John Schneider's dream job just opened up....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

John Schneider's dream job just opened up....

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 pm

curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: John Schneider's dream job just opened up....

Postby chris98251 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Seen this on another site and in PFT also, people are saying that he can't leave because he is under contract. Contracts are on paper which can be ripped up for a price, given our current situation of out of the playoffs and trending down so to speak there may be more open minded thinking about changes and they may let him go as well. Remember he works for Pete and Pete is all about opportunities for his guys, it's a once called dream job by Schneider, Pete is all about pursuing dreams.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:27 pm

I believe it is in his contract that it is the one job he can leave for. If not, things can happen, draft picks, etc.....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:48 pm

curmudgeon wrote:I believe it is in his contract that it is the one job he can leave for. If not, things can happen, draft picks, etc.....

That clause was not in his new contract, but as you stated a Contract is not something that is set in stone, it can be worked around if the parties are motivated.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Oh in the What if category, Schneider is in love with Wilson, if John were to become the Packers GM is Pete's value of Wilson the same as Johns and if not could there be a trade that would happen? Makes for interesting forward thinking.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:47 pm

chris98251 wrote:Oh in the What if category, Schneider is in love with Wilson, if John were to become the Packers GM is Pete's value of Wilson the same as Johns and if not could there be a trade that would happen? Makes for interesting forward thinking.

I don’t see that. Rodgers has 4 or 5 years left most likely . Anyone who traded Wilson from Seattle would be strung up barring an absolute collapse in his standard of play. He is the face of the franchise .

It would not shock me to see Wilson drive a hard bargain should he be allowed to have his contract expire. A lot more teams than one would be interested.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:57 pm

I don’t see that. Rodgers has 4 or 5 years left most likely . Anyone who traded Wilson from Seattle would be strung up barring an absolute collapse in his standard of play. He is the face of the franchise .

It would not shock me to see Wilson drive a hard bargain should he be allowed to have his contract expire. A lot more teams than one would be interested.

No, they would be shot in the stomach so they would roll around a while before the died.
obiken
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Year Age Base Salary Signing Restructure Cap Hit

2018 29 $15,500,000 $6,200,000 $2,086,666 $23,786,666

2019 30 $17,000,000 $6,200,000 $2,086,668 $25,286,668

If John left these are the Cap hits for Wilson, the new GM would have to be bought into Wilson being his guy, we know Pete was not as high on Wilson as John was, I think he liked him of course but may not be enamored with some of his limitations as we have seen, mostly the disruptive aspects of his pocket scrambling which is funny since he was in Minnesota when Tarkington was working his magic also.

The biggest aspect is does Pete let John go and bless the cap space relieved by letting Wilson go as well allowing to rebuild quickly if he has another QB he believes in available that is cheaper to have on the roster and allow him to put money into the offensive side of the ball.

I should add I am purely playing devils advocate here also.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:31 am

Pete wants a Point Guard at QB and Wilson is the best one currently playing in the NFL.
He's been forced to be much more the last few years, but that's not his fault, he's just trying do do everything he can to win.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 am

Schneider is likely gone if this is true.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:29 am

NorthHawk wrote:Pete wants a Point Guard at QB and Wilson is the best one currently playing in the NFL.
He's been forced to be much more the last few years, but that's not his fault, he's just trying do do everything he can to win.

Russell turns 30 next season. He's not going to be that point guard QB much longer. Heck, he's already showing symptoms of DCS (David Carr Syndrome) due to PC's dependence on Russell for the lion's share of our rushing production.

If Russell is to survive and remain productive through the 2nd half of his career, they are going to have to get an OC in here that can put an offense around him that doesn't rely so much on Russell as a runner.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:37 am

chris98251 wrote:Oh in the What if category, Schneider is in love with Wilson, if John were to become the Packers GM is Pete's value of Wilson the same as Johns and if not could there be a trade that would happen? Makes for interesting forward thinking.

I don't see that happening, either. First of all, the Packers wouldn't be able to pay the asking price, which would have to include a couple of young Pro Bowl players of which they do not have on their roster, along with a couple of #1 draft picks.

Secondly, it would mean that the first thing that tne new GM did would be to trade Russell Wilson? I'd like to see the set of nuts on the guy that proposes that trade.

And lastly, Paul Allen hardly ever interferes with decision making when it comes to anything football related, but I would have to think that the old man might just rear up and slam the door shut on the fingers of any GM or HC that proposes to trade Russell.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:41 pm

Besides the fact that he came from there (not to mention Seattle is a much, much more beautiful and comfortable climate to live in)...why would Schneider want to return to Wisconsin? He would be living under Ted Thompson's formidable shadow 24/7, too.
I-5
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:31 pm

I-5 wrote:Besides the fact that he came from there (not to mention Seattle is a much, much more beautiful and comfortable climate to live in)...why would Schneider want to return to Wisconsin? He would be living under Ted Thompson's formidable shadow 24/7, too.

Does anyone know if Wisconsin has a better tax bracket for people making JS type money?
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:10 pm

idhawkman wrote:Does anyone know if Wisconsin has a better tax bracket for people making JS type money?

Washington does not have an income tax, but Wisconsin does. My assumption is that Washington would be a far better place for JS type money (or any other money as far as that goes).
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:01 pm

idhawkman wrote:Does anyone know if Wisconsin has a better tax bracket for people making JS type money?
RiverDog wrote:
Washington does not have an income tax, but Wisconsin does. My assumption is that Washington would be a far better place for JS type money (or any other money as far as that goes).

I shouldn't have limited to just the income tax. What about sales tax, property taxes, Vehicle registrations, etc.?
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:13 pm

we know Pete was not as high on Wilson as John was, I think he liked him of course but may not be enamored with some of his limitations as we have seen, mostly the disruptive aspects of his pocket scrambling

RW has no "limitations", at least as they're typically defined for NFL QBs. Any disruption that happens because of his scrambling is (at least arguably) more than offset by what he does after he scrambles.

Does anyone think a bog-standard pocket passer would have been a great QB for Seattle the last few years?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49 pm

idhawkman wrote:I shouldn't have limited to just the income tax. What about sales tax, property taxes, Vehicle registrations, etc.?

WA's sales tax is effectively is about 8.0% (cities can tack on a certain percentage). Our car licensing is about $50/year plus tonnage, but those taxes and fees are incidental to a 6 figure income. The biggest consideration for professional athletes is the income tax, or lack thereof. WA is one of just 7 states that doesn't have an income tax. TX and FL are the only other states with NFL teams not to have an income tax.

I can recall a bit of a sticky situation in Oregon years back when Portland was bidding to host what is now the Washington Nationals. Not only would players on Portland's team be subject to the state income tax, but every visiting player and coach would be, too. They probably would have had to come up with some sort of exception, but the way it is now, even if you live in WA and work for a WA employer, you have to pay OR income tax on any time spent working in OR.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:05 pm

RiverDog wrote:WA's sales tax is effectively is about 8.0% (cities can tack on a certain percentage). Our car licensing is about $50/year plus tonnage, but those taxes and fees are incidental to a 6 figure income. The biggest consideration for professional athletes is the income tax, or lack thereof. WA is one of just 7 states that doesn't have an income tax. TX and FL are the only other states with NFL teams not to have an income tax.

I can recall a bit of a sticky situation in Oregon years back when Portland was bidding to host what is now the Washington Nationals. Not only would players on Portland's team be subject to the state income tax, but every visiting player and coach would be, too. They probably would have had to come up with some sort of exception, but the way it is now, even if you live in WA and work for a WA employer, you have to pay OR income tax on any time spent working in OR.

Yeah that’s how it is for professional athletes, which mitigates any overall savings a player gets from living in a state without income tax. It’s still better overall but not as good as one might think.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:06 am

burrrton wrote:Does anyone think a bog-standard pocket passer would have been a great QB for Seattle the last few years?

Don't know the "bog" reference but a pocket passer would get killed behind this line.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:46 am

mykc14 wrote:Yeah that’s how it is for professional athletes, which mitigates any overall savings a player gets from living in a state without income tax. It’s still better overall but not as good as one might think.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the majority of professional athletes don't buy real estate in WA as they'd have to hold it for 24 months in order to avoid capital gains on any increase in value and thus not be subject to property taxes except indirectly through rentals and leases. We all know how suddenly a player can be traded or cut, so even those with long term deals have to be pretty certain of themselves to commit to a house for 2 years. Besides, most of them spend the offseason somewhere else.

So that leaves sales taxes, and unless they're residents of the state, they can go somewhere else to buy their big ticket items like their Bentley's and Hummers and duck that tax, too.

So really, a professional athlete in this state can have their cake and eat it, too, at least as it pertains to avoiding a heavy tax burden.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 am

idhawkman wrote:I shouldn't have limited to just the income tax. What about sales tax, property taxes, Vehicle registrations, etc.?
RiverDog wrote:
WA's sales tax is effectively is about 8.0% (cities can tack on a certain percentage). Our car licensing is about $50/year plus tonnage, but those taxes and fees are incidental to a 6 figure income. The biggest consideration for professional athletes is the income tax, or lack thereof. WA is one of just 7 states that doesn't have an income tax. TX and FL are the only other states with NFL teams not to have an income tax.

So what about property taxes on their biggest asset (Home)?
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:25 am

The Seahawks denied the Packers permission to interview Schneider.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/seatt ... ews-rumors
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:37 am

idhawkman wrote:So what about property taxes on their biggest asset (Home)?

As I said above, I don't think that a lot of players actually own homes, at least not in WA. I know that Russell Wilson owns a $6.7M home in the Seattle area, but I doubt that many others do. Most don't have the job security that would allow them to commit to two years here. Heck, Pete Carroll made big news by selling his home a couple of years ago and I never saw where he bought another.

But since you seem so interested in comparative real estate taxes between the states, WA's is actually lower than WI. Here's a link:

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/prop ... x-by-state
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:00 am

NorthHawk wrote:The Seahawks denied the Packers permission to interview Schneider.

which means if they really really want him they'll have to pony up big for him.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:56 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Don't know the "bog" reference but a pocket passer would get killed behind this line.

It just means ordinary, and agreed.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:57 am

c_hawkbob wrote:which means if they really really want him they'll have to pony up big for him.

Maybe, maybe not. The last couple of sentences of that article went like this:

Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel says that the Packers could push the fact that Schneider isn’t a “high-level employee” considering Carroll’s presence in the front office. However, that would require Green Bay to “certify a dispute” with commissioner Roger Goodell, and it would surely lead to some bad blood between the two organizations.

This could end up being one of those "poison pill" disputes that could wind up in the courts.

We'll see. If Schneider wants out badly enough, I doubt that the issue of his contract will be that big of a problem. What good is it going to do our organization by keeping an employee here against their will? But on the other hand, if he wanted the Packers GM job that bad, you would have thought that he would have insisted that the clause in his original contract be duplicated into his current one.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:49 am

NorthHawk wrote:The Seahawks denied the Packers permission to interview Schneider.

Yeah, interesting that his new extension didn't have an "out" clause as it was rumoured his original deal had. Although Schneider denied that "out" clause ever existed.

So a trade would be the only way the Packers could get Schneider out of Seattle. I also think the dynamic in Seattle of Pete having more say than most coaches on personnel decision plays a role in Seattle denying the Packers. I don't think Pete wants to go out and look for someone else who would work with him the same way Schneider does. It has worked so far, but as we all know, this is the first time where the pressure is now on them.

They worked magic when they first got here, can't remember the number but the amount of moves they made in the first 2 years was astronomical. Obviously don't need the quantity of moves this time around, but the quality of them will be key.

My 2 cents?....Bevell needs to go.....Cable, meh, I could go either way....I really want Sherm back, I know his antics the last few years have worn thin on some posters in here, but I love this guy, have from day #1, Seahawks need him back....Graham, if Bevell stays let him walk, if Bevell goes, would like to see him back but the price would have to be right......would like both Richardson's back......and give Carson and Davis the first chances at RB next year and draft some young ones, I am done with Lacy, Rawls, and Procise....it still boggles my mind our leading RB rusher had 68 attempts for 240 yards(Davis) and the 6 of them combined for 1 rushing TD(McKissic)....WTF??
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:which means if they really really want him they'll have to pony up big for him.

Sure, Pete will leverage John for picks from Green Bay, his friend going after his dream job. Doubt it. If John asks for release to go to Green Bay, Pete will miss him and let him go. I don't see Pete as the type of guy to stop a guy he likes and has done great work with him from taking his dream job. If John wants to go and he gets the job, Seattle will release him clean or for token compensation like a 7th round pick or something.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Sure, Pete will leverage John for picks from Green Bay, his friend going after his dream job. Doubt it. If John asks for release to go to Green Bay, Pete will miss him and let him go. I don't see Pete as the type of guy to stop a guy he likes and has done great work with him from taking his dream job. If John wants to go and he gets the job, Seattle will release him clean or for token compensation like a 7th round pick or something.

So you're saying Rappaport is wrong and we really didn't deny GB permission to talk with him about it?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm sure Pete is happy that the Packers want to look at Schneider, I think in another year it would not big a deal, but this year with not being in the playoffs, Avril and Kam injured to the point of retirement, all our F.A. players and really in re build mode he can't let him walk for nothing. I am sure John would like the chance to build his own team with his own merit associated with it, especially in Green Bay, most consider this Pete's team, not Johns.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:56 pm

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43284/packers-denied-permission-to-interview-john-schneider-could-still-pursue-trade

... yes, the Packers did want him (to at least interview) and JS must of initiated it, or they wouldn't of wasted their time asking. Who is above JS on the tree or maybe Paul Allen stepped in.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:28 am

Imo he’s gone. It’s just a matter of when and how. I think it’s smart to try to get something in return .

Part of me wonders if it’s kind of like Hutchinson living in the shadow of big Walt.
PC casts a long shadow and I don’t think John will ever get the recognition sharing the stage here.

It’s the end of an era in many ways.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:48 am

jshawaii22 wrote:... yes, the Packers did want him (to at least interview) and JS must of initiated it, or they wouldn't of wasted their time asking. Who is above JS on the tree or maybe Paul Allen stepped in.

I think you're trying to read more into this story than what's there. IMO the Packers are casting a wide net and are sending out feelers to judge interest, JS being one of many possible candidates. The only way the Packers were going to find out if there was any interest was to ask the Hawks if they could talk to him. If JS really wanted to talk, I can't imagine the Hawks telling him no.

So my take is that this story goes nowhere, that at least for the time being, JS is just fine with where he is and that the Packers will move on to someone else.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:14 am

jshawaii22 wrote:http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43284/packers-denied-permission-to-interview-john-schneider-could-still-pursue-trade

... yes, the Packers did want him (to at least interview) and JS must of initiated it, or they wouldn't of wasted their time asking. Who is above JS on the tree or maybe Paul Allen stepped in.

Huh? What about this leads to the conclusion that Schneider "must" have initiated contact?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:36 am

Tuck your tail and run JS. Time to rethink things anyway and thanks for the memories.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:36 am

I don't know if it was mentioned above, but maybe it was done so as to make it look like JS couldn't interview when in fact he thinks he has unfinished business here and a better time to move on will be down the road.
It doesn't make him look like a guy not interested when the timing isn't just right.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 am

NorthHawk wrote:I don't know if it was mentioned above, but maybe it was done so as to make it look like JS couldn't interview when in fact he thinks he has unfinished business here and a better time to move on will be down the road.
It doesn't make him look like a guy not interested when the timing isn't just right.

Maybe I’m playing devils advocate but I think his business may well be finished .

The division is brutal all of a sudden . Seattle is slammed on the cap with tens of millions tied up in aging injured defensive players .
They haven’t hit on a dominant o line in spite of spending more draft picks on the position than any other team last 5 years. They brought on 2 high priced free agents and still had a leaky bad line .

The TE they traded an all pro center for us likely leaving without any compensation.The coach stubbornly refuses to address the anemic first half offense the only real way he can at this point which is clean house with the OC. Cable should go too.

I want to think I’m wrong but this team is a couple of excellent players from being the 2008 Seahawks who went 4-12 the year after playing in the divisional . They didn’t have Wilson , Wags or Earl which would be the difference but barring a stellar offseason I don’t see them back where they were a couple of seasons ago.

GB is the easier job imo.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:49 am

Hawktawk wrote:Maybe I’m playing devils advocate but I think his business may well be finished .

The division is brutal all of a sudden . Seattle is slammed on the cap with tens of millions tied up in aging injured defensive players .
They haven’t hit on a dominant o line in spite of spending more draft picks on the position than any other team last 5 years. They brought on 2 high priced free agents and still had a leaky bad line .

The TE they traded an all pro center for us likely leaving without any compensation.The coach stubbornly refuses to address the anemic first half offense the only real way he can at this point which is clean house with the OC. Cable should go too.

I want to think I’m wrong but this team is a couple of excellent players from being the 2008 Seahawks who went 4-12 the year after playing in the divisional . They didn’t have Wilson , Wags or Earl which would be the difference but barring a stellar offseason I don’t see them back where they were a couple of seasons ago.

GB is the easier job imo.

Sadly, I have to agree. We're closer to the 2008 Seahawks that went 4-12 than we are the 2013 Seahawks that went 13-3 and won the Lombardi. We're a .500ish team.

One of the things I think that has happened is that when Pete first came here, he had some incredible insight into players coming out of college, particularily those west of the Mississippi and close to Pete's territory, that had what it took to play in on his teams: Sherman was from Stanford, Brandon Browner Oregon State, Bobby Wagner Utah State, and Earl Thomas from Texas. Even his best trade acquisition, Marshawn Lynch, was from Cal. He knew these players, knew what they could do for him.

Now the further displaced Pete gets from his days at USC, the more contacts of his that have moved on to different places, the worse his insight has gotten. We're not hitting the home runs in the late round draft picks like he did in his first couple of years.

We might have to wait another month until after the SB to see if Pete's going to shake up his coaching staff.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:21 pm

We went "all in" and then crapped out. If GB is interested in JS then I expect he will leave, but is GB interested in John? Was the idea here to go cheap on the O-Line Schneider's or Pete's?? I f it was Schneider's I don't think the brain trust in GB would want to work with someone who believes such sacrilege. I think we can all agree that success is built around the O & D Lines.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the end of season conference Pete & Co. will have with Paul Allen. P.A. has been more patient with his football team than he ever has with his NBA team. Will P.A. "buy" Pete's B.S. about how our offense will magically get better as soon as Carson can play again?? I sure don't. If Tom Cable's head isn't rolling and the ZBS blocking scheme chucked I will be severally disappointed!

To be fair, I would like to see what Bevell can do with a credible O-Line to see if he can call a decent game because there have been flashes of brilliance at times by D.B.

I have to call out a 5 thumbs up to Sark. who called a great game for the Falcons yesterday. I have to admit I was wrong about that guy and I have to wonder what would have happened had Pete fired Bevell last year and hired Sark as out O.C.. Sark, of course, like Bevell would need to have a decent O-Line in order for their offense to work as intended.

Who knows? maybe Gruden will take Tom Cable off of our hands?
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum