Future Seahawks Secondary

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Future Seahawks Secondary

Postby Largent80 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:57 am

We are more than likely past the original L.O.B. Who knows if Kam will ever play again, and even Sherm for that matter.

Going forward, we have a nice group of youngsters that could be the next L.O.B.

Thorpe (year 5) has made several nice plays in a limited role the past few weeks besides being a special teams demon.
Coleman is handling the slot quite well.
McDougald is a really nice pickup by J.S. (year 5)
Griffin is outstanding as a rookie.
Delano Hill and Tedric Thompson are kinda unknown and both are rookies.

Plus Shead will be back soon and we have Earl. 2 weeks ago one would have thought the season was over but we actually are decently prepared for a changing of the guard
Last edited by Largent80 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Future L.O.B.

Postby Oly » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:11 am

After many, many years of seeing promising young players stall (*ahemRawlsahem*), I generally try to stay my excitement. That said Quill, especially, looks like a keeper.

Even so, I want to keep the "LoB" moniker for the ETIII--Kam--Sherm core. Those guys were legendary together.
Oly
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 am

I think Sherm, Kam, et al would disagree that the moniker should be reserved for them- it's always been about the unit itself, right?

I think we're maybe OK to keep using it until the performance drops off so much that it's an insult to apply the name?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 am

Right now the L.O.B. is Wagner, Wright and Wilhoite. Those guys are bringin the boom.

I am just trying to point out that the secondary has a bright future, not trying to infringe on some sort of unwritten copyrite.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 am

burrrton wrote:I think Sherm, Kam, et al would disagree that the moniker should be reserved for them- it's always been about the unit itself, right?

I think we're maybe OK to keep using it until the performance drops off so much that it's an insult to apply the name?

Fair enough, although I think the new group needs to keep up the performance and show the level of physicality that put the "boom" in the LoB.
Oly
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:12 am

Largent80 wrote:I am just trying to point out that the secondary has a bright future, not trying to infringe on some sort of unwritten copyrite.

I knew you weren't, and I agree.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:12 am

The Fearsome Foursome will always be Merlin Olson, Rosie Greer, Lamar Lundy and Deacon Jones, no matter how much they tried to keep it going as members fell out... oh it still worked in real time with one or two replacements as long as they were stars in there own right (like Jack Youngblood) but but history will always see the Fearsome Foursome as those original four.

The same will be true of the Legion of Boom.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:30 am

I kind of agree. Even though Burrrton has a point, the LOB w/o Sherm and Kam just ain't right. Same with The Steal Curtain (yes, I know it is spelled steel), the Purple People Eaters, the Monsters of the Midway, the Fearsome Foursome, etc.... IMHO

That said, I do like Shaq's play as a rookie, I have been impressed with Coleman, McDougald, & Thorpe. J. Lane just doesn't strike me as an outside guy and neither does Shed w/o Sherm and Kam. I'd like to see another outside guy. Who do you think gets the start once Griffin comes back: Maxi or J. Lane?
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 am

The same will be true of the Legion of Boom.

Can't disagree.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:06 pm

I don’t care what they call it as long as it’s effective. Honestly I’m a little conflicted. Where do nicknames go to die?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:37 pm

The Legion of Boom to me is Kam, Earl, Sherm, and Browner. All of them were beasts in their own way. Wish Browner had lasted longer, but some of his highlights are awe-inspiring as in I've never seen another player do something like that. Blocking three people by himself on special teams during a punt return and single-handledly shutting down the read option against Cam Newton and Jonathan Stewart, both over 230 lbs., was a mind boggling show of his physicality I will never forget.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Browner was awesome if he ever got beat he just grabbed the guy and we took the penalty. Hard to get a score off him
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:06 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:The Legion of Boom to me is Kam, Earl, Sherm, and Browner. All of them were beasts in their own way. Wish Browner had lasted longer, but some of his highlights are awe-inspiring as in I've never seen another player do something like that. Blocking three people by himself on special teams during a punt return and single-handledly shutting down the read option against Cam Newton and Jonathan Stewart, both over 230 lbs., was a mind boggling show of his physicality I will never forget.

I truly liked Browner but by the time he was let go, many teams would go deep on him hoping for holding, PI or a completion with the completion as the third option. He was absolutly fercious in his run defense though. And God help you if you came on a crossing route into his path....
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I kind of agree. Even though Burrrton has a point, the LOB w/o Sherm and Kam just ain't right. Same with The Steal Curtain (yes, I know it is spelled steel), the Purple People Eaters, the Monsters of the Midway, the Fearsome Foursome, etc.... IMHO

That said, I do like Shaq's play as a rookie, I have been impressed with Coleman, McDougald, & Thorpe. J. Lane just doesn't strike me as an outside guy and neither does Shed w/o Sherm and Kam. I'd like to see another outside guy. Who do you think gets the start once Griffin comes back: Maxi or J. Lane?

Well said.

It's kinda hard to believe, but we're really in the process of seeing Significant change coming up her shortly defensively. The "LOB" is pretty much done. Even if Kam, Earl & Sherm to an encore next season, the time is Now to start really focusing on replacements. I really like Griffin, and he illustrates perfectly what I've talked about in terms of a player Clearly showing his talent as a rookie. Conversely, we see very early on when an OL likely won't have much of a future, because they demonstrate next to nothing in terms of upside (i.e. Infedi).

Next spring I hope we find another CB opposite Griff, along with a RB that can come in here and take the reigns to compete to be the franchise guy. Our running game is scaring Nobody right now, and it takes an already challenged offense and makes it that much more difficult. This is also the area where we'll get killed in the playoffs, should we get in, which is no certainty at the moment.

Regardless, the time is now to start rebuilding defensively. We might as well keep a team strength going, or at least try to, because the offensive side of the ball may never be completely figured out by our offensive coaching.
Zorn76
Legacy

Re: Future Seahawks Secondary

Postby Largent80 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:50 am

I changed the thread name since so many people went off topic.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:41 am

I don't think anyone wen't off topic. The topic was the always the future of the secondary, some of us just disagreed that it would still legitimately be the LOB.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:58 am

I see more posts about what the LOB is or was than what the future holds, and that's why I changed the topic heading. The thread is to discuss the future, not the past.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:32 am

Change is inevitable and as we see, it happens quicker than we expect.
I trust our Front Office to be able to find players that can play well in the system on Defense as they've shown it time and again, but we will never again have the Legion of Boom as it was when everyone was young and proving themselves.
We're just going to have to settle for a very good Defense instead of a great Defense unless they find some more gems in the later rounds of the draft that exceed expectations.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum