Your Gameplan VS. the Rams

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Your Gameplan VS. the Rams

Postby Largent80 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:35 am

So everyone is an armchair coach so what would be your offensive game plan against the Lambs????

I'm going to use past strengths and go against trends.

Hopefully this strategy will keep us out of 3rd and long where we are dreadful and the Lambs excel. Wilson and Lockett are kryptonite to the Lambs, Lockett has been a Ram killer early in his career. His 18 receptions in 23 targets for 296 yards is the most against any opponent. That includes 4 catches in 4 targets for 99 yards in the game in Los Angeles last year and 7 catches in 8 targets for 130 yards against the Rams in Seattle. He is coming off his best game of 2017 where he flashed some of his big play ability. He will be a key in this game as Doug Baldwin is still recovering from a groin injury, and the Rams tend to struggle on Lockett’s side of the field. Exploit that matchup.

Run from play action if the passing game is working because Donald and co. will be looking for a typical rushing attack. This may not be the game to run the ball on first down. Seattle is likely to see the least aggressive Rams pass rush in those situations. Los Angeles has allowed a ton of explosive plays, ranking 26th in explosive passes allowed and dead last in explosive rushes. The Seahawks will attack the Rams with guys like Lockett and Paul Richardson deep, but don’t be surprised if lesser known guys like Amara Darboh and Tanner McEvoy get some chances to make big plays.

How the team decides to handle snaps with C.J. Prosise and J.D. McKissic is something to watch as well. Prosise did not play in either Rams game last year. I really like how Thomas Rawls could influence this game. He will be hungry to prove his worth on every snap. There was a time when he was the most explosive runner in the NFL during his rookie year. This would be a great game to revisit those days.

On defense. Gurley is the sheep's leading receiver. Keep a guy on Gurley. Jared Goff has yet to prove himself against a great defense. They have faced the 18th, 24th, 26th, and 32nd ranked defenses in points allowed, and the 14th, 19th, 20th ranked defenses in opponent passer rating.

Lastly....Goff and the Rams rely heavily on the clever schemes of new head coach Sean McVay to create open spaces for Goff to throw into. Seattle’s defense is tough to move around as they have a simple scheme that they play with great discipline. Goff and his receivers will be forced to win their matchups.

Goff prefers to throw down the right side of the field. That either means Richard Sherman will get more opportunities to make big plays or that Goff will need to go away from his comfort zone. This would be a great game for Shaquill Griffin to take the next step in his development and create a turnover. The Rams love to throw deep. They are tops in the NFL in yards per attempt. Seattle has been terrific at defending the deep ball.

The Seahawks also have excelled in the red zone, ranking 2nd in the NFL in that category. This game could come down to a few possessions where an offense has to settle for 3 points instead of a touchdown.

Seattle needs to protect the ball especially on the road to win, and it will help the ST with Thorpe coming back.
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Your Gameplan VS. the Rams

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 am

It's all on the Offense to contribute early.
Show some new plays or maybe run some screens successfully if the pressure is too much.
KC used the shovel pass successfully on Monday night. It looks like it might be an easy addition and something we haven't done much in the past.
But the OL has to continue where it left off on Sunday night, or at least get it going early. Rolling Russell out is good as it puts pressure on the edge of the Defense and gives options as well as changes the blocking angles for the OL.
In the Red Zone I would love to see them stack Graham with McEvoy in the slot or at WR.
Defensively no big run plays. Gurley will get his yardage, but make him earn it.
Put pressure on Goff to get him off his mark.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:57 am

Gameplan?

Thats easy!

Bevells 15, no changes, same ones each week, Rams have the playbook
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Rabbits Foot, 4 leaf Clover, Horseshoe, ect ect. No, we have no chance. 28-13 Lambs.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Short passing game is what I'd like to see more of, including an outlet when nothing's down field. No 7 step drops.
Our offense is seldom confident in 1st halves. Takes them (and you know who) an entire half to wake up.

Rhythm is key, especially on the road. It's discouraging to try to even talk offense when we have one of the worst OC's in the game now.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:46 pm

My gameplan is on defense. The Lambs have been tearing it up this year with complex route running featuring borderline (and over the line) illegal picks and rub routes. We've got a very experienced secondary that can't let this catch them by surprise (though they've been susceptible to it before), they need to stay sharp and aware and play to the secondary contact instead of around it; force the officials to address it.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Just a throw-in -- when was the last time that the Seahawks were decided underdogs and not have any of the talking heads give us a chance to win the game? Been awhile... maybe the SB against Denver?
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Do what we do on defense.
Get the ball to McKissic on check outs and screens to counter the strong aggressive front dline of the rams. I think if we just try to bash it up the middle with Lacy it will be a long day from our offense. Also gotta get the TE involved, whether it be graham or willson.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:54 am

Mow the lawn.
Stack three cords of wood.
Enjoy post-stack beer and cigar.
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:09 am

c_hawkbob wrote:My gameplan is on defense. The Lambs have been tearing it up this year with complex route running featuring borderline (and over the line) illegal picks and rub routes. We've got a very experienced secondary that can't let this catch them by surprise (though they've been susceptible to it before), they need to stay sharp and aware and play to the secondary contact instead of around it; force the officials to address it.

Just wanted to point out that Griffin will probably start at CB and Coleman at Nickel. Hardly experienced HOWEVER both have shown to be very good.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 am

The winning game plan is easy.

Get rid of the ZBS. We win! Yeah!!!!!
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am

On offense: Misdirection, moving the pocket, SCREEN PASSES, short drops. I almost think that establishing the short passing game to set up the run might be better than the usual run-to-set-up-the-pass strategy. I don't have much faith in the running game early, mainly because of how mismatched the Hawks' OL is agains the Rams' DL. The only early success I can imagine is if Wilson can pass before their pass rush gets to him. And early success--and therefore sustained drives--will make or break this game.

On defense: I'm not so worried as long as the offense can keep them on the sideline for 1/2 of the time during the first half. The possible exception is on screens and dump-off plays to Gurley. They've had success with those, and the Hawks have been vulnerable to them. Keep Kam in the box to help sniff those out, and make Goff beat the coverage further down the field. I don't think he'll have enough time in the pocket to do that consistently.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Gameplan well simply run the power blocking, quick passes, use the pass to set up the run, run uptempo. simple as that is what always works

What will probably happen, 15 wasted scripted plays to feel out the defense when that's what tape is for, and then in the 2nd half they say well that's not working so let go with power blocking and uptmepo, and hope we did not wait too long.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Anthony wrote:Gameplan well simply run the power blocking, quick passes, use the pass to set up the run, run uptempo. simple as that is what always works

What will probably happen, 15 wasted scripted plays to feel out the defense when that's what tape is for, and then in the 2nd half they say well that's not working so let go with power blocking and uptmepo, and hope we did not wait too long.

There is no plan, Brockers and Donald are going to kill us on offense. On defense TG is going to run all over us, sorry I hope I am wrong.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:52 pm

obiken wrote:

There is no plan, Brockers and Donald are going to kill us on offense. On defense TG is going to run all over us, sorry I hope I am wrong.

I am so sorry for you
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Evidently the lambs have become elevated to monsters.....I don't see it but what can ya say?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Largent80 wrote:Evidently the lambs have become elevated to monsters.....I don't see it but what can ya say?

Well, to be fair they have beaten the 32nd, 24th, and 26th ranked scoring defense and lost to the 18th ranked and we are only ranked 10th I am being sarcastic.

We are ranked in the top 15 in both defense and offense scoring

Ranks are top 15 in offense but 28th in scoring defense.

We have a legit shot all depends on how they call the game and long they wait to go to the power blocking uptempo offense, that works as opposed to the ZBS whatever they call it that does not.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:05 am

There are a lot of factors that determine the outcome of a game. We can handicap using stats or whatever (like I did in the OP), but in the end it's a game of strategy and some luck as well.

Hang onto the ball is a good place to start.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:20 am

We've never matched up well against Jeff Fischer-coached teams, and I don't expect that trend to be reversed overnight as most of their core defensive players are still there. Odhiambo is expected to play, but I don't think having him is going to make a great deal of difference. Hopefully Bevell doesn't call a lot of 7 step drops as it's a foregone conclusion that we're going to have protection issues. Big opportunity for Thomas Rawls. Establishing the run is critical in this one.

The defense is banged up, too, with Avril and his replacement, Quinton Jefferson, both out, and Jeremy Lane listed as doubtful. I still expect the defense to keep this one close, but unless we get some production out of our special teams and turnovers out of our defense, I don't like our chances.

Although I normally don't like seeing our bye come this early, I think it's in a good spot for us this season. We don't look like a playoff quality team, but neither does the rest of our conference.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:55 am

Were playing the #1 scoring team in the league featuring the #1 QB in yards per completion and passer rating also I believe. On the bright side their defense is currently ranked 14th.

Seattle has to get pressure on Goff early and often. They have to contain Gurley who is #2 in the league in rushing and #1 in all purpose TD's.
They need to run including 50+ from Russ to shorten the game and rest the defense. They need to score a decent amount ultimately because I don't think they are shutting down this offense completely which means Russ and the receivers need to be on the same page. Im thinking unless they put up at least 24 they will not win.

The last few years I accepted that the Hawks might trip over the middling Rams and inconsistent but dangerous Cardinals during the season however they would be standing on top at years end.

This Rams game has a different feel. I think its the battle for the dominance in this division moving forward, a potential changing of the guard with a young innovative offensive minded coach leading a young stacked team.

The Hawks need it bad, worse than the Rams. They need to step on the Rams windpipe and not let off, knock them down a peg.
Should be interesting.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:38 am

Hawktawk wrote:Were playing the #1 scoring team in the league featuring the #1 QB in yards per completion and passer rating also I believe. On the bright side their defense is currently ranked 14th.

Seattle has to get pressure on Goff early and often. They have to contain Gurley who is #2 in the league in rushing and #1 in all purpose TD's.
They need to run including 50+ from Russ to shorten the game and rest the defense. They need to score a decent amount ultimately because I don't think they are shutting down this offense completely which means Russ and the receivers need to be on the same page. Im thinking unless they put up at least 24 they will not win.

The last few years I accepted that the Hawks might trip over the middling Rams and inconsistent but dangerous Cardinals during the season however they would be standing on top at years end.

This Rams game has a different feel. I think its the battle for the dominance in this division moving forward, a potential changing of the guard with a young innovative offensive minded coach leading a young stacked team.

The Hawks need it bad, worse than the Rams. They need to step on the Rams windpipe and not let off, knock them down a peg.
Should be interesting.

I kinda get that feeling, too. It's like when Hairball first took over the Niners, a team that had stockpiled a lot of highly rated talent but were never able to put it all together.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:57 pm

I don't agree that the Hawk's need this win more than the Rams. The Rams haven't been relevant for what 10+ years? I think they really need this win but I hope they don't get it....
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Yes the Hawks do.
Rams 3-1
Hawks 2-2

Divisional game. Seahawks heading into the bye. Going into the bye at 2-3 with an NFC West loss and a bunch of difficult games coming up says they definitely need this game more than L.A does.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:54 am

Largent80 wrote:Yes the Hawks do.
Rams 3-1
Hawks 2-2

Divisional game. Seahawks heading into the bye. Going into the bye at 2-3 with an NFC West loss and a bunch of difficult games coming up says they definitely need this game more than L.A does.

Exactly, and they would be 4-1. with a 2 game lead. Sorry this is almost a must win.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 am

My gameplan is to not do what we have done the last three road games vs. the Rams. Whatever that is.

We always find a way to come out and play terrible in these games. Losing Carson is a big blow. I hope Rawls is ready to become something other than a small 2015 glimpse of greatness.

Can Rawls make it through the game without stubbing a toe and going on IR?

Warm day, on grass. We know this script, right? Only chance we have is to keep our defense fresh and not get destroyed in the TOP battle.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Aaaaaaaand... right on schedule.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:21 pm

obiken wrote:

Wrong.... :lol:
Largent80
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum