Richard Sherman will stay

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Richard Sherman will stay

Postby politicalfootball » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 am

Richard Sherman will be back and if he does get traded we will have a 1st round pick and a good player if it happens he is still the best CB out there.

We Are going to keep him and get another great CB to play along side of him. Something he has not had ever. Never fear it will happen.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Re: Richard Sherman will stay

Postby politicalfootball » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:26 am

At least I hope Sherman will be back
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Gotta believe Sherm is one of the guys most happy about Bevell and Cable being gone. We all know how he felt after the Super Bowl loss, the fact that him, Earl, and Kam probably should not have even suited up for that game they were so injured and then that happened at the end. In fact, I think the whole defense got what it wanted with those firings. And to boot, they get a familiar face back as their DC.

He should be back, he better be back. No matter what he has done the last few years with his antics, I have always supported him. He gets crazy sometimes, but this defense is better with him than without. He is a leader, and still a premier force at CB. Have always loved me some RS25.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 pm

If he is able to get healthy it's time to trade him, he may have a good year or two in him but we have to start looking at getting cap friendly again and promoting younger guys, Earl being in the same situation. Not a popular decision but necessary if were going to continue to be competitive and not become a old team with guys that used to be good.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:52 pm

chris98251 wrote:If he is able to get healthy it's time to trade him, he may have a good year or two in him but we have to start looking at getting cap friendly again and promoting younger guys, Earl being in the same situation. Not a popular decision but necessary if were going to continue to be competitive and not become a old team with guys that used to be good.

I want Sherman gone. Time to move on.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:49 am

obiken wrote:I want Sherman gone. Time to move on.

We'll have to see how he does when he comes back from his injury.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:25 am

I would love to see the guy make a nice come back and have a great season.

He is going to use this injury as a fresh start.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 am

A veteran player coming off a significant injury and having a large contract with only 1 year remaining is almost as untradeable as it can get.
The return would be almost nil until he proves he is completely healthy and worth any trade value, so part way through the year.
Since it's his last year on this contract, trading him would have to happen before the trade deadline so we would have absorbed a lot of his salary to that point.
Is it possible to do? Sure, but don't expect a 1st round pick in return as a team could wait until he's a FA if they are looking at future years with him.
Short term "Rental" is possible to a playoff bound team needing a CB, but again not much draft capital in return.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 am

NorthHawk wrote:A veteran player coming off a significant injury and having a large contract with only 1 year remaining is almost as untradeable as it can get.
The return would be almost nil until he proves he is completely healthy and worth any trade value, so part way through the year.
Since it's his last year on this contract, trading him would have to happen before the trade deadline so we would have absorbed a lot of his salary to that point.
Is it possible to do? Sure, but don't expect a 1st round pick in return as a team could wait until he's a FA if they are looking at future years with him.
Short term "Rental" is possible to a playoff bound team needing a CB, but again not much draft capital in return.

yeah, there is no way we would get anything of significance in return for Sherm. A trade would only be to recoup something (late round pick with potential to move up to 3rd round or something) as we are getting rid of him to free up salary cap space. Cutting/trading him would free up 11 mil in cap space. Thats alot of money that can be used to bolster our OL or DL, two big areas of need. I'm not saying that we are definitely going to get rid of him but if we do it won't be to get some high draft pick. That 11 mil has to look pretty tempting to PC and JS, especially knowing that they really like Griffin. If they feel that a guy like Maxwell or another cheap FA corner can come in and play decently Sherm may become expendable, especially when considering the amount of money he is going to count against the cap and how much he will want in his next contract.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 pm

A lot of weird stuff with players this year, whether they are signed or not. JS has a tough job and I'll bet he stayed on because this challenge may be larger than the mess he inherited.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:16 pm

We'll have to see how he does when he comes back from his injury.

I agree River, but very few come back from a torn Achilles. Dominique Wilkins, had to change his game, his lateral movement was shot. Wesley Mathews is still a good player but not what he was. No doubt they are BB players and not FB players, but I see him getting massacred on slant routes. I do not hate Sherm, he has been a hellava a player for us, but I think he is done. Hope I am wrong.
obiken
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm

chris98251 wrote:If he is able to get healthy it's time to trade him, he may have a good year or two in him but we have to start looking at getting cap friendly again and promoting younger guys, Earl being in the same situation. Not a popular decision but necessary if were going to continue to be competitive and not become a old team with guys that used to be good.

I'm wondering if you would use that same logic on RW? E.g. if we could get rid of his cap hit we could hire one of the best Olines in the business and then draft a contract friendly QB in the draft, right? (sorry, but I couldn't resist this one)
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:04 pm

I'd bet that the comp pick the Hawks would get for letting Sherman walk would be higher than anything that they could get in a trade. I'd love to see him come back strong and get signed to a short term deal (which I think is more likely now that Bevell is gone), but if he walked some team would shell out big bucks giving the Hawks a 3rd round comp in the process.
Oly
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:05 pm

NorthHawk wrote:A veteran player coming off a significant injury and having a large contract with only 1 year remaining is almost as untradeable as it can get.

You can't look at the way you are looking at this.

1. Someone will take a shot on Sherman based on his being a shut down corner for so long. (Browns, Bengels, Dolphins, etc)

2. Teams will definitely want to make an offer for Sherman and not let him go to FA because they are not assured of getting him in an open market. At least if they make an offer for him, they can negotiate with him as they are signing him. Would be good for Sherman too since he's not sure how he will come out of the injury either. Playing out his contract and showing the league that he's lost a step could hit him financially much harder in the end. Also, think if the Patriots wanted to sign him to a long term contract if they got him this coming year, too. I think both sides might go for something like that.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 pm

I'm wondering if you would use that same logic on RW? E.g. if we could get rid of his cap hit we could hire one of the best Olines in the business and then draft a contract friendly QB in the draft, right? (sorry, but I couldn't resist this one)
Of course you realize Franchise QB's are in a different category than anyone else.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:19 pm

Sherm and Earl are the cornerstone of the secondary. I don't let either one walk unless they ask for outrageous money. Teams been drafting way higher than us for years and not found many players as consistently excellent as Sherm and Earl at their positions.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:48 am

obiken wrote:I agree River, but very few come back from a torn Achilles. Dominique Wilkins, had to change his game, his lateral movement was shot. Wesley Mathews is still a good player but not what he was. No doubt they are BB players and not FB players, but I see him getting massacred on slant routes. I do not hate Sherm, he has been a hellava a player for us, but I think he is done. Hope I am wrong.

Dominique Wilkins? That was 25 years ago. If Achilles tendon repair is anything like other medical procedures, a lot has changed since then.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:28 am

You can't look at the way you are looking at this.

1. Someone will take a shot on Sherman based on his being a shut down corner for so long. (Browns, Bengels, Dolphins, etc)

2. Teams will definitely want to make an offer for Sherman and not let him go to FA because they are not assured of getting him in an open market. At least if they make an offer for him, they can negotiate with him as they are signing him. Would be good for Sherman too since he's not sure how he will come out of the injury either. Playing out his contract and showing the league that he's lost a step could hit him financially much harder in the end. Also, think if the Patriots wanted to sign him to a long term contract if they got him this coming year, too. I think both sides might go for something like that.

Nobody took a serious shot last year when he was thought to be healthy and they would have got 2 years out of him so I would think his value would be even less now there is doubt about his return and possible lingering effects.
I don't see anything near a top pick - maybe a 5th at most if we are lucky and that might be conditional.
Who knows? Maybe you're right and we will score a much higher pick if he's traded.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:22 pm

With this type of injury Sherman will not be full speed until the end of the 2018 season . . . if then even.
trents
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Players have indeed come back and performed at or even above their previous level (Tyrell Suggs comes immediately to mind) but for every Suggs there's a Arian Foster, or Cruz. It can be done, but it'll depend on how Sherman's body recovers, and reacts to the surgery.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Players have indeed come back and performed at or even above their previous level (Tyrell Suggs comes immediately to mind) but for every Suggs there's a Arian Foster, or Cruz. It can be done, but it'll depend on how Sherman's body recovers, and reacts to the surgery.

That's kind of where I get the feeling he's almost untradeable at this point - or at least until part way through the season if he shows he's back to his old form.
There's just too much doubt for a team to give up a player or pick and take on his contract while not knowing what they are getting in return.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am

NorthHawk wrote:That's kind of where I get the feeling he's almost untradeable at this point - or at least until part way through the season if he shows he's back to his old form.
There's just too much doubt for a team to give up a player or pick and take on his contract while not knowing what they are getting in return.

Yeah, there is no way you would get for him anything to make it worth it in terms of draft picks. The only way you would trade him would be because you were going to cut him anyway for the cap savings. Even with that there aren't many teams willing to pay $11 mil for a corner that may or may not be healthy enough to be worth it. Either way the Hawks have to prepare for him not to be the starting LCB for them next season (either because he isn't the same player physically or because they traded/cut him).
mykc14
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:06 am

obiken wrote: Of course you realize Franchise QB's are in a different category than anyone else.

Yes, I do. Sometimes you have to point out the absurd by being absurd.
idhawkman
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum