ZBS VS Power blocking

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

ZBS VS Power blocking

Postby Anthony » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:55 am

So in the first half ZBS and we do little. Second half power blocking and we explode. FYI whenever we go uptempo we use power blocking, pretty much anytime we really move the ball and score is power blocking. HMM and yet we only do it when we have too.
Anthony
Legacy

Re: ZBS VS Power blocking

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:57 pm

We also script the first 15 plays (I heard it was 15, but could be wrong).
If I'm right, it has the possibility of being the first 5 possessions.
That's a lot of time and effort lost trying to figure out what the opposing Defense is doing - up to a full quarter or thereabouts.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:55 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We also script the first 15 plays (I heard it was 15, but could be wrong).
If I'm right, it has the possibility of being the first 5 possessions.
That's a lot of time and effort lost trying to figure out what the opposing Defense is doing - up to a full quarter or thereabouts.

Hm I am guessing if that is the case they are not watching film much then. That said maybe they should cut the scripted down to 5 also even if they are running 15 scripted why can't those 15 be with power blocking and not ZBS? in 2015 when Rw wen ton his run they are using power blocking the whole game
Anthony
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:04 pm

I've been suggesting they simplify the blocking scheme for a while.
Going to a drive blocking scheme it should also increase the potential pool of players because not all OL can play both schemes. It would also lessen the learning curve for young players who weren't taught well at the college level.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:50 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I've been suggesting they simplify the blocking scheme for a while.
Going to a drive blocking scheme it should also increase the potential pool of players because not all OL can play both schemes. It would also lessen the learning curve for young players who weren't taught well at the college level.

okay hold your hat.......I totally Agree, just joking yes I think you make a good point
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:02 am

NorthHawk wrote:I've been suggesting they simplify the blocking scheme for a while.

Agreed. It's pretty clear that what we've been doing the past few season hasn't worked, and now would be a good time to experiment with simplifying our blocking scheme and get back to the basics. We're down to the 3rd player on our depth chart at LT.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:40 am

Anthony wrote:

Hm I am guessing if that is the case they are not watching film much then. That said maybe they should cut the scripted down to 5 also even if they are running 15 scripted why can't those 15 be with power blocking and not ZBS? in 2015 when Rw wen ton his run they are using power blocking the whole game

This has been my contention for a long time now. I don't think they watch film and scheme/game plan for an opponent's weakness. "We do what we do..." mentality is ridiculous.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 am

To say, or even imagine that coaches at this level are not watching much film is ludicrous, watching film is all these guys do ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:03 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:To say, or even imagine that coaches at this level are not watching much film is ludicrous, watching film is all these guys do ...

That is probably true but then how come their scripted plays usually do little. To me that means either they are not, which I know they are, or they really dont care, and "do what they do' even if it does not work, till they have no choice but and let RW I mean how often have we really done much in the 1st qtr? Probably goes back to late 2015 when they finally stopped all that crap and ran uptempo with power blocking.

I mean its pretty simple power blocking uptempo we move the ball and score and it plays to our offenses strengths, ZBS slowed down we do little and it plays against our strength.

Things that make you go HMMM
Anthony
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Last nights KC/Washington game showed how different formations for the same play works in confusing the opposing Defense.
When was the last time we stole someone's plays and made them our own? Could it have been the Read Option when Wilson became the starter?
It's time to add some new looks on Offense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:22 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Last nights KC/Washington game showed how different formations for the same play works in confusing the opposing Defense.
When was the last time we stole someone's plays and made them our own? Could it have been the Read Option when Wilson became the starter?
It's time to add some new looks on Offense.

Agreed
Anthony
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Anthony wrote:
That is probably true but then how come their scripted plays usually do little. To me that means either they are not, which I know they are, or they really dont care, and "do what they do' even if it does not work, till they have no choice but and let RW I mean how often have we really done much in the 1st qtr? Probably goes back to late 2015 when they finally stopped all that crap and ran uptempo with power blocking.

I mean its pretty simple power blocking uptempo we move the ball and score and it plays to our offenses strengths, ZBS slowed down we do little and it plays against our strength.

Things that make you go HMMM

Is this really Arsenio?
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:42 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:To say, or even imagine that coaches at this level are not watching much film is ludicrous, watching film is all these guys do ...

That remark caught my eye, too. My high school coaches back in the early '70's, making an extra $50 bucks a month to coach football, spent hours and hours pouring over low quality 8mm film. To even suggest that any coach at any level, let alone the guys that get paid handsomely for their labors, don't watch enough film is beyond ludicrous.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:58 pm

RiverDog wrote:
That remark caught my eye, too. My high school coaches back in the early '70's, making an extra $50 bucks a month to coach football, spent hours and hours pouring over low quality 8mm film. To even suggest that any coach at any level, let alone the guys that get paid handsomely for their labors, don't watch enough film is beyond ludicrous.

MY point is given how badly the 1st half and those scripted plays go it makes you think. The excuse we are seeing how they react to certain plays, well that is what tape is for. That was the point. I guess next time I will be clearer. Also, you are taking the post out of context you should go back and read the post and what it is in response to, it might make it more clear to you
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:19 am

Anthony wrote:MY point is given how badly the 1st half and those scripted plays go it makes you think. The excuse we are seeing how they react to certain plays, well that is what tape is for. That was the point. I guess next time I will be clearer. Also, you are taking the post out of context you should go back and read the post and what it is in response to, it might make it more clear to you

Hmm, I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to Cbob, who made the initial observation and interpreted your remarks the same way I did, so perhaps the breakdown in communication isn't so much with the receiver as it is with the sender. But no biggie. Thanks for setting us straight. Hmmm.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:30 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Hmm, I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to Cbob, who made the initial observation and interpreted your remarks the same way I did, so perhaps the breakdown in communication isn't so much with the receiver as it is with the sender. But no biggie. Thanks for setting us straight. Hmmm.

I did just say " I guess next time I will be clearer. " however since as you pointed out 2 of you took it that way, I obviously need to be clearer with what I mean and not leave it to interpretation. my apologies.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Was it just me or did anyone else notice the momentum shift in the 3rd qtr when the Oline picked up the blitz on two plays & gave Russ ample time to throw? Not sure of the time, but it was palapable. The Oline were high 5ing each other after those two plays. After that, it was as if a huge jolt of electricity lit the team up.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:Was it just me or did anyone else notice the momentum shift in the 3rd qtr when the Oline picked up the blitz on two plays & gave Russ ample time to throw? Not sure of the time, but it was palapable. The Oline were high 5ing each other after those two plays. After that, it was as if a huge jolt of electricity lit the team up.

yes they went to a power blocking system starting with Q3 it made a huge difference, simpler not rolling at the defenders feet
Anthony
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum