buck up. We got this.

I'm still not won over. The Rams lost this game more than we won it. How many times do you see a play like we saw in the first quarter where an apparent touchdown turn out to be a turnover and touchback? How many times do you see a team benefit from 5 turnovers, put up just 16 points, and have to hang on for dear life in the closing seconds? Just a random comparison, Jacksonville also benefited from 5 turnovers Sunday, had fewer first downs, fewer total yards, were 0-3 in the red zone, yet they used those turnovers to beat a heavily favored Steelers team by a 30-9 count.

We're 5 weeks into the season, and I feel that there are 4 teams in our conference that are clearly better (Packers, Falcons, Eagles, and Panthers) and 5 that are roughly equal (Redskins, Lions, Vikings, Cowboys, and Rams). I get the feeling that we are a .500ish team.

But we'll see. We aren't in that bad of shape heading into our bye, leading the division and we have some very winnable games coming out of our bye in the form of the Giants and Texans. But this offense is going to have to start putting points on the board, especially those times when we're gifted with 5 frigging turnovers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:37 pm

I’m way on board....& I always will be. Am I frustrated? Worried? Sure I am!!! But I’m a HAWK fan for life. I wear Seahawks jammies for chrissssakes, & and I spend too much time reading about and listening to Hawk sh-t so to claim apathy.

Hell, I just bought 3 new Hawk shirts & I’m flying to two different states to watch Hawk’s games (& have also done so in losing seasons, too). Were I apathetic, I’d save my cheddar and go to Yosemite for the big fall bash or to Scottsdale to golf or back to Kauai for tropical food, golf, snorkeling, boogie boarding..... I’m the opposite of early being guilty of apathy, and that’s just me. I realize we are all oriented differently, and I’m not saying my blind faith is the right way to be. I have a tendency to struggle w/ those who give up so soon (#2-2isadisaster) - maybe that’s a me problem. I mean no disrespect... I just see it very differently.

During the game, I’m swearing,giving up, scaring by the dog, pacing, changing shirts (you don’t know...it might help??), worrying the neighborhood.... but I’m never ever apathetic- though I can feign that from time to time.

#go hawks #c’mon hawk fans. LET’S GO!!!!!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I’m way on board....& I always will be. Am I frustrated? Worried? Sure I am!!! But I’m a HAWK fan for life. I wear Seahawks jammies for chrissssakes, & and I spend too much time reading about and listening to Hawk sh-t so to claim apathy.

Hell, I just bought 3 new Hawk shirts & I’m flying to two different states to watch Hawk’s games (& have also done so in losing seasons, too). Were I apathetic, I’d save my cheddar and go to Yosemite for the big fall bash or to Scottsdale to golf or back to Kauai for tropical food, golf, snorkeling, boogie boarding..... I’m the opposite of early being guilty of apathy, and that’s just me. I realize we are all oriented differently, and I’m not saying my blind faith is the right way to be. I have a tendency to struggle w/ those who give up so soon (#2-2isadisaster) - maybe that’s a me problem. I mean no disrespect... I just see it very differently.

During the game, I’m swearing,giving up, scaring by the dog, pacing, changing shirts (you don’t know...it might help??), worrying the neighborhood.... but I’m never ever apathetic- though I can feign that from time to time.

#go hawks #c’mon hawk fans. LET’S GO!!!!!

I'll go toe to toe with anyone that wants to match monetary expenditures on supporting the Hawks. I've already been to one road game (vs. Packers) and have another one planned (Arizona) and will be going to at least one home game (Texans). I have a traditional blue 12th man flag that I fly in front of my house just below Old Glory (come kneel on my property and you'll get a boot strategically placed between your lower pair of cheeks). I'm a former season ticket holder, went to one of the first ever Hawks training camps in '76, walked the construction site of the Kingdome and saw it imploded from the 42nd floor of the Wells Fargo building.

I am not politically correct when I'm watching a Hawks game. A receiver drops a pass, a DB an interception, or a kicker a FG, I'm libel to yell "take him out and shoot him!"

But I'm not some mindless cheerleader whose job it is to paint a smiley face on each and every situation. I'll cuss at our players, second guess our coaches, yell at the refs, argue with fans. It's what I do.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:40 am

Roger that.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:54 am

I'll go toe to toe with anyone that wants to match monetary expenditures on supporting the Hawks. I've already been to one road game (vs. Packers) and have another one planned (Arizona) and will be going to at least one home game (Texans). I have a traditional blue 12th man flag that I fly in front of my house just below Old Glory (come kneel on my property and you'll get a boot strategically placed between your lower pair of cheeks). I'm a former season ticket holder, went to one of the first ever Hawks training camps in '76, walked the construction site of the Kingdome and saw it imploded from the 42nd floor of the Wells Fargo building.

I am not politically correct when I'm watching a Hawks game. A receiver drops a pass, a DB an interception, or a kicker a FG, I'm libel to yell "take him out and shoot him!"

But I'm not some mindless cheerleader whose job it is to paint a smiley face on each and every situation. I'll cuss at our players, second guess our coaches, yell at the refs, argue with fans. It's what I do.

Man I love you River!!
obiken
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum