The RIP thread

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: The RIP thread

Postby Largent80 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Dang, this year sucks.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Love Steely Dan. RIP, indeed.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Feez » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:11 am

no to seem uncaring about the people who have been posted but thank god when I first saw this I thought it would have the names/handles of members who passed on.
Feez
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:15 pm

RIP Tom Petty. I really enjoyed his music and play some in my band. Sad day.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty- ... ead-at-66/
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Largent80 wrote:RIP Tom Petty. I really enjoyed his music and play some in my band. Sad day.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty- ... ead-at-66/

Damn.

I'd read that he'd been rushed to the hospital under full cardiac arrest but I hoped he'd pull through ...

RIP Tom.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:56 pm

This is devastating for me, as he was one of my favorite artists and his music was part of my rock climbing trips (I wont back down, Free Fallin) to mention a couple. My band covers a few of his tunes. CRAP. Ima not doin good.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Damn. Another artist from my youth. RIP Tom Petty. Enjoyed your music while growing up.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:47 am

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:09 am

RIP Malcolm Young; Co-founder and creative force behind ACDC. WE SALUTE YOU RIPPER!!!

Edit; Yeah, TP hit me pretty hard too. Him and his band the Heartbreakers made it big right as I came of age, I don't know how I would have got through high school without their songs, they really sang what we were feeling. I will NEVER forget the first time I heard Refuge' on the radio. I remember saying WHO IS that?? MAN! That was a GREAT SONG. I ran right out and bought Damn the Torpedoes, then I discovered their first LP.

Memories, memories, memories Thanx Tom, btw, I STILL can't find that cherry I lost...
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 am

RIP David Cassidy from the Partridge family. I remember watching a few of their shows back in the early 70's.

RIP Della Reece - she went a day or two ago.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:58 am

Charles Manson, dead at 83. And to think that us taxpayers gave that POS free room and board for nearly 50 years.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:33 am

RiverDog wrote:Charles Manson, dead at 83. And to think that us taxpayers gave that POS free room and board for nearly 50 years.

What's worse is one of the women of that group is now free and the other two are being considered for release. UNTHINKABLE!
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:57 pm

idhawkman wrote:What's worse is one of the women of that group is now free and the other two are being considered for release. UNTHINKABLE!

I guess I'm a little more forgiving when it comes to a couple of Manson's women, ie Van Houten and Krenwinkel. Not that it's an excuse, but they were very young when the crimes were committed and very heavily drugged at the time. Manson controlled their lives, had them brain washed. They've paid a huge price, more than most any other murderer imprisoned for life, and have been incarcerated for nearly half a century, almost their entire adult lives. Both in their late 60's, I have a very hard time believing that they're any kind of a threat to society.

Charlie should have been taken out of the gene pool decades ago. The man was the embodiment of evil.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Dick Enberg. When I was a kid, I would take the bus down to Anaheim Stadium to watch the Angels. I never missed a single Nolan Ryan start and in fact watched all of his home no hitters and several near misses at back to back no hitters.

On one occasion, I was waiting in the parking lot for player autographs and I saw Dick, and asked him. He said, why dont you get the players and I told him, because when I can't be here, YOU make it seem like I am, he thanked me and I will never forget that, or him. One of a kind and I'll miss him.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:30 pm

RIP Dick, you were as good as it gets.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Nice call out, L80. Dick Enberg called a great game and was a class act to boot. He rightfully should take his place besides America's finest broadcasters.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 am

2017 was devastating for celebrity deaths........http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... un-9540486
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:31 am

RIP Sunday Night Football on New Year's Eve this year. Network tells NFL, not enough interest. LOL
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:11 am

RIP Rose Marie aka Sally Rogers of the Dick Van Dyke show. She was 94 years old.

I used to watch that show when I was very young in grade school.
Last edited by idhawkman on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:39 am

idhawkman wrote:RIP Rose Mary aka Sally Rogers of the Dick Van Dyke show. She was 94 years old.

I used to watch that show when I was very young in grade school.

Yes, I saw that, and it's Rose "Marie", not Mary.

Rose Marie and Morey Amsterdam, a.k.a. "Buddy", were a fantastic comedy team. I used to laugh my guts out at some of those episodes.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I fixed the spelling error. (I am going to lie and tell you its because I couldn't spell very well in grade school when I watched the show but I think you would see right through that...) :b
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:28 pm

I stumbled upon this slide show that covers 2017 deaths in the sporting world (including our own Tez). It's lengthy but to some of us older farts, it's libel to shake off some cob webs:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... p#image=60
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:17 am

Keith Jackson, called so many memorable games.....RIP

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/392515/ke ... call-dies/
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:34 am

Good call. A former Coug, the lead announcer for the first ever MNF broadcast team. But college football is what he'll be best remembered for. "Whoa, Nellie"!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:00 am

Petty's autopsy report just came in.

Interesting

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Famil ... ipid=hpctp
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:57 am

Yea, and the family is trying to downplay it, make it sound as it was truly accidental. Petty was a known heroin addict, so a person has to wonder how or why he messed up his meds.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:48 pm

He had a great life and gave us so much, let the guy go in peace and quit looking to drag him thru the mud for your own agenda.

Guy was performing with a broken hip, emphysema and some other issues. He was trying to quell pain and over did it.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:57 pm

chris98251 wrote:He had a great life and gave us so much, let the guy go in peace and quit looking to drag him thru the mud for your own agenda.

Guy was performing with a broken hip, emphysema and some other issues. He was trying to quell pain and over did it.

My own agenda? Just what agenda do you think it is that I'm trying to promote?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:12 pm

My own agenda? Just what agenda do you think it is that I'm trying to promote?

Your smearing his family and the man in one sentence.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:07 am

Lot's of people were and are heroin addicts. It's a sad place to be, take a look at all the Seattle music deaths over it. Tom was not a heroin addict when he died. That's bullshit.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:28 pm

chris98251 wrote:Your smearing his family and the man in one sentence.

By doing what? Taking note that he was a heroin addict? Is that a false statement?

Here's the part I find suspicious:

On January 19, 2018, the medical examiner-coroner for the county of Los Angeles announced that Tom Petty died from an accidental drug overdose as a result of mixing medications that included fentanyl, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl (among others). He was reportedly treating "many serious ailments" that included a broken hip.

It sounds to me like the overdose would be better classified as ignorance (either his or his doctors) rather than some random accident he had no control over.

Nevertheless, I do want to express my condolences. It really doesn't matter how he died. A life is a life.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Largent80 wrote:Lot's of people were and are heroin addicts. It's a sad place to be, take a look at all the Seattle music deaths over it. Tom was not a heroin addict when he died. That's bullshit.

I never once said that Petty was a herion addict when he died. You're putting words into my mouth.

Before going any further with your accusations about me dragging Petty through the mud, I would like you to read the following article which summaries why I think there's more to this story than a simple accidental overdose:

https://www.statnews.com/2018/01/23/tom ... -overdose/

Depression is commonly associated with pain. Petty was open about his battles with severe depression. Moderate to severe pain can not only impair function, it can also worsen the sequelae of depression, such as lower quality of life. Antidepressants and benzodiazepines can ease that. So can opioids.

To further complicate matters, Petty had a long history of substance use. While that doesn’t rule out the use of opioids to control pain, they must be prescribed and monitored with caution. A complete history and physical must be performed, including a mental exam and a careful review of all medications. Petty was taking various medications with highly sedating and addictive properties. By itself, fentanyl can significantly increase the risk for respiratory arrest. The combination of multiple opioids and benzodiazepines can also be lethal.

Petty was receiving multiple medications that potentiated his risk of overdosing. This dangerous concoction probably didn’t come from a single doctor but from multiple providers.

Anyway, there's a lot more in that article that goes into great detail as to how Petty's substance abuse and other issues in his past might have contributed to his untimely death. I am not trying to denigrate the man, I'm simply saying that there's a lot more to his death than what appears on the surface.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:18 pm

So what. You said he was a heroin addict. Check out your own post. It wasn't ME that called you out it was Chris. So get your meds right.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:54 am

Largent80 wrote:So what. You said he was a heroin addict. Check out your own post. It wasn't ME that called you out it was Chris. So get your meds right.

What I said was this: Petty was a known heroin addict, so a person has to wonder how or why he messed up his meds.

That statement is absolutely correct, and what you (not Chris) said in reply, ie that he wasn't a heroin addict when he died, was something that you added that I never said anything about. Petty WAS (past tense) a heroin addict, back in the 90's.

Now rather than cherry picking certain phrases out of my comments and trying to start a fight about them, go back and read the article I linked and you might have a chance of understanding the point I'm trying to make.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Billy Graham died after an incredible 99 years.

I'm not a deeply religious man, but the Reverend Graham was a class act, different than other elevangelists of the day (Jimmy Swigert, Jim and Tammy Baker, Oral Roberts).

R.I.P.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 pm

RiverDog wrote:Billy Graham died after an incredible 99 years.

I'm not a deeply religious man, but the Reverend Graham was a class act, different than other elevangelists of the day (Jimmy Swigert, Jim and Tammy Baker, Oral Roberts).

R.I.P.

He helped a lot of people. Very inspiring man that was very consistent in his belief and character. I know he helped Ernie Zamperini after his ordeal documented in the book Unbroken. Definitely a man from a different America. I'm not religious, but he was one of the few religious leaders I respected.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Billy Graham was a CON Artist who was very good at his job reading many of the posts from those that admit that they are not very "religious". Those who said that he was NOT of the stripe like Jim & Tammy Baker, Jimmy Swaggert, and a multitude of others. He was not of their stripe because his con was just that much better.

I read where his message was "consistent". How do you know if he was consistent or not? Do a little research (I know, I know it is hard and time consuming and besides HISTORY is NO FUN, that is why no one in here bothered to read the Federalist Papers although they are all a very easy down load) and then come back and repeat that statement. Now, you can always say "well, he always admitted he was a sinner" so, of course there are stories out there that shine light on some of Billy's UNGODLY beliefs and practices. Fair enough, but, if he CONTINUES those beliefs and practices and does not REPENT and change his behavior then he is worse than your usual run of the mill sinner. No, someone with the stature of Billy much more is required. Billy put himself out there as a SHEPARD for Christ, to lead his flock to Christ, but, when a shepard leads Christ's flock astray he know longer is a servant to Christ but a servant of Satan.

Billy Graham's soul I am quite sure is burning in Hell and will be burning for an eternity.

You see, Billy set himself up a KINGDOM for himself here on EARTH because deep down in his heart he didn't really BELIEVE in Jesus Christ and that Christ was his savior. Like any other hereditary KING Billy passed the crown of his kingdom to his son, Billy Franklin Graham Junior.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Billy Graham was a CON Artist who was very good at his job reading many of the posts from those that admit that they are not very "religious". Those who said that he was NOT of the stripe like Jim & Tammy Baker, Jimmy Swaggert, and a multitude of others. He was not of their stripe because his con was just that much better.

I read where his message was "consistent". How do you know if he was consistent or not? Do a little research (I know, I know it is hard and time consuming and besides HISTORY is NO FUN, that is why no one in here bothered to read the Federalist Papers although they are all a very easy down load) and then come back and repeat that statement. Now, you can always say "well, he always admitted he was a sinner" so, of course there are stories out there that shine light on some of Billy's UNGODLY beliefs and practices. Fair enough, but, if he CONTINUES those beliefs and practices and does not REPENT and change his behavior then he is worse than your usual run of the mill sinner. No, someone with the stature of Billy much more is required. Billy put himself out there as a SHEPARD for Christ, to lead his flock to Christ, but, when a shepard leads Christ's flock astray he know longer is a servant to Christ but a servant of Satan.

Billy Graham's soul I am quite sure is burning in Hell and will be burning for an eternity.

You see, Billy set himself up a KINGDOM for himself here on EARTH because deep down in his heart he didn't really BELIEVE in Jesus Christ and that Christ was his savior. Like any other hereditary KING Billy passed the crown of his kingdom to his son, Billy Franklin Graham Junior.

Off the meds again I see denigrating the dead without evidence and based on your opinion.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Billy Graham was a CON Artist who was very good at his job reading many of the posts from those that admit that they are not very "religious". Those who said that he was NOT of the stripe like Jim & Tammy Baker, Jimmy Swaggert, and a multitude of others. He was not of their stripe because his con was just that much better.

Here's some facts about what Jim Bakker (of Jim and Tammy Bakker and the Praise the Lord channel fame) did that seperates him from Billy Graham:

But Jim (Bakker) had a couple of dirty little secrets. He had paid a former church secretary named Jessica Hahn to keep quiet about a sexual encounter they had in 1980. But when the scandal broke in 1987, questions began to be raised about Bakker's financial dealings.

In 1989, he was sentenced to 45 years in prison for fleecing his flock of $158 million.

And Jimmy Swaggart:

(Jimmy) Swaggart was one of Jim Bakker's fiercest critics when the Bakker scandal broke, telling an interviewer he himself had never even kissed a woman other than his wife.

Maybe not. But the bombastic and fantastically successful television preacher -- and cousin to rock-and-roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis -- was doing something with that prostitute in a cheap New Orleans hotel room in early 1988.

Swaggart's tearful, televised confession kept his $12-million-a-year, 10,000-employee religious empire together -- until he got caught with his pants down again. That's right, Jimmy Swaggart was linked to (brace yourself!) another hooker in 1991.

A couple of lost lawsuits, an IRS tax lien, and that was the end of the line for Jimmy Swaggart.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflif ... res.cheat/

Now show me anything remotely similar between Billy Graham and those two scoundrels that would justify your accusation that Graham was a better con artist.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Bill Graham had way more influence in my life than Billy EVER could.
Largent80
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic