John Schneider's dream job just opened up....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Well now it just closed

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:08 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2199 ... al-manager

Sorry those of you who wanted him gone ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: John Schneider's dream job just opened up....

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:47 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:So you're saying Rappaport is wrong and we really didn't deny GB permission to talk with him about it?

Yeah. I think Rappaport is wrong. Our FO is one of the tightest lipped of any in the league. They didn't tell Rappaport crap. It's why it makes it hard to judge their picks or moves. No one knows right now what is going on behind the scenes in Seattle except Pete, John, and Paul and their close confidants who won't leak. I'm basing my opinion off Pete and John's relationship and personality. As I see it if they don't talk to John, it's because John said he's not interested out of loyalty to Pete. If John really wants a shot at the job, they will let him talk to them and go. You can believe the NFL reports, I'm going to believe what I know about Pete and John watching them the last eight years. Maybe Paul Allen stepped in as he might go, "Business first", but I don't think that would happen either. I would be extraordinarily surprised if Pete played hardball given how much he supports his people having their dream jobs.

We'll see in time as this rolls. If John really wants it and Green Bay wants him, I think he leaves for no compensation or token compensation like a 7th round pick.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Re: Well now it just closed

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:54 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21994616/green-bay-packers-go-internal-hire-brian-gutekunst-general-manager

Sorry those of you who wanted him gone ...

I didn't want John gone. This makes me happy.

I still believe this was John's decision and not Pete or Paul Allen holding him back or denying the Packers a chance to speak to John. Pete and John like working together in my opinion. I think Paul Allen trusts Pete and John as a team in Seattle.

Damn. Good news. Thank goodness. Now Pete and John need to sit down and get this things fixed. One worry off my mind. John Schneider should be in Seattle a long time. This is as much his team as it is Pete's as far as I'm concerned. I think they can get it right again.

I'd be just as happy if when Pete retires, they hand the team off to John to see what he can do running the team.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm

by c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:14 am

jshawaii22 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-pack ... rsue-trade

... yes, the Packers did want him (to at least interview) and JS must of initiated it, or they wouldn't of wasted their time asking. Who is above JS on the tree or maybe Paul Allen stepped in.

Huh? What about this leads to the conclusion that Schneider "must" have initiated contact?

Conclusion? I don't think it's that hard to assume that someone high in the Packer's organization called JS's agent or JS himself, considering the background he has with the team, to gauge interest before contacting the Seahawks in "public". It happens all the time before free agency with the players, why not with a GM?

I would think it's more probable than not that there was an off-the-record conversation.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:42 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Conclusion? I don't think it's that hard to assume that someone high in the Packer's organization called JS's agent or JS himself, considering the background he has with the team, to gauge interest before contacting the Seahawks in "public". It happens all the time before free agency with the players, why not with a GM?

I would think it's more probable than not that there was an off-the-record conversation.

It's the word "must" ... you said JS "must" have initiated contract and that's simply not in evidence. But then of course you seem to have rethought that in light of the content of this post.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:02 pm

If Paul simply asks John whether he wants to stay or go, I'd hope that our owner would go along with whatever decision Schneider makes.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:25 pm

It's the word "must" ... you said JS "must" have initiated contract and that's simply not in evidence. But then of course you seem to have rethought that in light of the content of this post.

[/quote]
Ah so... you're right. It may not of happened, it could of.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:05 pm

Zorn76 wrote:If Paul simply asks John whether he wants to stay or go, I'd hope that our owner would go along with whatever decision Schneider makes.

Which is one of the reasons why I think that Schneider isn't interested, as if he were, he could always appeal to the old man, and based on what I know about PA's character, he would not stand in his way.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:31 pm

Everyone knew that the GB job would open at any time. If he was ask to and agree to sign a contract that didn't have an 'out' clause, like his first one, It doesn't matter from that point on if he wants that job or not. I'm sure he was compensated for that choice, too, within the new contract.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:58 am

[quote="jshawaii22"]Everyone knew that the GB job would open at any time. If he was ask to and agree to sign a contract that didn't have an 'out' clause, like his first one, It doesn't matter from that point on if he wants that job or not. I'm sure he was compensated for that choice, too, within the new contract.[/quote}

Let's all pretend we are not Hawk fans, how is the GB job better than the Seattle job?? Just wandering.
obiken
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:00 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Everyone knew that the GB job would open at any time. If he was ask to and agree to sign a contract that didn't have an 'out' clause, like his first one, It doesn't matter from that point on if he wants that job or not. I'm sure he was compensated for that choice, too, within the new contract.

Let's all pretend we are not Hawk fans, how is the GB job better than the Seattle job?? Just wandering.[/quote]
obiken
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:01 am

[/quote]
jshawaii22 wrote:Everyone knew that the GB job would open at any time. If he was ask to and agree to sign a contract that didn't have an 'out' clause, like his first one, It doesn't matter from that point on if he wants that job or not. I'm sure he was compensated for that choice, too, within the new contract.

Let's all pretend we are not Hawk fans, how is the GB job better than the Seattle job?? Just wandering.
obiken
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 am

obiken wrote:

Let's all pretend we are not Hawk fans, how is the GB job better than the Seattle job?? Just wandering. Now LA or Florida I get, but Wisconsin? Come on?? Moreover, they are two franchises that have QB's that carry a boatload of junk. How is their junk better than our junk.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:56 am

We don't even know if John's first contract had an out clause. Fact is our FO is very tight lipped. John and Pete are good friends on and off the field as near as I can tell. I can't think of a GM and Coach combination with a healthier relationship in the league. If I were betting money, I'd bet they asked John and John said not interested or declined himself to talk to the Packers. The type of man he is, I doubt he leaves after a bad season. Just not his style. He'd rather leave on a good note with the team in a good place as a matter of personal pride and respect for the owner and head coach. At least that is the type of man I think Schneider is and I'm happy he's still our GM. That was a bigger worry to me than anything else when the GB job was open.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:15 am

Paul Allen denied GB permission to talk to JS and so they hired someone else to be their new G.M. OK, we now have a GM who was denied his dream job, I hope that won't affect his attention to detail as he moves forward

*edit. Green Bay hired Brian Gutekunst as their new G.M.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:*edit. Green Bay hired Brian Gutekunst as their new G.M.

It's not official yet, but it sure looks like it.

http://fox6now.com/2018/01/07/report-gr ... as-new-gm/

So much for this debate.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:43 am

I don't think they would keep someone around if they'd rather be somewhere else.
There's nothing worse than an unmotivated employee. It spreads like a disease throughout the business.
That's why I think it was his decision not to interview and the team took the hit as the bad guy.
This leaves him the chance to interview for that job if it comes up again in the future without having any baggage.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:28 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I don't think they would keep someone around if they'd rather be somewhere else.
There's nothing worse than an unmotivated employee. It spreads like a disease throughout the business.
That's why I think it was his decision not to interview and the team took the hit as the bad guy.
This leaves him the chance to interview for that job if it comes up again in the future without having any baggage.

I agree. Pete's been there himself. Many in that business, or most any business as far as that goes, wants to move up the ladder, and especially if it's a known destination such as Green Bay was to Schneider, no one in their right mind is going to get in his way, to the contrary, they're going to do what they can to make it happen.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum