OT: Knee surgery and retirement

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

OT: Knee surgery and retirement

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 am

Hopefully Yoder and Mak will allow me to let some of my friends here in on some life changing personal plans of mine and let me post an off topic personal notice here in the main forum.

I have been fighting an arthritic left knee for the past several years, and I'm finally getting it taken care of. I am due to go in for a full knee replacement a week from today, on Wednesday the 13th. I just had my final checkup to clear me for surgery yesterday, along with a class about the surgery and the subsequent recovery that the wife and I attended. It will be the first time in my life that I've been admitted to a hospital as I am expected to spend one or two nights there, hopefully getting discharged in time to see TNF from home.

The surgery dove tails quite nicely into my retirement plans as following surgery, I'll go on short term disability for 3 months and stay on payroll, then when I get kicked off disability, take the balance of my vacation and officially retire on what is perhaps the most appropriate date one could imagine: April 1st of 2018, which also coincides with my wife becoming eligible for Medicare. Additionally, the wife had shoulder surgery back in January of this year so our deductibles and out of pocket expenses have already been met, and being that it's in December, there's not a lot for me to do around the house anyway, allowing me to dedicate 100% of my time to rehab.

My financial advisors think that we have a pretty darn good retirement plan. Our house has been paid off for some time and we don't have any outstanding debts, like car or boat payments, and we're empty nesters. I have been very fortunate (or wise) to have accumulated a healthy sum in my 401K as I have been contributing 16% of my paycheck for about 20 years, advice that I can't recommend highly enough for others to follow, plus my employer has been kicking in another 4%. We should be able to realize an income stream of at least 75% of what the two of us made when we were both working...the wife has been on disability for almost 2 years....even without taking my SS and allowing it to grow out. I have a retiree health plan courtesy of my employer that I've been grandfathered into that's pretty expensive pre-65 but is very good supplement once I go on Medicare in a couple of years.

My last day of actual work is this Friday, but I plan to come back in March for one day after I'm off disability. That will mark 40 years and 2 weeks since I started in the business straight out of college in March of 1978. It's been a long ride with more than a few bumps.

Anyhow, thanks again to Yoder and Mak for letting me spill my guts a little bit.

River Dog
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: OT: Knee surgery and retirement

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:23 am

Don't sweat the knee replacement,, you'll be up and around in no time! And congrats on the retirement, sounds like you've got a good plan mapped out for yourself, enjoy it!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 am

Sounds like you've planned well and everything came together cosmically as well. :)

Congratulations on your retirement, my good man.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 am

Good Luck to you.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Sounds like your set. Ensure you're still paying attention and letting your retirement income work for you. Safe, consistent investments in bedrock companies is usually the way to go. Don't let a financial adviser push you in stocks or investments that aren't safe. And keep active. You don't want to become too lethargic. Knee replacements are very good now. My uncle had knee replacements, he's doing much better than shooting steroids or medicines for knee pain and arthritis.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Congratulations to you, my friend. It sounds like you have a good game plan...but I say you go out and buy a boat or two. I will be in touch before your surgery and you make sure to enjoy these last few days. It is such a great thing to go out on one's own terms. Good for you!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

RD,

I've known several people who have done full knee replacement (including one or two in their '80's), and it's the best thing that happened to them in a long time. Not only is the physical pain gone (of course there's recovery/initial rehab after surgery), but mentally there was a measurable difference, with a noticeable boost in their spirit. I know the pain/circumstances vary, but I see (and hope) nothing but good things for you moving forward.

Congrats on your dedication and perseverance throughout your work life. 40 yrs....wow, you've Earned this!

I haven't met anyone here in person, but for what it's worth, I do care. I think there's good people in this forum. I've re-read some of my recent posts, and without going into detail (or hijacking thread), I want to openly apologize to Sis, IG, or anyone else who felt under attack with some of the things I've said. I pride myself on being good person, even online (perhaps especially online), and I allowed a poor attitude to get the best of me.

I hope all goes as smoothly as possible for you and your wife moving forward.

Go Hawks!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm

River,

Great to hear about your retirement. Not sure yet about your knee though.

My dad has had both knees and shoulders replaced. He's 84 yrs old now and he's been snowbirding down to Yuma AZ for about 34 years. He knows a lot of people who have had the surgery. Since mom passed in '05, he's met a new lady and has been with her for about 9 years now. She had both knees done as well as her brother in law. From what they've all told me, it really depends on the surgery. Some had one good surgery and the second was bad (still a lot of pain). What they all said is that since they are so close to Mexico, they recommend getting stem cell shots in the knee before going with the surgery. Its a three shot series at about $200 a piece down there but well worth it in their opinion.

You are probably too far along the path to getting this surgery and you definitely don't have the time to try Stem cell shots before the new year and your deductible goes back up, but keep it in mind for the next time. They all swear by it down there (and there's a lot of them down there).

Good luck in all your future adventures Riv. Nothing but the best wishes going out to you in your retirement.

Zorn, I've met a few of the posters here in person. River, OBS and IG are the ones that stick out most in my mind since we all met up for a game at the corner bar so many years ago. We should do another "group game" in the near future. I think back on that game often and what sticks out more than anything else is the group that met at the bar before the game.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 pm

It will be the first time in my life that I've been admitted to a hospital

Damn, you're sure one lucky man, RD! I thought I was on the lite side at 4... Broken Arm in 4th grade, Broken Leg skiing Snoqualmie Pass at 12, Hemorrhoids and an eye surgery. We should all be so lucky.
Have a successful surgery and a fast recovery. The retirement side.. I'm right behind you in about 3 years.
May we all live long and prosper.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Congrats RDog on retirement! Wishing you well on the surgery as well.

Definitely one of my favourite posters in here. I'll be keeping tabs here in the forum on ya.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Don't sweat the knee replacement,, you'll be up and around in no time! And congrats on the retirement, sounds like you've got a good plan mapped out for yourself, enjoy it!

Wow River I am so sorry for the pain, but I can tell you retirement for me has been vastly underrated!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 am

Riv, good luck with the surgery, but it sounds like you have planned it out perfectly!! You will be back on your feet by the time you normally would have retired anyway. Enjoy your retirement, you've earned it.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

Idahawk, I really appreciate your suggestion. I did my homework when selecting a surgeon, and chose the best one I could find, a 63 year old doctor that's had 30 years experience, did his residency at the Mayo Clinic, and has seen all sorts of alternate methods and he feels that this is my best option. As a rule, one would figure that surgeons will always recommend surgery as that's what they do, but this guy doesn't need my business, and I've come to trust him. Just about everyone I talked to, doctors and patients alike, have told me that the key to a successful surgery is the rehab, so I intend to hit physical therapy in full Beast mode.

Likewise, ASF, I appreciate your advice regarding retirement planning. Although most of my funds are with one firm, I have accounts with 3 different financial advisors working for 3 different companies so I should get a pretty diversified opinion. If I have any advice to my younger friends, it's don't depend on Social Security and Medicare to be there for you when you retire. Start saving now, at least 15% of your paycheck, to a 401K or IRA. I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, but not saving for retirement wasn't one of them.

Cbob, everyone tells me that knee surgery is a piece of cake, but I'm still sweating it. I went to the hospital for my pre-surgery exam last Tuesday and my blood pressure was 30-40 points higher than what it normally runs. I'm extremely nervous about this, which is one of the reasons why I started the thread as I wanted to vent some of my anxiety to my friends.

And thanks for the complement, 86! I'll definitely keep you folks advised.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:51 am

River,

I'll be sending you all the best wishes for this surgery for you and your retirement.

My dad says that when you retire, you have to have Non-retired visitors sign a piece of paper stating that they will not divulge what retired people do with their time. I think he used that as a license to do the things he wouldn't let me do when I was a teenager. :o
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm

idhawkman wrote:River,

I'll be sending you all the best wishes for this surgery for you and your retirement.

My dad says that when you retire, you have to have Non-retired visitors sign a piece of paper stating that they will not divulge what retired people do with their time. I think he used that as a license to do the things he wouldn't let me do when I was a teenager. :o

Thanks, IDHawk.

Man, you ought to see the big hunk of metal they're going to be putting in my knee. No more free passes through a metal detector.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 am

I hope your last day was a good one, River. Congrats again.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:41 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I hope your last day was a good one, River. Congrats again.

Actually the knee hurt like hell, and I was really busy trying to get around to everyone for fear of someone feeling insulted if I didn't say goodbye, and we have a pretty big campus so I was on my feet a lot that last day. They've taken me off the anti inflammatory meds last Wednesday in preperation for the surgery and I realy felt it on Friday and yesterday. I couldn't bend the knee enough to put on a sock this morning.

Thanks for the well wishes and congrats, sis. Your friendship means a lot to me.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:57 pm

I've had the surgery and am still recovering from the anesthesia. I've been up once, obviously very sore. Please keep the posts coming. I enjoy the banter!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:19 pm

I heard that Wentz also had his knee surgery today to fix his ACL. You two might be able to commiserate with each other. (Got his twitter or fb?) :o

I think the Iggles are going down now. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't know how much of a threat GB will be now that AR is back from his shoulder... They are one game behind us and they hold the tie breaker...

So is this good enough banter for the injury front?
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Hey RD! You’ve been on my mind today. Glad you woke up. ;)
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:05 pm

I’m with ID, I say you head to Wentz’s house and see if you guys can recover together
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:06 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Hey RD! You’ve been on my mind today. Glad you woke up. ;)

Thanks, Sis! Yor're awesome!

As Cbob said, the surgery turned out to be a piece of cake. Nevertheless, I was extremely apprehensive about the ordeal. When I woke up, I was in a really good mood, perhaps due to the drugs, but more than likely the weight of all that anticipation beingmykc removed.

Idhawk and mykc, I got a chuckle out of your remarks. I feel badly for Wentz, similar to the situation to Deshown Watson. I never like seeing injuries, but they are especially depressive when they happen to young guys that were having phenomenal seasons.

Hopefully I can get out of the hospital this afternoon. I'll have to perform some stupid human tricks to prove to them that I can move around on my own.

Thanks again to everyone for your support.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:09 am

RiverDog wrote:As Cbob said, the surgery turned out to be a piece of cake. Nevertheless, I was extremely apprehensive about the ordeal. When I woke up, I was in a really good mood, perhaps due to the drugs, but more than likely the weight of all that anticipation beingmykc removed.

Idhawk and mykc, I got a chuckle out of your remarks. I feel badly for Wentz, similar to the situation to Deshown Watson. I never like seeing injuries, but they are especially depressive when they happen to young guys that were having phenomenal seasons.

Hopefully I can get out of the hospital this afternoon. I'll have to perform some stupid human tricks to prove to them that I can move around on my own.

Thanks again to everyone for your support.

Glad things went ell man. Replacement is far preferable to microfracture surgery (as I found out rehabbing my microfx).
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't know what Microfracture is but it doesn't sound good. If I remember correctly, we had a great NT or DT in the 2005 season that had something like that happen to him and it ended his career - too bad too. I think you mentioned you had that surgery at the time Cbob and knew he was done from that point on.

Good to see you in good spirits Riv. Keep up the positive attitude and you'll be out bustin' broncs before you know it...
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:59 pm

idhawkman wrote:I don't know what Microfracture is but it doesn't sound good. If I remember correctly, we had a great NT or DT in the 2005 season that had something like that happen to him and it ended his career - too bad too. I think you mentioned you had that surgery at the time Cbob and knew he was done from that point on.

Good to see you in good spirits Riv. Keep up the positive attitude and you'll be out bustin' broncs before you know it...

Marcus Tubbs?

Cbob, did you make that comment because you've underwent microfracture surgery?

Thanks to yoder and Mak for letting me post an OT topic in the main forum. Not everyone dips their toes into the OT forum, so I wanted to advise all of my friends. We had some nice PM exchanges, too.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Yes we lost Marcus Tubbs to microfx surgery but I'm shocked that people don't remember it's what also ended Walter Jones' career.

And yes I had the same surgery in 2006. I'd had meniscus, patellar tendon and MCL surgery in 2000 on the same knee and it never really seemed to heal properly, I had to walk around with a cane for six years and then when my knee swole up like a balloon without incident the same surgeon told me (without taking pictures) that it would just be another meniscus scope and I awoke to having had microfracture surgery and facing a year rehab ... said he found grade 4 fractured medial condyle, something that don't happen without incident, I think he missed the damaged condyle 6 years earlier and I just wore it out till it just went to pieces.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:10 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Yes we lost Marcus Tubbs to microfx surgery but I'm shocked that people don't remember it's what also ended Walter Jones' career.

And yes I had the same surgery in 2006. I'd had meniscus, patellar tendon and MCL surgery in 2000 on the same knee and it never really seemed to heal properly, I had to walk around with a cane for six years and then when my knee swole up like a balloon without incident the same surgeon told me (without taking pictures) that it would just be another meniscus scope and I awoke to having had microfracture surgery and facing a year rehab ... said he found grade 4 fractured medial condyle, something that don't happen without incident, I think he missed the damaged condyle 6 years earlier and I just wore it out till it just went to pieces.

I knew that Walt's career ended via a knee injury, but I didn't recall specifically what type of injury. But the reason I didn't mention him had more to do with the date associated with IDHawk's question, not the specific knee injury.

We also had a DT we drafted fairly recently. I can't recall the name, Jesse something from Alabama. He would have been a helluva player had he been able to stay healthy.

Man, your situation sounds absouletly horrible! I'm pretty sure that I won't have to deal with an issue anywhere similar to what you experienced, or at least I certainly hope not.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:43 am

Rd I hope you’re doing well. Congrats on your life achievement.i envy your planning .
Did you say it’s the first time you were hospitalized? I was hospitalized 4 times last year alone!
Don’t forget to smell the roses man. Life is short, make it count .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am

Hawktawk wrote:Rd I hope you’re doing well. Congrats on your life achievement.i envy your planning .
Did you say it’s the first time you were hospitalized? I was hospitalized 4 times last year alone!
Don’t forget to smell the roses man. Life is short, make it count .

Yep, it was my first ever hospitalization. When I was in college, I was kept in the campus clinic for a couple of days when I got pretty bad case of influenza, but that place only had one or two doctors on duty.

The surgeon seemed very pleased with the results. He told me that he was able to mount all of the hardware on solid bone. The only real difficulty I had was after a pretty good workout on my walker about 8 hours following the surgery. The extended workout was at my request, and when I got back to my room and sat down, I got very nauseous and threw up. They had warned me about this in advance, said it was a reaction to the anesthesia, but I felt better immediately afterwards.

The hospital, Kadlec in Richland, treated me like royalty, way better than I deserve. They also put on two complimentary classes, one before the surgery and one after, that my wife could attend with me so they could give us the best possible chance of a successful outcome. Overall, I had a very good experience throughout the entire ordeal.

I got home yesterday afternoon. I'm spending all my time, including sleeping, eating, and use of the toilet, in my man cave. I have 3 nice powered leather recliners that contains my overhead projection TV and a 1/2 bathroom. All other areas of the house require navigating stairs. My wife is a retired nurse with 40 years experience, so I'm in good hands. I had a good friend, who actually was invited to a Seahawks rookie camp, an OT that played in college with Bobby Wagner, that met us at the hospital and came home with me just in case. My 115 lb, 63 year old wife might have had a problem should I have slipped or tripped. Turns out I didn't need any assistance, but it was a good excuse to spend a couple of hours shooting the chit.

Thanks a lot for the well wishes. I know our debates can get pretty heated at times, but at the end of the day, you folks are my best online companions.

RD
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:21 am

Riv
I remember sharing our retirement plans when we met up last season in Vegas. It's good to see you on track, & I can't remember if we talked about your knee or not, but I had mine done in '07. It was such a relief to be pain free. I've had season passes at our ski hill here for years, & although I don't hit the bumps as aggressively as I used to, I have no problems strapping them on & cruising down the slopes. One thing I did was to rehab very aggressively. It was painful but very glad I did it. The harder you flex your knee, the more motion you regain post op. My physical therapist was a sadist, & I'm glad he was. Good luck. I'm retiring in 4 more years with 2 pensions, & a chunk in savings. I plan on splitting time in Southern Utah, (where I have a cabin in the mountains), Okanagan valley B.C. Canada (where my wife's family lives), & Thailand, (where I grew up).
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:57 pm

It’s cool RD. I always know where you will be coming from. The guys and gals on this forum are the best friends I’ve never met (other than prob )even if we call names and disagree.
Every family does. We are the 12 family.
Wish me luck at the game Sunday ! GO HAWKS!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:15 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Yes we lost Marcus Tubbs to microfx surgery but I'm shocked that people don't remember it's what also ended Walter Jones' career.

Wow, I had forgotten it was what ended Jone's career. Memory lane there. Riv and Cbob had it right, it was Tubbs.

I'm sure you are happy they got what was needed done Cbob but to awake to a shock like that would be tough. Good that you are getting around now though.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Hawktawk wrote:It’s cool RD. I always know where you will be coming from. The guys and gals on this forum are the best friends I’ve never met (other than prob )even if we call names and disagree.

I hope you and yours have a wonderful experience that you can look back on for years. I remember taking my Dad to a game a number of years ago when we could tailgate over by the rail line. One of the best trips with my pops that I can remember. Enjoy yourself and take many mental pictures so you can look back on the experience in the future.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Hawktawk wrote:It’s cool RD. I always know where you will be coming from. The guys and gals on this forum are the best friends I’ve never met (other than prob )even if we call names and disagree.

Although there have been multiple times during which I've disagreed with you, particularly over in the OT forum, I still consider you one of my best online buddies. We have a lot more in common than we do differences. I definitely get the sense that you're a good guy.

And you damn right I'll wish you luck at the Hawks game Sunday. GOOD LUCK HAWK TALK! GO HAWKS!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:Riv
I remember sharing our retirement plans when we met up last season in Vegas. It's good to see you on track, & I can't remember if we talked about your knee or not, but I had mine done in '07. It was such a relief to be pain free. I've had season passes at our ski hill here for years, & although I don't hit the bumps as aggressively as I used to, I have no problems strapping them on & cruising down the slopes. One thing I did was to rehab very aggressively. It was painful but very glad I did it. The harder you flex your knee, the more motion you regain post op. My physical therapist was a sadist, & I'm glad he was. Good luck. I'm retiring in 4 more years with 2 pensions, & a chunk in savings. I plan on splitting time in Southern Utah, (where I have a cabin in the mountains), Okanagan valley B.C. Canada (where my wife's family lives), & Thailand, (where I grew up).

Yes, I recall that discussion. We both have a solid retirement plans, yours probably trumping mine because of your multiple homes. My wife, due to various reasons, doesn't care to travel and is very comfortable in our current home here in the Tri Cities so that's where we're staying, at least for the time being. She's very low maintanence, of which I'm very thankful for as I wouldn't be able to retire early if she wasn't.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum