Schottenheimer hired as OC

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Schottenheimer hired as OC

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 pm

It’s per Schefter on Twitter. No link. I was hoping for outside the box but he is a run first coach.
Last edited by Stream Hawk on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Re: Schottenheimer hires as OC

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm

That does not inspire confidence. I guess he is the conservative, run first OC-type Pete likes, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I was hoping we would pick up someone better in the passing game, since Pete and John don't seem capable of building a good O-line and finding a capable RB with Marshawn gone.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Well they still haven’t hired their offensive line coach. Fingers crossed it isn’t also assistant head coach because that sh*t don’t fly.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 pm

https://www.profootballrumors.com/seattle-seahawks-news-rumors

'Andrew Luck did complete a career-high 63.5 percent of his passes under Schottenheimer in 2016, however, and Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times tweets some in the Seahawks organization were impressed with how he tailored an offense around Jacoby Brissett‘s mobility.'

Maybe there's some hope as he coached Brees, too so he knows a little about shorter QB's.
Like other posters have said, though, he fits the run first type our FO wants to play.
Now to get a stud RB to make it happen.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:12 pm

I'm OK with Schott as OC if it's who Pete think he can work with. I can't pretend to know as much about these candidates a Pete does.
Last edited by c_hawkbob on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Not seems the popular choice out there. Panned pretty hard on PFT and other sites.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Kind of a ho-hum hire, but at least it's a change.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Crap and here I was rooting for Philly to lose so we could try for Defilipo.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:04 pm

RiverDog wrote:Kind of a ho-hum hire, but at least it's a change.

Scary how you and I are on the same page! Vanilla hire but Pete has to own this guy.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Schottenheimers Offenses have a lot of pre-snap motion. That's something we haven't seen under Pete and with Bevell.
It's built on the Coryell model and is also used by Sean Payton and Belichick, so we at least should see something a little different. TE is also a big factor with him often using 2 TEs in the passing game.
It's going to be interesting to see how the Offense evolves and the players adapt.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:40 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Schottenheimers Offenses have a lot of pre-snap motion. That's something we haven't seen under Pete and with Bevell.
It's built on the Coryell model and is also used by Sean Payton and Belichick, so we at least should see something a little different. TE is also a big factor with him often using 2 TEs in the passing game.
It's going to be interesting to see how the Offense evolves and the players adapt.

That’s good to hear about the presnap motion. I would love some changes and Payton and Belichick are good references.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Not a sexy hire, but he did do OK with what he had to work with in Indy.
Brissett is still learning, but demonstrated some playmaking ability.

I also woulda liked to go outside the norm for this one, but focusing on a RB 1st approach - provided we find one that's effective - is good to hear. It isn't necessarily huge points we need to put up, as much as it is moving the chains more and giving our D more rest along the way. Ever since we lost Beast, Nobody has stepped up to the plate in terms of effectiveness or health. Time to take the Best RB you can in April. Even with a crap line a talented kid will be able to limit the negative plays behind scrimmage:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I wonder if they are considering Mike Tice for OL coach.
It would mean swapping Coaches which would be unusual but he's a power blocking coach unlike Cable.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 pm

They Have to start drafting OL guys that played at least 3 yrs of the position in college.
NO more basketball players.
NO more projects.

Just eliminating those 2 Flawed approaches will be a positive sign.
Oh, and maybe an offense that allows RW to make quick reads (instead of holding onto the ball duing 5 or 7 step drop backs, lol) and our offense to move the chains more effectively. Cable's Crap OL demanded that Bevelll use this approach as a signature, but instead ol' Darrell just buried his head in the ground, still pretending that it was 2013 when his vanilla offense worked. Our opponents knew our game plan as well as we did, lol, and that's why this firing was at least 2 yrs overdue.

Next coordinator up!:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:09 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm OK with Schott as OC if it's who Pete think he can work with. I can't pretend to know as much about these candidates a Pete does.

I can't either but I do in fact know that, he's never actually been, you know... Successful. At all.
His best offense was with the Jets, it was mediocre at best really.
I get Pete wants to get back to running the ball and a ball control offense, but I'd have been much much more interested in the Eagles o.c. as per those rumors.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 pm

The pre-snap motion is intended to identify the keys for the QB and provide more options.
It'll be a bit of a learning curve for Russell, but he should be able to master it if Schottenheimer is a good teacher.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:40 pm

We woulda been better off with Wilson calling his own plays for the last couple of seasons.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 pm

W T F do I know? Welcome Brian (or however you spell it). The stakes are high. Get er done!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:30 am

According to Pete, the reason they pounced on him relatively quickly was that they knew who it was they wanted so they pulled the trigger to lock him up "before other teams got involved." Since he's coming from one of the worst teams in the league and hasn't had a great track record, I'm a little unclear as to who those teams might have been.

As far as yielding to Pete's judgement on this matter, I'll do it without hesitation when it involves the defense, but not nearly as quickly when it involves the offense. But apparently he knew who it was he wanted, so we'll see.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:40 am

RiverDog wrote:According to Pete, the reason they pounced on him relatively quickly was that they knew who it was they wanted so they pulled the trigger to lock him up "before other teams got involved." Since he's coming from one of the worst teams in the league and hasn't had a great track record, I'm a little unclear as to who those teams might have been.

As far as yielding to Pete's judgement on this matter, I'll do it without hesitation when it involves the defense, but not nearly as quickly when it involves the offense. But apparently he knew who it was he wanted, so we'll see.

I take is as a why take a chance and wait when you know who you want situation. I don't know if it's a good or bad hire, but at least it's moving forward.

Here's an insight into his Offense and philosophy. The article is a few years old and is about using the TE's, but it talks about a myriad of formations.
This might give some of us hope of at least some creativity that we didn't see in the last few years and a little of what to expect.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georg ... ght-end-u/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:20 am

NorthHawk wrote:I take is as a why take a chance and wait when you know who you want situation. I don't know if it's a good or bad hire, but at least it's moving forward.

Here's an insight into his Offense and philosophy. The article is a few years old and is about using the TE's, but it talks about a myriad of formations.
This might give some of us hope of at least some creativity that we didn't see in the last few years and a little of what to expect.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georg ... ght-end-u/

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it.

The article discusses one part of the OC equation, ie scheming and play design. The other part is identification of talent to fit the system, which IMO is where our previous OC/OL coach failed miserably. Hopefully Schott has been around the game long enough, including some exposure to SEC football, that he's developed a good eye for talent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 pm

If Schottenheimer is focused on TEs, this means they will likely make a real run at keeping Jimmy.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:If Schottenheimer is focused on TEs, this means they will likely make a real run at keeping Jimmy.

You would think, but the numbers might not work with the other considerations.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Jimmy will be required to block, which still may count him out, think of Gates and Kellen Winslow and biggest examples, remember it's run game still but screens and passing and check downs as well, you need a TE to seal and release into the pattern. If Jimmy would embrace that he could have one of the biggest seasons of his career in both yards receptions and Touchdowns.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Maybe Pete just wanted someone on the coaching staff to be older than him so he could feel younger... :b
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:20 am

idhawkman wrote:Maybe Pete just wanted someone on the coaching staff to be older than him so he could feel younger... :b

This is Marty's son Brian, he's only 44.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:06 am

I had an interesting conversation with a friend, a passionate Seahawk fan that used to post with us a lot, that has a little different take on our recent hiring's that I think deserves some thought.
He's pretty disappointed, says that Pete is surrounding himself with yes men that think like he does, that his advancing age is causing him to seek a certain comfort zone where there is little if any disagreement with anything he says. Rather than injecting some badly needed new blood and new ideas into a team that still has a decent core and a once in a generation talent at QB, it's the SOS with different faces. He thinks that Carroll is coasting into retirement and will be gone in two years, not having come close to duplicating his previous efforts that brought home two of our three SB appearances and our only Lombardi.

Not exactly something you'd hear coming out of the mouths of the standard Kool-Aid servers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:42 am

RiverDog wrote:I had an interesting conversation with a friend, a passionate Seahawk fan that used to post with us a lot, that has a little different take on our recent hiring's that I think deserves some thought.
He's pretty disappointed, says that Pete is surrounding himself with yes men that think like he does, that his advancing age is causing him to seek a certain comfort zone where there is little if any disagreement with anything he says. Rather than injecting some badly needed new blood and new ideas into a team that still has a decent core and a once in a generation talent at QB, it's the SOS with different faces. He thinks that Carroll is coasting into retirement and will be gone in two years, not having come close to duplicating his previous efforts that brought home two of our three SB appearances and our only Lombardi.

Not exactly something you'd hear coming out of the mouths of the standard Kool-Aid servers.

I can see his point, but I think the counter is Pete doesn't want to be butting heads philosophically for the length of the OC's time here.
There are other things to do on this team and trying to rein in the OC shouldn't be one of them. Getting a gear that doesn't mesh probably won't help performance.
That being said, I'd like Pete to be less hands on with the Offense, so a more aggressive OC would work.
Unfortunately, I doubt they would draft or sign players to that type of OC's wishes, but will to Pete's philosophy.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 am

RiverDog wrote:I had an interesting conversation with a friend, a passionate Seahawk fan that used to post with us a lot, that has a little different take on our recent hiring's that I think deserves some thought.

I don't really see this. I think he believes so strongly in his overall philosophy that he wants guys who are like-minded, not because he doesn't like controversy but because he believes it works. Why hire a guy who runs an offense that you philosophically don't agree with. it doesn't make any sense.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 am

Hey....Give the guy a Schott..... :lol:
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 am

I don't really see this. I think he believes so strongly in his overall philosophy that he wants guys who are like-minded, not because he doesn't like controversy but because he believes it works. Why hire a guy who runs an offense that you philosophically don't agree with. it doesn't make any sense.

Not to mention every time something didn't work, he would be thinking he should have done it differently and more in keeping with his picture of what an Offense should be.
I don't think a coach can be successful if he doesn't trust one of his coordinators.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Its an interesting take RD and I was thinking the same thing. Carroll was dragged kicking and screaming into changing coaches IMO and hes trying to keep the status quo in his comfort zone philosophically.
If they were in such a hurry to hire Schottenheimer etc why did it take the better part of a week and a half to fire these guys to begin with?
I hope it's all good.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Seahawks are super tight lipped, we have seen this for years.

Those guys were probably let go on the Monday following the last game. There still is no official announcement of any hirings. 6 days after the "firings".

All rumor and speculation so far. Of course contracts could already be signed.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Did your friend say what coaches aren't surrounded by "yes" men? I've never heard of anyone arguing with Belichick or Tom Coughlin or many head coaches. A head coach hires coaches that support his philosophy and execute his plans without much questioning. Pete has a very clear philosophy he wants to maintain and that is what he's trying to do. In fact, it's a complete falsehood that good leaders surround themselves with people that question them. I've read a bunch on leadership and leaders usually find people that do what they tell them without much resistance. The thing that sets them apart is the competence of the leader rather than the ability of his subordinates to question him. I'm not too sure why your friend thinks Pete is coasting into retirement. There is only one Belichick. If your friend is comparing Pete to Belichick, then he is expecting Pete to equal the best coach in history. That's not likely to happen. As it is Pete is one of the best coaches of the last decade, that's not too bad a place. If he can infuse enough new blood to slightly alter his original scheme, then we'll do well. Mainly we need to get healthy and rebuild the run game while implementing a different plan on the O-line. Not everything is wrong with this team, not even close.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Re: Schottenheimer hired as OC

Postby chris98251 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 pm

I see this as Pete going to guys he knows and trusts that have been successful, Schott with his dad and his record with QB's and running game, everyone else a tie from the past that he trusts and will have his back, think of it as an all star coaching push for Pete.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:06 pm

chris98251 wrote:I see this as Pete going to guys he knows and trusts that have been successful, Schott with his dad and his record with QB's and running game, everyone else a tie from the past that he trusts and will have his back, think of it as an all star coaching push for Pete.

I wouldn't go into Kansas City trumpeting Marty Shchottenheimer's coaching record. You'd get more disgusting looks that you would if Rosie O'Donnell appeared in a string bikini. You can make as many excuses as you want, crap teams he's had to work with and so on, but the fact is that Brian Schottenheimer does not have a lot of feathers in his cap.

And ASF, I'd have to do some research into coaching hires before I could agree or disagree with your assertation that most coaches do the same thing Pete has done, ie always hire within a narrow school of thought that aligns almost perfectly with his overall strategy, but my sense is that there have been head coaches that have not been as insistent on towing the HC's general philosophy and have strayed away from it.

Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with this take, especially the part about Pete coasting into retirement. He's made enough money to where if he didn't have his heart in it, he could easily punch out and sell books or appear as a sports analyst. But the rest of it, sticking with his yes men, is something to think about. If the next couple of seasons turn out to be carbon copies of the past few, you can bet that people will be re-visiting these hires. He's not going to be able to throw these guys under the bus as he's done with Bevell, Cable, and Richard.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:37 pm

He’s hardly throwing anyone under the bus RD. Bevell should have been gone Feb 3 2015. Cable probably a year ago at least. The ravens fired their OC in 2012 during a lombardi winning season. Mike Mularkey got fired after going to the divisional. It’s a new league all of a sudden. I hope for the best but the hires look like same old system. Hopefully not.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Hawktawk wrote:He’s hardly throwing anyone under the bus RD. Bevell should have been gone Feb 3 2015. Cable probably a year ago at least. The ravens fired their OC in 2012 during a lombardi winning season. Mike Mularkey got fired after going to the divisional. It’s a new league all of a sudden. I hope for the best but the hires look like same old system. Hopefully not.

He's firing one set of coaches and exchanging them for a very like minded second set. That would indicate that Pete doesn't see anything wrong with his run first offensive philosophy, that he feels that it was the execution of that philosophy that has led us off course. That suggests to me that he's attributing the team's woes solely to the performance of the assistant coaches, ie throwing them under the bus.

And there's a good chance that Pete's right, that his run first philosophy is still as effective as it's always been and that Bevell and Cable were underperforming and holding our team back, in which case one could expect this team to start realizing expectations again.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Always run first. If you have a 3rd down throw or play action pass to your TE.

Go Hawks
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:41 am

RiverDog wrote:I wouldn't go into Kansas City trumpeting Marty Shchottenheimer's coaching record. You'd get more disgusting looks that you would if Rosie O'Donnell appeared in a string bikini. You can make as many excuses as you want, crap teams he's had to work with and so on, but the fact is that Brian Schottenheimer does not have a lot of feathers in his cap.

And ASF, I'd have to do some research into coaching hires before I could agree or disagree with your assertation that most coaches do the same thing Pete has done, ie always hire within a narrow school of thought that aligns almost perfectly with his overall strategy, but my sense is that there have been head coaches that have not been as insistent on towing the HC's general philosophy and have strayed away from it.

Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with this take, especially the part about Pete coasting into retirement. He's made enough money to where if he didn't have his heart in it, he could easily punch out and sell books or appear as a sports analyst. But the rest of it, sticking with his yes men, is something to think about. If the next couple of seasons turn out to be carbon copies of the past few, you can bet that people will be re-visiting these hires. He's not going to be able to throw these guys under the bus as he's done with Bevell, Cable, and Richard.

Throwing his coaches under the bus? How much rope do you give them? He gave Cable five years plus to build a high functioning O-line. He kept Bevell around equally long. Richard he gave a shot and the defense regressed. Richard was on a shorter rope than his other coaches likely because he can assess defense better than offense. This isn't what I would call throwing coaches under the bus, not sure why you would interpret it that way. I think he was admirable for sticking by Bevell after his egregiously bad Super Bowl call. He stuck by Cable as his run game fell into the toilet after Marshawn lost it. He more than gave those guys a chance.

You like to word things in a way that doesn't mirror the truth sometimes RD. Bevell and Cable hung themselves by failing at their jobs, Cable more than Bevell. That in essence means failing to make Pete's offensive vision succeed. He's giving new guys a shot. If you failed at your job when a guy hired you to manage a certain part of the place you worked, would you tell your boss he was throwing you under the bus when you failed? I guess I could see it since it's hard to accept when you haven't done a good job. If I fail at my job, that's my fault. Pete shouldn't have to do Bevell and Cable's job for them. He hired them to do a job.

I seriously wonder how happy you'll be if we get a schleb of a coach or even another Holmgren where we don't have playoffs every year and we fail quite often. You literally have one coach named Belichick (Maybe Coughlin with two Super Bowl wins, but fewer playoff years) that has done better than Pete Carroll in the past decade, one coach. Who do you want if our current coach is basically the second best coach of the past decade? I'm not sure what kind of results your looking for, but I guarantee you will be crying much worse when Pete is gone unless we get very, very, very lucky with a new coach. Not sure why you want change. I'd live with Pete for the next ten years than look forward to possibly ending up as a soso team with much Super Bowl hope again.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum