Politics, Social Media and Marriage.

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Politics, Social Media and Marriage.

Postby Seahawkgal » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:22 am

I didn't really know where to go to vent but it is an awful day for me. Today SHOULD be a great day but it isn't.
It is my 9th year anniversary.
This started last evening at bedtime. I leaned over to give my husband a kiss good night. He did a quick, hesitant peck and stated how mad he was about some social media comments(facebook) I made. I am 100% sure it was a comment I made on the Seattle Seahawks FB page responding to the people that are banning the team/NFL because of the 'few' who are kneeling or sitting. I said that it was NOT anti-military but more about law enforcement, etc. I also might have called some Trolls, etc. s***, all I really want is to discuss the team and the game. It gets tiring to read all the time.
Anyways, he continued to say that "you know you are married to a vet, right?" and also that I was fucked in the head to support the protesters. I was in complete SHOCK at his statements to where all I could say was "Wow!, I guess I have no right to have an opinion". For starters, I am not happy about the whole anthem protest issue because I feel it is dividing the country, etc.....
Anyways, when this whole thing started this year, my husband DID say it was their right but it was also his not to watch the NFL. He even said that if I watched games when he wasn't around he was OK with it. So, this has me very confused.
I am also very depressed today. I am thinking about deactivating my FB page. For the time being I changed my settings so he cannot see anything I share, like or comment on unless he is tagged by me. I can't believe I did that. Shocked that it came to that. I never thought that the man I love who has been a beacon of support for me, would resort to this s***. I never felt like I couldn't speak my mind or have an opinion. I slept maybe 3 hours last night. My tears won't stop.
Some anniversary.
I went into the DISH account setting online and cancelled the "News" package. This will get rid of FOX News, MSNBC, etc. Unfortunately the only one it won't get rid of is CNN. I hate them all to be quite honest. It will save us 10$ a month. That's my take when he asks.
My husband is very conservative and to me he's been kinda obsessed with it-ESPECIALLY FOX News....
I really cannot believe that he would think I don't love my country or respect vets. I am actually quite the opposite.
This hurts my soul because I love him. He is my soul mate.
Sorry for my rant, I just had nowhere to vent.
Seahawkgal
Legacy

Re: Politics, Social Media and Marriage.

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:31 am

I'd slip him a copy of this message with note that there are things in life more important than politics.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:34 pm

This political lunacy isn't worth messing up a marriage.

The kneeling millionaire asshats that don't vote and protect other NFL players acting like asses isn't fun to watch, but it isn't worth spending too much time worrying about. Just ignore them. He should do the same.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:39 pm

What C_bob said.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:20 am

Sounds like you are just now getting to know who your husband really is. He is a BULLY and now he has bullied you into "knukling under" his thumb. I am willing to bet it is either "his way or the highway" on most subjects. How often do you have to walk on eggs in fear of pizzing him off??

Being a VET doesn't give ANYONE the right to deny you or anybody else their constitutional rights OR their human rights I bet he said "right on!" when FORMER general John Kelly LIED his ASS off in defense of Trump's LIES.

The lies just keep coming and coming from this administration, those who a silent ARE COMPLICET.

Back to NFL players taking a "knee". Do you not know ANY people of color??? Nobody??? A DECENT person doesn't have to be a person of color or even have relatives who are to understand that in SOME cases police officers have essentially MURDERED so-called suspects. Now, Mike Brown in St. Louis IMHO was a justifiable shooting by office Darren Wilson, but there have been many many cases where the police WERE totally in the wrong.

It is SO EZ for people who (mistakenly) believe that since these abuses by a few police officers don't seem to affect themselves or anybody they really know that black people should just "get over it". I say, GET OVER YOURSELF! The ONLY way a society is EVER going to change for the better is to demonstrate to those of you that just wish the "unpleasantness" of these players taking a knee would jnust "go away".

Until those of you who want to pretend that the abuses are not happening and let authorities that they will keep shining a light on to it until all admit that they too can see that there IS a problem.

This nation is supposed to stand for certain ideals and those ideals are represented by our flag and national anthem so when it seems that millions of Americans either don't know, or don't understand or worse yet refuse to understand that there really is a few police officers that are abusing the powers that they have been granted and worse of all the PD higher ups only seem to be interested in covering up these abuses rather than drumming these bad cops off the force.

But, what does that say to all of those either sitting at home or in the stands who quite honestly don't really give a dam how many people of color get killed or even if they are also women and children in some cases.

LIKE I SAID, TO BE SILENT IS TO BE COMPLICET!!!!

You know what? One thing I HATE more than anything else and that is hypocrisy, I especially hate it when I find it within myself, but, I AM trying.
What I find as SICK is the fact that some wear their hypocrisy like a "badge" of honor.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:56 am

What Cbob and ASF said.

Facebook is a wonderful venue to keep track of friends and relatives, but IMO it's not a good place for political discussions unless it's within a controlled group. All you have to rely on is text. Missing are the tone of voice and facial queues that convey emotion. Personally, I've tired of the political stuff and won't respond to others even though I might agree with them. Although I have some pretty strong opinions on the anthem protests, I have not expressed them on Facebook. I'll express them here because this isn't a large audience...a controlled group...and I know the other posters here quite well.

Hopefully things work out for you and your hubby. I'm no Dear Abby, but be thankful that he let you know that something is bothering him as some of us keep things like that buried. Sounds like the two of you need a good talk over a morning cup of coffee.

Good Luck!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:26 am

Wow Andrea, I'm very sorry and frankly shocked after reading that.

Maybe Marty has some issues going on that he isn't sharing. I know that I HAD to quit Facebook over a year ago and my life has been way better without it. I nuked my page. Lost a lot of old contacts that I had made on there plus my bands page etc. But it has been SO worth it. I miss it not.

Secondly, you and I are longtime friends and I will always have an open ear for you, so feel free to call me, and if you don't have or lost my number send me a private message here.

Rob
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:58 am

I wrote a long reply last night and thought it better not to weigh in. After reading some of these posts, all I will say is:

Its not worth risking your marriage over.

Try to find an activity you did when you first met and rekindle the loving thoughts and bury these more recent thoughts between you.

I fear that canceling the news channels will be viewed as a backlash against his positions than an act to get rid of what is dividing you. Hope I'm wrong.

Best of luck gal.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Seahawkgal » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks for piping in(most of you anyways). We did have a nice long talk last evening and came to some mature understandings. He did apologize for the words he used. He was truly sorry for it. I won't get into the details of our discussion because it is a bit political but we both agreed about the social media thing so we are both taking a hiatus on that.
I went back to DISH and reversed the change on the news package. I am glad I did that.
Rob, I still have your number so I will call you soon(Marty is still a good guy).

Thank you all for allowing me to vent and......GOHAWKS!!!
Seahawkgal
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Seahawkgal wrote:Thanks for piping in(most of you anyways). We did have a nice long talk last evening and came to some mature understandings. He did apologize for the words he used. He was truly sorry for it. I won't get into the details of our discussion because it is a bit political but we both agreed about the social media thing so we are both taking a hiatus on that.
I went back to DISH and reversed the change on the news package. I am glad I did that.
Rob, I still have your number so I will call you soon(Marty is still a good guy).

Thank you all for allowing me to vent and......GOHAWKS!!!

Glad to hear that things are on the mend. We're all family in here!
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic