Game thread Rams Vs Hawks.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Game thread Rams Vs Hawks.

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:36 am

If we lost it you'd sure be casting it as huge.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:50 am

c_hawkbob wrote:If we lost it you'd sure be casting it as huge.

Indeed, I would, but not because of the head-to-head aspect. Had we lost, we would have been two games back. The fact is that first head-to-head result in an intradivisional contest only comes into play after the result of the second. Looking at the game exclusively as a tiebreaker, losing the head-to-head with the Packers is more relevant than winning the first head-to-head with the Rams.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:07 am

I think most people would say we are leading the NFC West, or at minimum -tied with the advantage. They were sure makes g that point on Hawk Talk post game on 710. I’m not quite sure why you’d argue that. We need to win the West, first & foremost. Losing that game, while it wouldn’t have necessarily been season over, it would have been tough to overcome a two game hole AND losing the tie-break advantage.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 am

You could watch a thousand games and never see a play like that. We were luckier than a 3-peckered Billy goat in a herd of sheep.

Haven't we seen that play or similar made by this D twice in the last few years? Not saying it's a great strategy to rely on, but just pointing out that "luck" always seems to come to those who put themselves in position for it to happen (which, by the way, applies to the rest of our lives as well).

I wouldn't categorize Kupp's incompletion in the end zone as a drop. He laid out for it and was fully extended when it bounced off his fingertips. It would have been a fantastic catch had he held on. Goff led him too much.

The pass was also going Mach 3, as our D forced it to be.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 am

RW’s pick was bad, but I loved his hustle to run down and force a tackle. Even though the pick was his fault, he saved 4 points with his hustle..never giving up. That spirit, as it was w/ Earl, won this game.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 am

It's no surprise the Rams started out pretty well this year.
Nobody had any film on them and to their credit they have been well prepared to play well.
With a lot of talent on the team it's a matter of putting the pieces in the right places and along with an improved OL, they should do better early.
It's going to get harder as the year wears on when teams get some film on them and see tendencies and weaknesses to exploit.
They're still going to win their share of games, but I think they will slip back a little as the year progresses.
That team looks like it might just take a big step next year, though and is on the rise.

For us, or OL still needs to get the run game going and we need to go up tempo to get a rhythm.
It's good to see some success with Graham in the Red Zone and the Defense played pretty well as a whole.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:18 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I think most people would say we are leading the NFC West, or at minimum -tied with the advantage. They were sure makes g that point on Hawk Talk post game on 710. I’m not quite sure why you’d argue that. We need to win the West, first & foremost. Losing that game, while it wouldn’t have necessarily been season over, it would have been tough to overcome a two game hole AND losing the tie-break advantage.

I wasn't arguing it as much as I was not celebrating it like some of my other friends. IMO owning a tiebreaker over a divisional opponent in October isn't worth turning handsprings over. Tiebreakers, particularly the divisional tiebreakers where there's two games a season, don't come into play until the last few weeks of the season when teams start to stratify by their W/L record, so there's no sense worrying about them...or celebrating winning 1/2 of one...until then.

We won a very important game over a divisional opponent, and that is worth celebrating. Winning 1/2 of the tiebreaker isn't.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 am

burrrton wrote:Haven't we seen that play or similar made by this D twice in the last few years? Not saying it's a great strategy to rely on, but just pointing out that "luck" always seems to come to those who put themselves in position for it to happen (which, by the way, applies to the rest of our lives as well).

We were opportunistic, no doubt about it. Many players would have given up on it or not had the presence of mind to slap at it like Earl did, and I don't want to take anything away from his role in it.

But how many times have you seen a player extending the ball for the plane of the goal line, lose control of the ball for less a second, have it bump the pylon just during that split second that he did not have control of it, and have it ruled a fumble and a touchback?

What I think you are referring to was a few years ago when Megatron fumbled at the goal line when Kam batted it away and it went out of the end zone (courtesy KJ), but it wasn't this momentary loss/regain control right at the pylon thing. We got damn lucky.
Last edited by RiverDog on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:47 am

Beating the Rams on the road is a big deal. Now they have to come to our house and win to even it up. That isn't easy. I would have agreed with Riverdog if we had beaten the Rams at home, but that is expected. Beating the Rams on the road is an important win, very important. It sets up us up very well for taking the division and guaranteeing at least one home game. It's not everything, but this win was an important and valuable win.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:48 am

"We won and it showed that our OL is SLOWLY getting better. But we won, we are tied and we are freaking miracle!!"
- obiken

obiken...with all due respect...

The OL still needs a near COMPLETE overhaul at season's end.

The idea that this group is worth gelling and will improve in the future, is precisely the kind of thinking that landed us in this predicament to begin with. The OL has flashes here and there, but nothing that merits a notion that they're going to get better. It's been a major problem now since 2015.

We win in spite of our offensive game plans much more often then we do because of them. Neither Cable or Bevell generate any interest for HC positions during the offseason, because the rest of the league has known for a little while now that they suck.

Pete and John...yep, they''re culpable, too. But unlike Tom and Darrell, they have a Great deal to do with why we finally have a Lombardi in the trophy case.

IMO, as long as Pete (and John) insist on being stuck on stupid in this regard, you can expect little to no change concerning OL (and, well, our offense as a whole) 'improvement'.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:56 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Beating the Rams on the road is a big deal. Now they have to come to our house and win to even it up. That isn't easy. I would have agreed with Riverdog if we had beaten the Rams at home, but that is expected. Beating the Rams on the road is an important win, very important. It sets up us up very well for taking the division and guaranteeing at least one home game. It's not everything, but this win was an important and valuable win.

I never said it wasn't a big win, on the contrary, it's huge, home or away. The Rams have always been a tough out for us, as they were yesterday, and it's nice to get that one behind us.

But make no mistake: We have a lot of work to do if we are to get back to the SB.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm

RiverDog wrote:I never said it wasn't a big win, on the contrary, it's huge, home or away. The Rams have always been a tough out for us, as they were yesterday, and it's nice to get that one behind us.

But make no mistake: We have a lot of work to do if we are to get back to the SB.

That could be said of anyone. I'm not seeing any powerhouse teams yet. Just some teams starting real well. Every team has weaknesses. If our offense can get better, we'll be a top 3 contender, we're probably top 5 to 8 right now.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:15 pm

What I think you are referring to was a few years ago when Megatron fumbled at the goal line when Kam batted it away and it went out of the end zone (courtesy KJ), but it wasn't this momentary loss/regain control right at the pylon thing. We got damn lucky.

There was that Kam play, but Thomas has done it before, too (and to the Rams, coincidentally).

Again, call it lucky, but it's funny how "lucky" the same guys get over and over again, isn't it?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Zorn76 wrote:"We won and it showed that our OL is SLOWLY getting better. But we won, we are tied and we are freaking miracle!!"
- obiken

obiken...with all due respect...

The OL still needs a near COMPLETE overhaul at season's end.

The idea that this group is worth gelling and will improve in the future, is precisely the kind of thinking that landed us in this predicament to begin with. The OL has flashes here and there, but nothing that merits a notion that they're going to get better. It's been a major problem now since 2015.

Zorn, how many returning OL are there from last year? I believe that 60% of last year's OL is gone now. So how much do you want to overhaul the OL next year? 80-100%? Remember, what you replace the oline with may not be any better and could possibly be worse. Some have made that case this year when we got a former #1 draft pick to bolster the Pro Bowl center (Britt) and moved Ifedi (another high round draft pick) to RT and brought in veterans for RG.

Seems like they are trying to solve the riddle but are we sure it is the personnel on the field or the coach or a combo of both?
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:That could be said of anyone. I'm not seeing any powerhouse teams yet. Just some teams starting real well. Every team has weaknesses. If our offense can get better, we'll be a top 3 contender, we're probably top 5 to 8 right now.

Well my anxiety over the Texans game sure did dwindle after Watt and Mercilus went down this weekend. I never like to see anyone get hurt but man, that is going to devast that team. The Giants, too. Wow, can you imagine the number of WRs that went down in that friggen game?

Health is going to be an issue this year. I hope we get healthy this week and stay there.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:45 pm

id,

I would say that part of this (OL evaluation) process is hindered by Cable's ineptitude at large. Or to put it another way, he stinks. Bad. So in that context I would agree more to your point - that with sh**** coaching it's difficult to ascertain what you got.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't change the fact that there really isn't much worth keeping of this group.

Anyone would be hard pressed to make a legit case for Infedi, Glowinski, Reec, or even Fant at this point. It doesn't wash. These guys have shown next to Nothing as starters.

And this is why it's absolutely Crucial to keep flushing the OL toilet until we purge ourselves of the crap that remains. The Only recent exception has been Britt, but he's a 100 to 1 shot example.

You can't polish a turd. And right now, overall, that's exactly what our OL has been going on 3 yrs now.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:55 pm

The game reminded me of any number of games in 2013. That was the last time Seattle beat the rams on the road, the golden tate wave bye bye game. Last second stop in our end zone to wrap it up that game too.

A win is a win. The bye comes at a perfect time.i like our position
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Zorn76 wrote:id,

I would say that part of this (OL evaluation) process is hindered by Cable's ineptitude at large. Or to put it another way, he stinks. Bad. So in that context I would agree more to your point - that with sh**** coaching it's difficult to ascertain what you got.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't change the fact that there really isn't much worth keeping of this group.

Anyone would be hard pressed to make a legit case for Infedi, Glowinski, Reec, or even Fant at this point. It doesn't wash. These guys have shown next to Nothing as starters.

And this is why it's absolutely Crucial to keep flushing the OL toilet until we purge ourselves of the crap that remains. The Only recent exception has been Britt, but he's a 100 to 1 shot example.

You can't polish a turd. And right now, overall, that's exactly what our OL has been going on 3 yrs now.

Totally disagree with you on Rees. How many times in the past has Robert Quinn just totally dominated our LT? I only heard his name once yesterday and that was when the RB totally missed the block on Quinn and ran an outlet route instead. I think it was McKissic but I could be wrong on that.

Also, now that we know Joke-L is going for Knee surgery, how much of the OL blocking schemes was going to help him out? Hopefully he comes back full strength and the OL can continue getting better. I'm actually liking what I am seeing this early out of the OL.

Edited: I was wrong, it was Rawls who ran the outlet route.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:That (a lot of work to do to get to SB) could be said of anyone. I'm not seeing any powerhouse teams yet. Just some teams starting real well. Every team has weaknesses. If our offense can get better, we'll be a top 3 contender, we're probably top 5 to 8 right now.

Very true. At least in the NFC, no one is running away and hiding, and even the winless 49'ers and Giants don't look like winless teams. It's a very competitive conference so far.

I'll agree with placing us within a group of 5-8 teams if it's limited to just the NFC as that coincides with my .500ish assessment.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:17 am

The game reminded me of any number of games in 2013.

This is worth remembering. We waxed a few teams that year, including the last game of the year (:)), so I think that tends to warp perception, but we were in a lot of squeakers and clunkers considering we were generally considered the best team in the NFL from start to finish.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 am

burrrton wrote:
This is worth remembering. We waxed a few teams that year, including the last game of the year (:)), so I think that tends to warp perception, but we were in a lot of squeakers and clunkers considering we were generally considered the best team in the NFL from start to finish.

Ha! I believe we were suppose to be "waxed" in the Super Bowl that year, too.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:24 am

It's pretty hard to make comparisons at this point in our current season, but it helps to remember just how dominating we were in 2013.

Lest we forget, in 2013, we waxed the defending NFC champ 49'ers 29-3 in our home opener and came from behind to beat in overtime what was at the time a SB contending Texans team on the road. We started out the season with a club record 4-0 before losing a close one in Indy, also an eventual playoff team, to hit our bye at 4-1. We had one game, our season opener on the road against Carolina, a team that would eventually finish 12-4, in which we scored fewer than 20 points. 3 of the 5 teams in that early schedule made the playoffs.

We won 7 straight coming out of our bye, which ironically fell in Week 6 just as it does this season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:17 am

We can easily come out of the bye and run 3 or 4 in a row. Not counting the Skins.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:52 am

obiken wrote:We can easily come out of the bye and run 3 or 4 in a row. Not counting the Skins.

The way its shaping up, we'll be coming out of our bye into a soft spot on our schedule. The Giants are winless and just lost their star receiver, Odell Beckham, for the season, and the Texans just lost who is arguably the best defensive player in the game for at least the rest of this month, along with another defensive starter, Whitney Mercilus, lost for the season. Plus Houston's rookie quarterback will be making his first trip to the Clink, never a friendly venue to opposing QB's not to mention rookie QB's.

The Redskins are going to be a tough out, but it is a home game so you have to think that we'll be favored. Then it's off to Arizona. We haven't lost to the Cards in Glendale since 2012.

After that, it gets considerably tougher, hosting the defending NFC champ Falcons and the current NFC East division leading Eagles along with a couple of challenging road games against the Jags and Cowboys.

But overall, I like how this schedule is shaping up. The toughest games we have left...Skins, Falcons, Eagles, and Rams...are all at home. The only road game left on the schedule against a team currently over .500 is against the 3-2 Jags.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 am

It's pretty hard to make comparisons at this point in our current season, but it helps to remember just how dominating we were in 2013.

We ended up winning a lot of games, but Indy hung 34 on us, we needed a near-miraculous comeback to beat a winless TB team in OT, and we were a .500 team over the last quarter of the season.

That's nitpicking because it *was* dominating by NFL standards, but again, there were points throughout that season that gave some of us pause.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:19 am

burrrton wrote:We ended up winning a lot of games, but Indy hung 34 on us, we needed a near-miraculous comeback to beat a winless TB team in OT, and we were a .500 team over the last quarter of the season.

That's nitpicking because it *was* dominating by NFL standards, but again, there were points throughout that season that gave some of us pause.

Well, if you're going to equate our 2013 team where we were a .500 team over the last quarter of the regular season (and 14-1 over the rest of the season) vs. this season's 3-2 team at the beginning of this season, then go right ahead. But you'll have to do it without me. I don't look too good in a space suit, so if you don't mind, I'll stay here on terra firma.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 am

I'll say! This is how that fateful year looked while we were in in (w/o the benefit of super bowl 48 in our hind sight):

Week 1 - @ Carolina W 12 - 7. Didn't look great in week one almost all game; 4th Q 43 yard TD saves the day. Panthers ended up going 12 - 4.
Week 2 - VS. SF W 29 - 3. This was a night game at the clink. Niners ended up going 12 - 4.
Week 3 - VS. Jax W 45 - 17. This was a decisive win against a terrible team. Jags ended up going 4 - 12.
Week 4 - @ Texans W 23 - 20 (OT). We had to Rally from a 20 - 3 start; needed Cushing out and Sherman's pick-6 in the 4th. RW was 12/23 for 123 w/ 5 sacks. Texans final record was 2 - 14.
Week 5 - @ Colts L 28 - 34. Tough 4th Q road loss to a good team. Colts ended the season at 11 - 5.
Week 6 - VS. Tennessee W 20 - 13. Needed some luck to beat the middling Titans in the 4th. Haushka got knocked out of the game trying to tackle a player after a blocked FG). Titans were 4 - 12 that year.
Week 7 - @ Cards W 34 -22 This is when the Division was tough. Cards 10 - 6 at the end.
Week 8 - @ Rams W 14 - 9. Needed a goal line stand against the 3 - 5 Rams. We had 135 yards of total offense. Rams ended at 7 - 9.
Week 9 - VS. Tampa W 27 - 24 (OT). Needed to erase a 21-0 start against the 0-8 Bux and Mike Glennon at home. Bucs were 4 - 12 that year.
Week 10 - @ Atlanta W 33 - 10. Good win against a hapless 2 - 7 team. Falcons were 4 - 12 that year.
Week 11 - VS. Vikings W 41 - 20. Good win against a hapless 2 - 8 team, they ended the year at 5 - 10.
Week 12 - BYE WEEK (not week 6)
Week 13 - VS. Saints W 34 - 7. Good home win against a good team. Secured playoff spot and 2 games ahead of Saints for HFA. It was a home night game. Saints were 11 - 5.
Week 14 - @ Niners L 17 - 19. Lost in the final minute on the road to a good team. 12 - 4 at season's end.
Week 15 - @ Giants W 23 - 0. Won big with 5 INTs against a 5-8 Giants team. 7 - 9 at the end.
Week 16 - VS. Cardinals L 10 - 17. Lost in the 4th Q at home; first home loss in a while. 10 - 6 at the end.
Week 17 - VS. Rams W 27 - 9. Secured HFA throughout. 7 - 9 at the end.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 am

Oh for Pete's sake- I'm not trying to *equate* the two, and it probably wasn't as bad as I recall, but there *were* some games and periods of the season where we didn't look like the juggernaut we all assumed they were (and in hindsight they turned out to be).

It's just a throwaway observation/reminder that not every game is utter domination from start to finish, even for a dominating team.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:08 pm

burrrton wrote:Oh for Pete's sake- I'm not trying to *equate* the two, and it probably wasn't as bad as I recall, but there *were* some games and periods of the season where we didn't look like the juggernaut we all assumed they were (and in hindsight they turned out to be).

It's just a throwaway observation/reminder that not every game is utter domination from start to finish, even for a dominating team.

You're right, no team, even the great ones, dominate every game from start to finish. But our 2013 team was dominating a lot more than we weren't and had some fantastic blowout games against playoff quality teams where we beat the snot out of our opponents from start to finish in marquee matchups, including the home opener on SNF against the Niners and the fight for HFA on Monday Night Football against the Saints. Those two games sent shock waves through the league.

I'm sorry for raining on everyone's parade, but I just don't see many parallels between 2013 and 2017, at least not yet. Even in the Colts win, our only winning effort where we scored more than one TD, we looked absolutely putrid in the first two quarters and trailed at halftime. Hopefully going into our bye with a win and coming out on the soft part of our schedule will buy some time for this team to 'gel'. Maybe then I can jump on the bandwagon with you good folks, but right now, I just don't feel nearly as good about our team as I did in 2011-2014.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Nobody is saying we are going to win the Super Bowl because we are on the exact same tack as we were in 2013. What people are saying, me included (hence the reminder of game by game Ws/Ls/points and records of opponents), is that the 2013 iteration of the Hawks had some pretty big missteps that they were able to overcome. They quite nearly lost to the 2-14 Texans, the 4-12 Titans and the 4-12 Buccaneers (the latter two on our home turf). Pull up a game thread after those games and see what people were saying; I'd bet it is similar to the doom and gloom around here now.

I remember when 2013 started. I was filled with hope - even though we lost in the Divisional Round to the Falcons to close-out the season before, things were lining up to be good for the Hawks in 2013. Then out of the gate, we were stumbling against the Panthers who were only 6-10 and 7-9 in the two previous seasons. We did not know they would be good and end the season with a 12-4 record at the time. Everyone was in a panic mode saying what the hell was that? We almost lost to the lowly Panthers in what was supposed to be a season of hope. & I'm sure there was plenty of "Yeah, we won, but not by much" talk after that win.

I'm not trying to talk you off the ledge River. Just know that some of us find some solace in the fact that we won some UGLY games in each of the three times we went to the SB. In 2005, we were 2 & 2 (which was a disaster, remember??) after 4 contests and in 2014, we were 3 - 3 after the first 6. We lost games we should have won and made some victories closer than it felt like they should have ever been. I think, barring injury to key players, that we can get on a run and win the west and maybe play some or all of our playoff games at the Clink, and if that happens, I like our chances. A lot has to go right, and a lot could go wrong. We have to wait and see.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Sundays game was awesome. I had a good time watching it and especially all the defensive plays. THAT totally reminded me of 2013.

Perfect time for the bye, injuries galore, beat the team in front of you for first place and play the 0-5 Vagiants after the bye on the same field we won the superbowl on.

This is good. REAL good.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:58 pm

And night games at the Clink have been pretty damned phenomenal since Pete arrived. That is why I included that info in the data above...both the home Niner game and the MNF tilt against the Saints you reference were night games. Since Carroll came to town, the Hawks’ prime-time record is 20-3-1 which is best in the NFL by a mile. With our home record and them being night games (the second with a lot at stake), the Hawks were huge favorites.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:And night games at the Clink have been pretty damned phenomenal since Pete arrived. That is why I included that info in the data above...both the home Niner game and the MNF tilt against the Saints you reference were night games. Since Carroll came to town, the Hawks’ prime-time record is 20-3-1 which is best in the NFL by a mile. With our home record and them being night games (the second with a lot at stake), the Hawks were huge favorites.

It wasn't just wasn't since Pete arrived that we've played well in Prime Time. We've always played well. As a matter of fact, we have the best MNF winning percentage of any NFL team (.667). Heck, I can remember our first ever MNF game, and we won it courtesy of a Efren Herrera fake field goal.

I don't recall us being 'huge' favorites in our 2013 home opener vs. the Niners. They were the defending NFC champs and we didn't look all that great in our regular season opener at Carolina while the Niners were busy beating the Packers. That was the game where Russell Wilson and Kaepernick had a bet, loser had to shave off an eyebrow.

I understand all of the points being made about our predicament. Just understand that I am not at all comfortable with it. Part of it is that over the years, I've developed this natural tendency to lower my expectations, and that's not necessarily a bad things. I'm not severely depressed when we lose...I used to be irritable for days after a Dave Krieg moment...because I halfway expected it and I'm more thrilled when we win because it's a pleasant surprise. The other part of what some call being negative or a Debbie Downer is that I've driven myself to be objective and fair minded in everything I do, and how I view a football game is part of that process.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:18 pm

I understand all of the points being made about our predicament. Just understand that I am not at all comfortable with it.

I don't mean to imply that I'm completely comfortable, nor that I don't share your trepidation- I'm simply pointing out the silver lining that one could look to if they wanted to. A good team could have, and has had, games similar to what we've seen.

If ET hadn't gotten injured, we'd have a defense that was best in the league for half a decade running, and an offense that was merely adequate play from its line away from being solid.

Yeah, we're still waiting for that adequate play from our o-line, but if you're looking for a reason to take the pistol out of your mouth, one exists.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 pm

burrrton wrote:Yeah, we're still waiting for that adequate play from our o-line....

We've been waiting for 2.25 years for adequate play from our O-line. I feel as if I'm waiting for Santa Claus to come down my chimney.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 pm

RiverDog wrote:We've been waiting for 2.25 years for adequate play from our O-line. I feel as if I'm waiting for Santa Claus to come down my chimney.

Your point's well taken. :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:49 pm

RiverDog wrote:We've been waiting for 2.25 years for adequate play from our O-line. I feel as if I'm waiting for Santa Claus to come down my chimney.

Why, does Santa play on the defensive line? If so, you and Cable both have been waiting for him. :P
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:29 am

burrrton wrote:...if you're looking for a reason to take the pistol out of your mouth, one exists.

Oh, yea, let me respond to that comment. I have already provided a "reason to take the pistol out of your mouth", on this page a few posts above"

"The way its shaping up, we'll be coming out of our bye into a soft spot on our schedule. The Giants are winless and just lost their star receiver, Odell Beckham, for the season, and the Texans just lost who is arguably the best defensive player in the game for at least the rest of this month, along with another defensive starter, Whitney Mercilus, lost for the season. Plus Houston's rookie quarterback will be making his first trip to the Clink, never a friendly venue to opposing QB's not to mention rookie QB's.

The Redskins are going to be a tough out, but it is a home game so you have to think that we'll be favored. Then it's off to Arizona. We haven't lost to the Cards in Glendale since 2012.

After that, it gets considerably tougher, hosting the defending NFC champ Falcons and the current NFC East division leading Eagles along with a couple of challenging road games against the Jags and Cowboys.

But overall, I like how this schedule is shaping up. The toughest games we have left...Skins, Falcons, Eagles, and Rams...are all at home. The only road game left on the schedule against a team currently over .500 is against the 3-2 Jags.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 am

I wasn't necessarily directing my original point at you (at least as I recall)- like I said, it's just a throwaway observation, maybe more 'thinking out loud' than thinking I was making a paradigm-shattering statement.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 am

This was a good win (as all are but this is just a little sweeter considering our troubles with the Rams), but I'm not in the camp that it was crucial.
The Rams will come down to earth as the season wears on and others figure out what they are doing, but they will remain a dangerous team.
Meanwhile I expect us to get better during the season. The OL is key and I think it will improve even a little which can help. With our Defense, an extra 2 or 3 first downs
can be the difference in a win or loss especially if they come while protecting a lead or wearing down the clock.
NorthHawk
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum