Rawls

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Rawls

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:56 am

One thing that doesn't get a lot of discussion regarding the Seahawks is the Thomas Rawls disappearing act.

What happened to this guy? Obviously, the injuries have not helped. But he doesn't look the same, mentally. He looks tentative. He is like an afterthought.

He really broke out in 2015.

Is there any chance we can see him get back to something productive? He flashed in the playoff game vs Detroit.. this season, he's just nothing.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: Rawls

Postby burrrton » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 am

Agreed. I've been working under the assumption he's just recovering from injury, but at some point "recovering" should become "recovered" and we should start seeing the old Rawls.

If not, write him off as a flash in the pan, I guess, which, along with Procise being apparently made of glass, would be disappointing.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:06 am

Is this his contract year? He may be trying to make it through the entire season without injury.

He flashed I believe because everyone was set for Beast who wasn't the fastest guy to the hole the last couple years here. He still got his yards because of the stability and power he ran with. Rawls came in and was lightening to the hole. Seems they have keyed on that. For Rawls to be effective, he has to be in and out of the hole in a split second and can't dance like you mentioned above. If he's going to dance, his NFL career is done already. We will use Lacy as slow and powerful to the hole, and McKissic as lightening to the hole. Procise and Rawls can be a backup in case one of them get hurt.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Rawls has never completely recovered from the ankle IMO and just seems to have lost a 10th getting to the hole. Beyond that he isn't being patient and following what blocks he gets. He's not showing vision but just running into tackles. Cable said as much in remarks a week or so ago.
To be fair Rawls had some excellent games last year including the gems vs. Carolina and Rams in Seattle as well as a playoff record vs. Detroit.
The Rawls from 2015 was the best back in the league for a couple of months though.

I don't think he's a microwave guy who can be in for 5 snaps or whatever and expect much. Prosise and McKissick definitely. I think they need to pick a game and just give the kid the rock 25 times and see if he still has it or not. Something tells me this RB by committee isn't going to be very effective long term.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:37 pm

Great post HT, I couldn't agree more.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:40 pm

It's been a troublesome position all year, further complicated by Carson going down.

Bottom line is, we cant' really trust Any of these guys moving forward. McKissic is another interesting prospect, but we'll still need to bring legit #1 competition next spring, preferably through the draft.

For an offense like ours, a good run game is essential. I wouldn't mind spending a relatively high choice next year on a RB, particularly if the guy has tangible talent to Zeke or Fournette. Can't really replace a Beast, but we need somebody to step up and take control as a #1 runner.

Meanwhile, I'll handcuff Rawls to RW for fantasy in NY on Sunday:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:36 am

Zorn76 wrote:It's been a troublesome position all year, further complicated by Carson going down.

Bottom line is, we cant' really trust Any of these guys moving forward. McKissic is another interesting prospect, but we'll still need to bring legit #1 competition next spring, preferably through the draft.

For an offense like ours, a good run game is essential. I wouldn't mind spending a relatively high choice next year on a RB, particularly if the guy has tangible talent to Zeke or Fournette. Can't really replace a Beast, but we need somebody to step up and take control as a #1 runner.

Meanwhile, I'll handcuff Rawls to RW for fantasy in NY on Sunday:)

Eddie Lacy is a legit #1, and he hasn't blossomed in this offense, either.

I don't think it's necessary that we spend a top draft pick or make a blockbuster trade in order to acquire a serviceable running back. As the acquisitions of Rawls and Carson proves, there are some very good running backs that can be had for lower round draft picks, and we seem to be pretty good at finding good talent at that position. We've just been snake bit by injuries.

Besides, we can't afford to be spending valuable resources on two down players.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 am

It's interesting that Alex Collins couldn't make it here, but behind the Ravens OL, he's doing pretty well.
Just maybe there is no place to run for any of the RB's and we know Lacy needs to get a head of steam to be productive. Rawls not so much but I think teams expect him to carry the ball when he's in.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 am

NorthHawk wrote:It's interesting that Alex Collins couldn't make it here, but behind the Ravens OL, he's doing pretty well.
Just maybe there is no place to run for any of the RB's and we know Lacy needs to get a head of steam to be productive. Rawls not so much but I think teams expect him to carry the ball when he's in.

Yes...Collins has 52 carries for 335 yards, a 6.4 average. He has been impressive.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:22 am

Another factor is that nobody is getting an opportunity to carry the ball very much. Lacy getting 5 carries does not ever give him an opportunity to get going. Same with Rawls. The running back by committee model seems to hurt their chances of ever establishing any kind of consistency. Hell, even Beast in his prime could have looked bad if only given 4-8 tries. Sometimes you get -1.5, others you get 2, 4 or 12; one simply doesn't get 4.5 yards every time, it is an average over time and if you cant get touches, you cant get your mojo working.

The o-line, strange play-calling, and not just picking a horse and sticking with him all play a role.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:15 pm

I really question Lacy's motivation at this point. He hasn't been good for a few yrs now, and his biggest applause thus far has been for achieving weight goals.

Procise I for get is even on the team.

And with Carson out, that leaves Rawls and McKissic. I dunno what to believe with Rawls. I keep hearing from Pete he's ready to go, then he ends up with just a handful of carries. The total Non threat of a running game already impedes a questionable offense.

I'd split it between TR and McK. They each have bigger upside than Eddie, and I think he's gone at the end of the season anyhow.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Rawls is toast. He hasn't done doodly squat in 2 years. Injuries, sminjuries, get going or get the hell OUT. I say give Davis a chance from the practice squad.
Largent80
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum