Schottenheimer

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Schottenheimer

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 pm

For the love of God no! This team needs an infusion of fresh innovation, not an NFL legacy retread....
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/13/seahawks-hiring-brian-schottenheimer-as-offensive-coordinator/
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Schottenheimer

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Beat me to it or we tied. Yep my initial reaction is this is boring and dated. We needed to keep up with the future and this is a hire from the past.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm cutting him some slack over the last two franchises he's been with - Indy and Jets - because neither one has been very good for awhile, save for Andrew Luck's first couple of years or whatever.

The Seahawks as is are a better group than what Schott schemed previously.
I mean, at least he has a legit franchise QB to carry out the plan.
RB is KEY. It just is. Again, even with a 'challenged' (ha) OL, a franchise RB can make a world of difference. We don't need Beast 2.0 to be successful, either. But it's gotta be a guy -and rather quickly - that opponents have to game plan for. Play action was in name only in terms of how 2017 went.

We're gonna be better off moving forward.
Balance, mixing up the plays, etc.
I'm willing to bet that even Schott could've taken Darrell's 'play book' and come up with better results.
When you don't keep a defense guessing often enough, it catches up with you.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:16 am

curmudgeon wrote:For the love of God no! This team needs an infusion of fresh innovation, not an NFL legacy retread....
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/13/seahawks-hiring-brian-schottenheimer-as-offensive-coordinator/

Is it ok to at least give the guy a chance before lynching him?

I'm not sure how much innovation is needed to run the ball. Draw up a play, block and run. Pretty simple.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 am

curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am

Have you seen the crap teams he had to try and get something going with?

GIVE THE GUY A CHANCE....Jeezus.

How can a person complain about someone doing their new job before they even start?

From their past?...Not in football, or in real life.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:09 am

Largent80 wrote:Have you seen the crap teams he had to try and get something going with?

There's a dilemma at work here that is best described as which came first, the chicken or the egg? Is Schott's resume so thin because he had crap teams to work with or were the teams crap in part because Shott was himself crap?

I hear your point about giving the guy a chance and I'm willing to do so, but I don't think we can rip any of the others because they aren't rushing to claim their place in the Kool-Aid line. This is a curious hire and they have a legitimate cause to be concerned.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:40 am

LOL I sure get a big Sunday belly laugh at all you coaches and coordinators out there! I am sure you will all get a huge pay check from the Seahwks for a remarkable job.
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:14 am

Everyone is an armchair expert around here.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Well, Schottenheimer has worked with a lot of bad players and had misfortune with injuries. He shouldn't have that problem here with Russell. If he can't make something good happen with Russell, he's definitely not a very good OC.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 pm

It's an obvious choice. We have a run first HC selecting a run first OC.
What would be odd is if he had selected a Mike Martz type of OC. That would be too far outside Pete's comfort zone, i would think.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:24 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It's an obvious choice. We have a run first HC selecting a run first OC.
What would be odd is if he had selected a Mike Martz type of OC. That would be too far outside Pete's comfort zone, i would think.

It might have been an obvious choice had Bevell left on his own accord after we'd won the SB as it would reason that you'd want to stick with the horse that won its last race. But when you consider that the OC was fired for poor performance, hiring another run-first OC as his replacement is quite a bit less obvious as part of the rationale for changing OC's might be that the team needed a change in offensive philosophy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:30 pm

In listening to Carroll, I didn't get the feeling that he thought it was a case of wrong philosophy but rather the coaches not getting the best out of the players or coaching mistakes and that the formula still works.
He's not going to change his philosophy or allow another on his team that he's not comfortable with.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:47 pm

NorthHawk wrote:In listening to Carroll, I didn't get the feeling that he thought it was a case of wrong philosophy but rather the coaches not getting the best out of the players or coaching mistakes and that the formula still works.
He's not going to change his philosophy or allow another on his team that he's not comfortable with.

I agree. I wouldn't want him to either, it's his system, properly implemented with the right personnel, that got us our only championship.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Certainly Pete has earned the benefit of the doubt from us fans, and I'll support him as much as I can. My point was that there's a difference between replacing an OC that left on his own accord and for a greener pasture as a result of the success of the team and one that is fired because the team was not living up to expectations as was the case with Darrell Bevell. Hopefully Pete has taken a long look in the mirror and asked himself if his base philosophy of a run first offense is still valid or if he needs to modify it due to the changing circumstances.

So we'll see. At least it's a change.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:34 am

The official announcement hasn't even been made yet, but this team is so tight lipped. With that being the case, if nothing is mentioned this week, the Hawks are looking at a team still in the playoffs for their OC.

I'm going to point out that the quarterbacks he had to work with were essentially Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez and whoever was the backup to an injured Sam Bradford. Are you going to make a salad with wilted lettuce?

Also, he is also fresh off a stint working with Jacoby Brissett in Indianapolis. Considering they traded for him as the season was about to begin, a 3,098 yard effort with 13 touchdowns and seven picks was respectable. It was a bad year for the Colts but nobody was pointing the finger at Brissett.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 am

I think with different looks and motion, we might have a chance for the OL to get a little advantage on opposing Defenses in the early part of the year.
That could help with confidence within the Offense. I hope he has a good look at the New Orleans Offense and tries to incorporate some of the concepts they use with their RB's and blocking schemes.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:14 am

Well. since Pete Carroll is from the Marty Shottenheimer coaching tree this move makes perfect sense, for Pete. I say we give B.S. a chance because we are All In with P.C...

edit; At least it wasn't Sark.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 am

If is offense is similar to the Saints and features the TE. Maybe Hawks are thinking about keeping Graham. Schotts offense might fit him better.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am

I’m ambivalent. The dude grew up in the nfl. He’s got the genes. His dad might be the best coach never to reach the Super Bowl. Who knows. Maybe he’s going to blossom. One can hope
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I’m ambivalent. The dude grew up in the nfl. He’s got the genes. His dad might be the best coach never to reach the Super Bowl. Who knows. Maybe he’s going to blossom. One can hope

Yea, that's kinda where I'm at. I'm not spinning cartwheels but I'm commiting to give him a chance. The last thing the guy needs in starting out in his new job is a bunch of pessimism over his hire.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Change the scheme to ZBS power, we used it with Reece and had great success, why it wasn't never continued is perplexing, Austin Davis also said Bevell never ran RB screens or check down routes, and that Schotty will implement those as well, these are things so many of us have called Bevell out on. Our RB's may not be as bad as they look if they can run with their god given ability and not depend on the O lineman getting to a gap and sealing it and having to wait so much. I think the philosophy will be the same, implementation however different as to how it is applied.

Also with Davis as the back up and I think he will be he knows the offense already and can help get Wilson up to speed as well as another good guy to look at film with concerning it since he played for Schotty in St. louis.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 am

I got to say something. Shots is going to be worlds better than Bevfool can ever dream of being.

Reading this thread I have no doubt we will be together playing as a team. The sky is the limit.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum