Stray Thoughts

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Stray Thoughts

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Russell Wilson is the NFL Most Valuable Player. He will likely not win it because of the Brady and Wentz love, but if anyone has paid attention to how important he is to this offense - it is open and shut. Even that Wilson hating buffoon Pete Prisco is onboard now.

Speaking of Wilson…I hope you take a moment from time to time and appreciate the joy it is to have him as our QB. He can be frustrating at times, but we are spoiled to have him.

We finally looked ready to play in the first-half! Amazing. It always feels like we sleep walk through the first few quarters.

Bobby Wagner is the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Calais Campbell will get a lot of attention (rightfully so), but Bobby has been integral – especially after losing Avril, Sherman, and Chancellor. This is Bobby’s defense now.

For as much grief as we levied at the O Line (rightfully so), they are now a middle of the pack unit. They still don’t run block well and allow some pressures, but they are way ahead of where they were towards the beginning of the season. Duane Brown has stabilized that unit a great deal. Brown-Joeckel-Britt-Pocic-Ifedi is not a bad set-up. Ifedi is actually improving as well. We may not need to go super crazy at this position in the off-season..we probably just need depth.

Chris Carson is supposedly coming back in a few weeks. Paired with Mike Davis, that is a pretty good 1-2 punch. We started the season thinking it would be Lacy and Rawls, which is crazy to think about. What Carson and Davis do better than Lacy and Rawls is square up to the hole and hit the gaps. I still think they use a first-round pick on a young stud in the next draft.

J.D. McKissic has rendered C.J. Prosise irrelevant. They either need to convert Prosise back to a WR or just move on. We don’t need him, especially when he is constantly hurt. He is talented, but he doesn’t have the frame to be a RB.

Speaking of the backs…how come they have not brought Marcel Reece back in? The lack of a FB thing is weird.

Kris Richard finally showed a wrinkle! That CB blitz by Coleman was nice. Richard needs to keep being aggressive.

Love having Maxwell back. He fits our system well.

We must be the record holder for fumbles caused at the 1-yard line and in…that’s at least four I can remember in the recent past (two against the Rams, one against the Lions, now the Eagles). Earl is a heat-seeking missile in those situations.

Lockett is clearly 75-80%, at best. He doesn’t have his burst or his short-area acceleration. But, he is a gamer…and nice to see him finally get a TD catch. That’s only his 2nd TD catch in his last 27 games. Looking forward to getting him back at full speed next season.

Jimmy Graham, Paul Richardson, and Sheldon Richardson are three huge decisions looming (amongst others). There’s no way we can afford all three. Two might be a stretch… Graham has become the red zone threat he was in New Orleans (9 TDs with 4 games left to play). It would be a shame to let him go after we finally figured out how to use him effectively. It is going to be a tough off-season at VMAC.

Shaq Griffin is going to be a really good player. He has had some tough match-ups this season but has stood his ground. There have been some bumps, but we have asked a lot of him as a rookie. He is only going to get better.

One area I would like to see improved in the off-season is OLB. Wilhoite and Garvin don’t offer much there.

Happy that Walsh hit that 46-yarder, with authority. He needed that. Still a liability, but we need his confidence to increase not get worse.

Really happy to see the blue end zones back! The field looks much better with them painted blue. We seem to play better when they are, but maybe that’s false memory.

REALLY REALLY REALLY happy we didn’t lose our third straight home game. That loss to Washington is a kick to the balls…that was awful. We could be 9-3 and very much in the fight for one of the top two seeds in the playoffs. We still have a chance, but we have to get to 12-4 (IMO) which means winning out.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: Stray Thoughts

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Good observations, Greg. I concur with all of it. It is really tough not to play the what if game in my mind with our losses. We really could have won each of our losses with just a little more of something in each game, including that first game of the season stinker against the Packers. But it is what it is. I don't know where we end up this year, but I was sure proud last night.

J.D. McKissic has rendered C.J. Prosise irrelevant. They either need to convert Prosise back to a WR or just move on. We don’t need him, especially when he is constantly hurt. He is talented, but he doesn’t have the frame to be a RB.

Unfortunately for Prosise and the Hawks, I just don't see how we continue to invest a spot on the 53 for him. His upside potential is sky high, but so is his propensity for injury. He cannot seem to make it 2 - 3 plays without another injury. His play in the Eagles and Patriots games last year is what this team has been missing (ok, one of the things) and I was really hoping he could stay healthy. All of that said, there is a lot to like in JD.

Speaking of the backs…how come they have not brought Marcel Reece back in? The lack of a FB thing is weird.
I have had this thought repeatedly. Last year we had either Tukuafu or Marcel back there and this year, I just don't get it.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Great observations Gregg.
I had no idea what to expect. That's the first signature win since the Patriots about a year ago.Carroll smelled something pre game. Asked if the Eagles were a championship team like Seattle in 2013 he said yes but "they have to finish". He smirked a little when he said it.
I completely agree about washington, what a nauseating loss. You got to give it to Cousins. The two big daggers late he got hit right in the face the second he released both of them.

There's time though. They are 2 games out with 4 left. Lets see what a loss does for Philly going forward confidence wise. We control our destiny with LA. My hope is that Minnesota and NO don't get the one..
Either way as Russ said in his postgame presser "its December time".
GO HAWKS!!!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:51 pm

We're some kicks and some errors from 10-2. I'm glad Earl is in there. With Earl our secondary will always have a chance. Frank Clark is looking great. I think we can let Avril go now that Frank is ready. Clear some money to keep Sheldon or Jimmy. Kam is done too as far as I'm concerned. We can clear money there to keep a good strong safety. We don't need an aging superstar at strong safety. I think Kam and Avril are done with the Seahawks. I think we'll make a push to keep Graham, Sheldon, and P-Rich. Football is a cold sport and those moves will make us better in the long run. Maybe we can recoup some picks if Kam or Avril insist on continuing. We can trade one or both of them.

With Russell we'll always have a chance as long as they can build some kind of unit around him. You have your centerpiece franchise QB and life is good as a football fan. Russell's highlights will live with Seattle fans forever. The best QB of a supposedly great QB class. Luck and RG3 who? Ryan Tannewho? Brock Whatshisname? Brandon Wheed-done? The last two standing are Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins from that storied class and Russ is the vastly better of the two. Russ is now clearly number one over all the others. The test of time always tells the truth. That's why I enjoy sports. Things are decided on the field, not by talking.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I try not to get into the "what if's". My old man's saying that "if your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle" keeps ringing in my mind anytime someone starts getting into hypothetical discussions.

If you go strictly by the definition of MVP, you can make an extremely compelling argument for Russell, but that's not usually how the voting goes. If we miss the playoffs, there's no way he's going to win it, and even if we do, we almost have to take one of the top two seeds. There's another argument that maintains that in order to be most valuable, your team has to have had an outstanding year.

Defensive MVP is a little different, the most notable example being Tez winning it in the 90's when we had a 2-14 team. They don't seem to look at the team's performance nearly as much as they do with the overall MVP.

Based on those two observations, Bobby stands a better chance than Russell. But I don't get too hung up on individual awards. The only award I give two hoots in hell about is the Lombardi.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:15 pm

I think the key to last night was the way Richard had the D play in that we blitzed a lot more and it was clear they were not prepared for that.

Someone said in another thread that the blitzing was what got them their one TD but I think it is what held them to only 1 TD. I don't know how many times Wentz has been sacked but we got to him a few times. We are also getting healthier as a unit and no major injuries came out of a tough game like last night. I like seeing that.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Sox-n-hawks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:52 pm

idhawkman wrote:I think the key to last night was the way Richard had the D play in that we blitzed a lot more and it was clear they were not prepared for that.

Someone said in another thread that the blitzing was what got them their one TD but I think it is what held them to only 1 TD. I don't know how many times Wentz has been sacked but we got to him a few times. We are also getting healthier as a unit and no major injuries came out of a tough game like last night. I like seeing that.

Part of that was knowing Blount has never been able to run against our D. Tons of pass pressure did the trick. Wentz really reminds me of a young Eli Manning.
Sox-n-hawks
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 am

We're nowhere near where we need to be for a legit OL. Not even close.
These guys have 'improved", because there's nowhere to go but up when you suck ass all the time.

Sorry, but thinking Infedi has any real shot at being good is pure b.s. Joekel? lol. Good luck there too.
The problem is people get teased by glimpses of competency, then start to think they might be solid moving forward.
But just like any other position - and I know OL is a 'unit' - each Individual has to show not just a lil improvement, but a lot to be able to invest the time in them.

The reason we have such a high turnover is that we Suck at drafting these guys, and it goes back several years now. Even if we do land a good prospect, you think a guy like Cable can claim he helped bring out the best in the guy? Forget it. Same with our old pal, Darrell. Guy calls Maybe 3 or 4 decent games a year. The Players have made this guy look good, not the other way around, the majority of the time.

As for RW, yes, the guy Should be MVP.
Bobby is worthy of DMVP as well.

We played a Great game last night vs Philly, which was refreshing to see.
But for us to have legit SB chances, we need to win division and get that 1st game at home.

It's all just opinion. I understand I'm in the minority here with what I've posted (re: OL), but I highly doubt this version will be the starting 5 next year.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:27 am

Fact of the Night: Russell Wilson, through the first 12 games has 15 -- 4th qtr touchdowns. That is tied
(with 4 games to go) for the most in the history of the NFL... wild.

Yes, Russell should be M.V.P. if he plays out at least 3-1 this year and wins the division, which would include beating the Rams twice. ( Rams lose to Philly, mark it down) If we don't win the division, he won't win, but I'm sure the fans for Wentz, Breez and what's his name in Minnesota, all feel the same way, too. All are having great years and leading their teams to better records. Then their's that other QB in New England and that Big Ben. Did you see him tonight rip the hearts out of Cincy again? Much as you want to hate on him, he balls! Lots of East Coast Bias options.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 am

Zorn76 wrote:We're nowhere near where we need to be for a legit OL. Not even close.
These guys have 'improved", because there's nowhere to go but up when you suck ass all the time.

Sorry, but thinking Infedi has any real shot at being good is pure b.s. Joekel? lol. Good luck there too.
The problem is people get teased by glimpses of competency, then start to think they might be solid moving forward.
But just like any other position - and I know OL is a 'unit' - each Individual has to show not just a lil improvement, but a lot to be able to invest the time in them.

The reason we have such a high turnover is that we Suck at drafting these guys, and it goes back several years now. Even if we do land a good prospect, you think a guy like Cable can claim he helped bring out the best in the guy? Forget it. Same with our old pal, Darrell. Guy calls Maybe 3 or 4 decent games a year. The Players have made this guy look good, not the other way around, the majority of the time.

As for RW, yes, the guy Should be MVP.
Bobby is worthy of DMVP as well.

We played a Great game last night vs Philly, which was refreshing to see.
But for us to have legit SB chances, we need to win division and get that 1st game at home.

It's all just opinion. I understand I'm in the minority here with what I've posted (re: OL), but I highly doubt this version will be the starting 5 next year.

I disagree about Ifedi. I think he can be a more athletic and better Breno. What we look for is a physically dominating RT and Ifedi fits that bill fully.
He's now played 12 games at RT in the NFL and they were alongside a journeyman Guard in Aboushi, a rookie in Pocic, and a seriously inexperienced and capably limited Glowinski so he's not going to learn as fast as he might have
if he was playing alongside a very consistent and predictable RG like we could have had in Evans. Having a proven pro beside him would flatten the learning curve but as it is, he has to figure it out by himself. Watching Brown prepare
will help, but it's still a big challenge for any player at a new position with uncertainty beside him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum