The 3 ways the 'Hawks make it in the playoffs

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The 3 ways the 'Hawks make it in the playoffs

Postby Agent 86 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 am

Scenario #1 - Hawks win both games (@Dallas, Arizona) and the Rams lose both (@Tennessee, San Francisco). Hawks win division on a tiebreaker.

Scenario #2 - Hawks win both games, combined with the Saints(Atlanta,@Tampa Bay), OR Falcons(@New Orleans, Carolina), OR Panthers(Tampa Bay, @Atlanta) losing out, combined with Detroit(@Cincinatti, Green Bay) losing or tying 1 game. Hawks get a wildcard berth on tiebreakers.

Scenario #3 - Hawks win both games, and BOTH the Saints and Panthers lose out. Hawks would get a wildcard berth on tiebreakers.

If the Hawks, Lions, and Falcons all finish 10-6, the Hawks would be eliminated based on tiebreakers.
Agent 86
Legacy

Re: The 3 ways the 'Hawks make it in the playoffs

Postby Largent80 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:07 pm

The Hawks eliminated themselves in two ways. Number one, Blair Walsh number two keeping the same offense.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Pure bonus if we get in - though I could see Atlanta possibly losing out with the scenarios outlined.
Thank you 86 for that.

I dunno - I actually think we're better off missing post season in a way, if it'll help send home a message that we need significant change next year. With the existing roster, even healthy, this isn't much more than a 9 win team moving forward. If get in, fine, we'll see what we do. But the idea that we're gonna go on the road and be warriors in the playoffs, eh, I doubt that very much.

This team has fought hard all year, but we never could get out of our own way.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:33 pm

I know some say that last week wasn't a must win scenario, but since we don't control our own destiny anymore, I think it was. I don't see Detroit losing a game against the Bungles or a Rodgersless GB team so I think the Lions will be the 6th seed.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:42 pm

We're done. This is just a futile analysis of math. Our season is over. It was over when we lost to the Rams. Rams game was a must win regardless of how anyone wanted to see it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:We're done. This is just a futile analysis of math. Our season is over. It was over when we lost to the Rams. Rams game was a must win regardless of how anyone wanted to see it.

I kind of knew that losing to the Skins, Jags and Falcons was a very bad sign for our hopes but I chose to try and ignore them. Oh well, maybe it is time to just hang up my fan cleats - the entertainment value for me has gone down steadily for the past few years. Partly from the enormous amount of penalties called in the game, partly because we don't know why they called the penalty or didn't call a penalty, partly because we don't know what a catch is or is not, what a fumble is or is not, and largely because of the all the social protests. It just isn't fun for me anymore.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Largent80 wrote:The Hawks eliminated themselves in two ways. Number one, Blair Walsh number two keeping the same offense.

Lol... by my count you can place one game on Walsh [Washington] and even that doesn't happen without interceptions thrown in defensive players guts.

Far more prevalent is the refusal to run an NFL offense, relying on explosive plays, and explosive plays only to score points... how about score some tds as an offense, then you don't have to pray your kicker saves your butt.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Largent80 wrote:The Hawks eliminated themselves in two ways. Number one, Blair Walsh number two keeping the same offense.

Our own fans are worse than the national press ... how 'bout let's wait till they're actually eliminated to declare why?

It's not likely to be a long wait, but seriously ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:25 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Our own fans are worse than the national press ... how 'bout let's wait till they're actually eliminated to declare why?

It's not likely to be a long wait, but seriously ...

It's not unusual for a fan base to be more critical of their team than the national press, especially in the week following what was a historic ass kicking.

But of course, you're right. We've all gotten pretty carried away this week.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:It's not unusual for a fan base to be more critical of their team than the national press, especially in the week following what was a historic ass kicking.

But of course, you're right. We've all gotten pretty carried away this week.

I don't see the point of not stating something as a probability exceeding 95%. We're out unless some highly improbably chain of events occurs that is out of our control. If we still had control, I'd be hopeful. Once you lose control, you failed as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think our window is closed or anything stupid like that. We're injured. We have some weaknesses that have been weaknesses for years that have finally caught up with us. Time for Pete and John to address them or our window will close as we waste Russell's best years.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:07 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I don't see the point of not stating something as a probability exceeding 95%. We're out unless some highly improbably chain of events occurs that is out of our control. If we still had control, I'd be hopeful. Once you lose control, you failed as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think our window is closed or anything stupid like that. We're injured. We have some weaknesses that have been weaknesses for years that have finally caught up with us. Time for Pete and John to address them or our window will close as we waste Russell's best years.

Yes, even if we win out, the odds are not in our favor for winning out. But as a fan, I'm not counting us out until we're mathmatically eliminated. As Yogi Berra once said: It's not over until it's over.

Chances are that my #12 flag comes down tomorrow evening.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:41 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:
I don't see the point of not stating something as a probability exceeding 95%. We're out unless some highly improbably chain of events occurs that is out of our control. If we still had control, I'd be hopeful. Once you lose control, you failed as far as I'm concerned.

95% is our number against winning the division, we still have a 20% chance of making the playoffs.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:35 am

c_hawkbob wrote:95% is our number against winning the division, we still have a 20% chance of making the playoffs.

And those are just straight odds, too, and doesn't take into account things like the Falcons having to play both the Saints and the Panthers. They could easily drop 2 straight.

I'm not one to hold out an unreasonable hope for the football Gods to have mercy on us, but no matter what the odds, I'll still be watching and rooting for us to win.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum