Off Season Player Moves and the Draft

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Off Season Player Moves and the Draft

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:30 pm

No time like the present to look forward and speculate about who will be here next year and possible draft picks.
When I look at the Free Agents, I don't expect the following to be here next year.

Unrestricted FA's:
Jimmy Graham
Luke Joeckel
Eddie Lacy
Paul Richardson
Blair Walsh
Marcus Smith
Oday Aboushi
Dewey McDonald

Restricted FA:
Thomas Rawls

Exclusive Rights FA's:
Branden Jackson
Joey Hunt
Phil Dawson
Jordan Simone
Tyrus Thompson
Josh Forrest

Some of these EFA's might end up on the Practice Squad, but they will be challenged by draft picks and Free Agent signings.
There are some that are on the fence (as in I'm not sure about them) as well like Luke Willson, Michael Wilhoite, DeShawn Shead.

Who I think might be priority re-signings are but it will be difficult to keep some of them like S. Richardson:
UFA's:
Sheldon Richardson
Bradley McDougald
Byron Maxwell
Hope to re-sign:
DeShawn Shead
Terence Garvin

RFA's:
Dion Jordan
Justin Coleman
Mike Davis

ERFA's:
Tyler Ott (Long Snapper)
Garrison Smith
Tyrone Swoopes
JD McKissic

We might lose some veterans, too as Mike Bennett suggested he might not be back if the team goes on a youth movement and ET might be on the trading block after saying he wants to play for Dallas. Then there's the Sherman issue left over from last year along with probable Kam and Cliff retirements/Injury settlements. Who knows how it will all work out, but some Cap relief is needed.

The Draft will be interesting as we have the #18 selection.
I expect JS to trade down at least once to recoup at least a 2nd or 3rd round pick - maybe both.
It seems we might be in a good position as as many as 5 QBs might go in the 1st round and teams tend to value QBs higher in the draft than they might otherwise be.
There are 5 QBs that might be possible 1st round selections this year.
It doesn't mean teams who don't want a QB won't move up, rather with more QB's going early, other players could fall unexpectedly making them affordable for trading up.

For us, from what Pete has said, RB will be a focus and there are a lot to choose from in this draft.
The guy I like (other than Saquon Barkley) is Damien Harris from Alabama. He's big, strong, fast, has good vision, and blocks well. He wouldn't be a liability in pass protection. After him, Nick Chubb from Georgia.
We get to see both on Monday in the National Championship along with Chubb's running mate Sony Michel. The other RB in the game to consider is Bo Scarbrough of Alabama but he hasn't declared yet, if he does at all.
Outside this game, Kerryon Johnson from Auburn, Derrius Guice from LSU, Rashaad Perrry from San Diego State, Josh Adams from ND, Ronald Jones II from USC, and Royce Freeman from Oregon fit the physical profile Pete and John appear to look for at RB (5'10" to 6'2" and 200 to 220 lbs similar to Marshawn Lynch) in the draft.

Many of us would like them to take OL early, too but Pete sounded like they are going to fix the run game with a good and durable RB.
I would guess that if they traded down for more picks in the 2nd and 3rd, they might consider one if they have one ranked highly that's suddenly there, but mid to late might be the realistic result.
Last edited by NorthHawk on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Off Season Personnel Moves and the Draft

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Nice summation, North Hawk!

But when you said off season personnel moves, I was thinking there was an announcement about the OC and/or OL coach in your post.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:27 pm

RiverDog wrote:Nice summation, North Hawk!

But when you said off season personnel moves, I was thinking there was an announcement about the OC and/or OL coach in your post.

I changed the title to make it clearer. Thanks!
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 am

RiverDog wrote:Nice summation, North Hawk!

Sounds like Pete's pretty happy with the oline. Not sure any moves are going to be made there.
idhawkman
Legacy

Re: Off Season Player Moves and the Draft

Postby trents » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:11 pm

I don't think Jimmy Graham will be gone. He's dropped some passes and sometimes MIA in the open field but he's a touchdown machine in the red zone.

Bo Scarbrough is too much like Eddie Lacy. Hits the hole too slow.
trents
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:45 am

I think Graham will be too expensive, but we've shown before on Offense that we're willing to shell out big money for a player then not know what to do with them so it would fit a pattern.
Scarbrough is interesting as some team might want him and take him early, but you are right he is a bit of a Lacy type. Harris though in my mind is the real deal.
We get to see all 4 (Harris, Chubb, Michel, and Scarbrough) in the Championship game Monday night so it's worth watching.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:50 am

I agree on Harris. To me, he impresses me much more than Scarbrough. He's quick enough to make yards even when the defense is fresh in the early stages of a game.
trents
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:55 am

Nicely done, Northhawk.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:49 am

Georgia vs Alabummer draft picks :

Going to be interesting tonight to see what Chubb and Michel can do vs. Alabummer.

I like both of those guys immensly for Seattle.

Also, keep your eye on Isaiah Wynn of Georgia (LT) dude is fluid and is a gem probably at G for the Hawks.

If the Hawks let Richardson walk receiver Javon Wims is another Georgia talent to focus on. He became the teams go-to receiver during the season, saving his only college production for his Senior year. He’s 6-4 and 215lbs and could provide the kind of dynamic big outside target the Seahawks have lacked over the years.

For Ala. Check out Damien Harris, Possibly the most complete runner not named Saquon Barkley, Harris has the ideal combination of grit, physicality, speed, explosion, willingness to pass block like his life depends on it, size and character.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm

It would be nice to pick up a couple really good backs in the draft. They get hurt so often you need a stable full of horses. With the Hawks, their best running backs seem to be injured most of the time and I have doubts whether any of them will ever be the same. So many bad, bad injuries like broken legs and ankles.
trents
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Chubb had reconstructive knee surgery 2 years ago and he came back in part to show he's regained his form.
I'm not sure he will be completely the same as before when tested, but he's had a good year nonetheless.
Like most RB's, he needs some blocking up front but has some lateral quickness like Lynch that Harris doesn't seem to have.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Chubb has kicked ass all year. It's like Clowney getting microfracture surgery. Hardly anyone recovers to play well after but he sure did.

Chubb is the real deal, hell even Gurley had a hellish injury in college and look a t his progress.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Largent80 wrote:Chubb has kicked ass all year. It's like Clowney getting microfracture surgery. Hardly anyone recovers to play well after but he sure did.

Chubb is the real deal, hell even Gurley had a hellish injury in college and look a t his progress.

Interestingly Chubb when was a Freshman and Gurley's backup he burst onto the scene when Gurley was suspended.

I like him and Harris, but I think Harris brings the added pass blocking that's needed in our Offense along with good hands which could make him a 3 down back.
On the other side of the coin, Chubb seems to have more explosive plays so I would be happy with one of them.
Having said that, we probably won't get either.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Saquon Barkley of Penn State is the running back that intrigues me the most, but he'll more than likely go in the top 5 if not top overall.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm

Let's not forget Bryce Love from Stanford and I would even throw in Miles Gaskin, though they are both on the small side. Even so, they pack a lot of punch with lots of quicks.
trents
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Barkley won't make it to 18 even if we stayed there.
Tonight's game makes me think I've underestimated Sony Michel. He's got a lot of positives to his game.

Rashaad Perry is another RB to keep an eye on. He's got the height/weight our FO looks for and he ran for over 2000 yards. He also ran back kicks.
A lot will depend on how the Combine workouts turn out.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:30 pm

What a great game.

Chubb looked like chumps. Michel looked good although Georgia messed up using him in the game.

He's seahawky
Largent80
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum