Mc Dowell May return This Year

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Mc Dowell May return This Year

Postby Largent80 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:16 am

Malik McDowell, the Seahawks’ first draft pick in April after John Schneider traded back several times into the second round, started Seattle’s parade of untimely injuries when he ran an all-terrain vehicle into the ground several weeks before training camp in July—reportedly suffering either facial fractures and/or a brain injury that has kept him out of action and was rumored to be potentially career-ending. Seattle has been coy about producing a clear account of the accident or even what kind of wounds McDowell is recovering from, leaving a shroud of mystery around the situation since the rookie interior lineman didn’t appear at the Seahawks’ first camp practices. McDowell later reported to the team and was placed on the Non-Football Injury list when the offical roster was announced. Considering the extremity of the reports, many figured McDowell would miss probably the full season at a minimum.

However Friday Pete Carroll told reporters McDowell still has a chance to play this year. Perhaps more newsworthy, Carroll more specifically pronounced McDowell’s problem, calling it “a really bad concussion” according to the Seattle Times’s Bob Condotta.

Hypothetically, McDowell’s NFI-list status means he could begin practicing with the team as soon as the week after the Seahawks’ bye following its matchup with the Los Angeles Rams this Sunday. Of course, McDowell’s eligibility to return is not necessarily as important in this case as the team doctors’ determination that he’s fully ready to return to football and out of whatever protocol a concussion of this severity requires.

Seattle engineered a trade for then-New York Jets defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson in September, in part to fill McDowell’s expected role, but it’s possible the more recent injuries to Avril and Jefferson sharpened the urgency to add another contributor to the front four rotation. Carroll said in August the team considers its relationship with McDowell a long-term commitment, so will presumably do what’s in the best interest both for the Michigan State product’s lifelong health and the term of the team’s investment in him beyond 2017.

The update is not exactly breaking news in that sense. Nevertheless it’s encouraging if McDowell is doing well enough for Carroll to leave open the possibility for him to come back in the later part of the current season, and certainly supports a hope that the young tackle can be ready by 2018.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/10/6/16 ... nsive-line

Also Jefferson breaks his hand in practice after being obtained from the Rams as an addition from the Avril injury. Talk about snakebit.
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Mc Dowell May return This Year

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Concussions are a mother, and since it was a severe one, it's no wonder they suggest it might be career ending.
I hope he does come back, but when he's healthy.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 425hawkspark » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:25 pm

This would be amazing if true.
425hawkspark
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:13 pm

Hints of optimism on this front. Ultimately, the life-long heath of the player (whether a vet we all Love, respect and count on like Avril or a rookie like Malik - I just want them to be well and NOT risk the rest of their lives. I would love for it to be safe for both to return and wish the very best to them both.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 am

Pete recently said that Malik is not a consideration at this time. There was all sorts of interesting "tones" that felt like part of the subtext of what he said. Deion Jordan, however, may begin practicing here pretty soon.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 am

I forgot about Jones.
Maybe if he has his head on straight and is healthy, he can give us a jump on the edge with the pass rush and Avril possibly not returning.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:12 am

Nazir? Dion Jordan? who do you mean, North?

I just read that Dion Jordan is a few weeks away, Jefferson is out about 4 weeks and Cliff is just out indefinitely. OUCH. (not that Jordan is going to resurrect his fading career, but it sure would be nice if he did). Sure hope Bennett is ok and that his injury to his foot wasn't that bad. I am liking what I see in Sheldon and Frank. Nazir doing ok for a rookie.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Nazir? Dion Jordan? who do you mean, North?

I just read that Dion Jordan is a few weeks away, Jefferson is out about 4 weeks and Cliff is just out indefinitely. OUCH. (not that Jordan is going to resurrect his fading career, but it sure would be nice if he did). Sure hope Bennett is ok and that his injury to his foot wasn't that bad. I am liking what I see in Sheldon and Frank. Nazir doing ok for a rookie.

Apparently I was a mess earlier today (the other thread I didn't specify veteran FA LBs) and I meant Dion Jordan.
Thanks for picking that up, Sis.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 pm

McDowell is beginning to work out again.
It remains to be seen if he can progress enough to be able to play, though.

On another note, Cliff Avril is going on IR and according to Pete is seeing some doctors and has a big decision to make.
I hope he decides for the best thing for his family. He's seen the worst in Detroit and has a Super Bowl ring, so along with 74 career sacks he hasn't much left to prove.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum