OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby mykc14 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Wow.. The NFL's highest paid player is Jimmy G. He signed a 5 year 137 million dollar deal. Crazy. His deal comes out to almost 28 mil/year, blowing open the QB market. When RW gets his next contract he almost certainly will be more than 30 mil/year.

This seems a bit crazy to me. The guy has 7 career starts, granted he has played well, but that is a lot of money. When you look up the highest paid players by contract average RW's doesn't seem too bad as he averaged 21.9 mil/year. The contracts really jumped up in the last two years. For a long time (3 or so years) nobody would top Aaron Rodger's 22 mil/year. Now Joe Flacco (22.5), Alex Smith (23.5), Andrew Luck (24 mil), Derek Carr (25 mil), Matthew Stafford (27 mil), and Jimmy G (27.5) all have completely crushed that number. Everybody is clamoring to become the highest paid player and Team's with a lot of cap space are backing up the Brink's truck. There is little doubt Cousins will be up there (probably surpassing Jimmy G) and Matt Ryan is due for an extension. By the start of next season RW might not even be in the top 10 paid QB's in the league.

Aaron Rodgers still needs another extension as well. By the time RW gets resigned it might be closer to 35 mil/year...
mykc14
Legacy

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Russell wound up cutting his negotiations off at the knee this last time around because he wanted to get out there and play, I don't expect much different this time. He'll always be well compensated but I don't ever expect him to be the "highest payed player in the league".
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Hopefully this continues the 49ers descent into stupidity. Paying a guy after half a year seems stupid.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:04 pm

N.E. was going to Franchise Tag him just to keep around, then Brady went crying to Kraft and the next thing you know JG is offered up to Frisco for less than his value...

No, RW will have a salary cap friendly contract.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:55 pm

That remains to be seen, but like the OP said there are a lot of contracts to go before Russell's is up.
After no OL to protect him and being injured a couple of times he may think it better to get as much as he can.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:15 pm

When I first read the thread title, I thought that the Niners had signed Jimmy Graham.

This is just an insane deal and has blown the lid off all salary negotiations. Just think the kind of money Kirk Cousins, someone that's actually proven himself, will demand.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:48 am

It's a business.
You're worth whatever your agent can get you.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:04 am

These kinds of contracts kill teams ability to field competitive teams and RW is surely going to want more come the next contract.

Also, the fans help pay for it with rising costs across the board.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 am

Largent80 wrote:These kinds of contracts kill teams ability to field competitive teams and RW is surely going to want more come the next contract.

There was a thought a few years ago that suggested the QB's be exempt from the Cap (maybe a % of their salary exempt) or have a separate category for QB's with less restrictive rules.
I can see there being a push for that again if teams suffer too much because of the cost of a franchise QB.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:01 am

Largent80 wrote:These kinds of contracts kill teams ability to field competitive teams and RW is surely going to want more come the next contract.

Individual salaries aren't going to cause prices to rise. Due to the salary cap, a team can only spend X amount of money on player's salaries so all Jimmy G's salary is going to do is take away from the ability of the Niners to sign other players. Each team has the same size pie, and that's determined by overall revenue.

But you're exactly right about your first sentence. The Niners are fools to waste this much money on a virtually unproven quarterback.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:39 am

NorthHawk wrote:There was a thought a few years ago that suggested the QB's be exempt from the Cap (maybe a % of their salary exempt) or have a separate category for QB's with less restrictive rules.
I can see there being a push for that again if teams suffer too much because of the cost of a franchise QB.

In other words, teams are looking for a way to save them from themselves. Teams are going to have to do a better job of balancing their payrolls and players are going to have to start curbing their greed if they want to have a better chance of succeeding on the field.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:06 am

I don't remember if it was a team that suggested it or if it was a sports writer suggesting ways to mitigate the huge salary demands from franchise QB's.
It is a huge number for an unproven QB, much like us paying Flynn except Garoppolo has won 5 games for the 49ers. He might be the real deal, though.
I'm beginning to think rivalries will go out the window if something isn't done because it may mean teams will load up for one year to win it all then disband the team.
It would be much like Baseball where an owner can "buy" a World Series championship by loading up on the best FA's then selling the team.
In the NFL with the hard cap, they would lose draft picks and be fined by being over the cap, but an egotistic owner might not care about the future in the pursuit of a SB win today.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:50 am

This kinda reminds me of Flynn. Had one killer game, gets a big conthen can't even win the starting job from a rookie.

I'm not saying JG isn't the starter, just the overpaid QB aspect for a relatively unproven player. Hey as a Hawk fan I like that they can't pay anyone else on their team now as we've poached dozens of players from them over the years.

One from this year may be Hyde.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:59 pm

A couple facts I see consistently missing from these arguments. And I get the fact that other fanbases feel this is a referendum on their QB, as in most things in life your pay rate is ideally tied to your production. But, in this case pay is not tied to a rating schedule of best QBs to worst. In analyzing his salary, consider these points:

The Patriots already attempted to offer him $17 mil/yr. He rejected it.

Alex Smith just got $74 mil guaranteed; roughly the same amount as JG. Can you, with a straight face, claim you'd not pay Alex Smith money for JG?

He's already filled a stadium that was likely half full most game days. He's a marketing dream for any organization. He speaks well. Women love him. Most people like him period. If you are the 49ers, how much is that worth?

This signing sets the table for FAs to come here. It puts the coach, GM and QB on the same page for 5 years. How much is "cohesion" worth for an organization that has had very little of it, even in the recent good years? It's worth a lot.

If you add all of this up, there is a lot of upside with this and very little downside. And we have not even started talking about what he actually did this year, on the football side.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:25 pm

The downside is he's unproven for a full year.
He had a good streak. Will he be a streaky player and how will he handle adversity as we know will happen?
What happens if one of the QB's taken in the draft that SF might have selected turns out to be a steal and JG ends up being just average or less?
It's a big gamble making him amongst the highest paid QBs in the league at this point. That's usually reserved for players that have proven over a few years that they are the real deal.
It's almost equivalent to the old days before salary slotting in the draft when players like J'Marcus Russell and our own Aaron Curry made out like bandits then underperformed.
He has shown some ability and he may be the real deal, but it's still a gamble for that size of a contract.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Largent80 wrote:This kinda reminds me of Flynn. Had one killer game, gets a big conthen can't even win the starting job from a rookie.

I'm not saying JG isn't the starter, just the overpaid QB aspect for a relatively unproven player. Hey as a Hawk fan I like that they can't pay anyone else on their team now as we've poached dozens of players from them over the years.

Flynn's deal was 7 million a year. It's not even close.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Futureite wrote:The Patriots already attempted to offer him $17 mil/yr. He rejected it.

Doubt this is known for sure given Belichick's tight control of information. Most likely this was speculation by some writer in the sports news cycle, notoriously known for its loose reporting.

Alex Smith just got $74 mil guaranteed; roughly the same amount as JG. Can you, with a straight face, claim you'd not pay Alex Smith money for JG?

Nope. Smart teams wouldn't pay Alex Smith that kind of money.

He's already filled a stadium that was likely half full most game days. He's a marketing dream for any organization. He speaks well. Women love him. Most people like him period. If you are the 49ers, how much is that worth?

Liking someone isn't reason to pay them. That stadium will empty if he falls off. 5 games just isn't enough to pay someone that kind of money. I hope they have an out clause should something go wrong.

This signing sets the table for FAs to come here. It puts the coach, GM and QB on the same page for 5 years. How much is "cohesion" worth for an organization that has had very little of it, even in the recent good years? It's worth a lot.

Only if both succeed. Cohesion is worthless if they don't.

If you add all of this up, there is a lot of upside with this and very little downside. And we have not even started talking about what he actually did this year, on the football side.

BS. This is a high risk-high reward move with a lot of downside and a lot of upside. If you found your franchise QB, then this was a great move. If this guy fails, then your organization is likely in the toilet for 4 to 5 more years. With that kind of contract you won't be able to kick him loose after a few years or trade him. He's yours with little wiggle room.

I think it was a dumb move. I also freely admit that if he succeeds, it will be an amazing move that will lift your franchise back into the limelight. Sometimes that's what you have to do to get your team going. Some do it in the draft, some do it with money. You have to take risks in football to hit homeruns. Building football teams is one of those activities that requires some high risk-high reward moves that if they work take you up. They don't commonly work, but when they work the results can be spectacular. It's hard to build a football team. Most people fail. If a GM manages to do it once every few decades that sustains for more than 5 or 10 years, then you're doing an amazing job.

Your GM took a big chance. I can't fault him too much even if I think it is too risky and stupid. Then again our GM and HC took a chance handing over the franchise to a 5'11" QB taken in the 3rd round when NFL history indicated he wouldn't succeed while all these taller, higher upside guys like RG3 and Andrew Luck had the media slobbering all over them. People slobbering all over your QB Colin Kaepernick. They thought everyone from Ryan Tannehill to Brandon Weeden would do better than Russell Wilson. Who's the last man standing of that highly touted QB class and the battle between Frisco's Colin Kaepernick and Seattle's Russell Wilson? Russell Wilson.

Our chance paid off big. Russell Wilson was the best QB from that period. All other comers have tried to take that from him, but Russell keeps on producing at a high level while his critics keep waiting for some younger QB to better him. But consistency and durability will beat flashes in the pan every time. Dak Prescott found that out this year as did Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz. You gotta do it for years to be great. We'll see if your guy Jimmy G can do that.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 pm

ASF, I disagree. And here is why.

First, people are focusing on his absolute salary rather than the salary cap hit. From what I am reading, it is around 15%. We still have the 3rd most cap space in the league. This doesn’t hamstring the organization. In fact, my bet is that it will attract more FAs than we otherwise would have gotten. People talk about costs, but they continually ignore the opportunity costs. You franchise him, maybe you don’t get those FAs. Maybe you pay a lot more when it comes time to negotiate again - and you hold up the entire org in the meantime. This eliminates all of the “what if”, the other side of the coin.

Second, people continually paint this as boom or bust. How much more do we need to see to say for certain that he win’t be a “bust”? He came to one of the worst pass blocking Os in the league, throwing to Trent Taylor, Kendrick Bourne, Marquise Goodwin and Garret Celek and instantly turned our O into the highest scoring O in the league over his starts. The guy has quiet feet snd is incredibly accurate under pressure. He was great in the clutch. Showed great leadership. All of this is not to say he’ll be “great”, but there’s enough here to say with relative certainty he’ll be “good”. So if he does underperform, how much will it be in dollars? Overpaid by $5 mil, $8 mil? That’s easily a risk you take.

Flynn, Osweiler, heck even Kap (whom I still like) all did what they did with a great supporting cast. This guy did it on a 1-9 team with limited knowledge of the O. You take this risk everytime IMO. Who knows how good he’ll be. Maybe just decent. But maybe great. We will see!
Futureite
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Largent80 wrote:This kinda reminds me of Flynn. Had one killer game, gets a big conthen can't even win the starting job from a rookie.

There are more differences than similarities to our signing of Matt Flynn. True, both were relatively unproven backups to HOF bound QB's, but that's pretty much where the similarities stop. We didn't pay Flynn the top dollar in the entire league, and the Niners have had a chance to give Garopollo a bit of a test drive in 6 regular season games that we didn't with Flynn. Additionally, we did not have a whole lot of confidence in Flynn as we drafted a QB in the 3rd round to come in and compete with him (anyone remember who that was?). I doubt that you see the Niners drafting a QB that high or bringing in someone else to compete with Garappolo for the starting job.

Personally I think that the Niners are way overpaying him. No one else was going to go out there and pay him that kind of scratch. But on the other hand, you don't turn doormats into SB contenders by being conservative and hedging your bets, you have to be bold. The average lifespan of a head coach in the NFL is less than 4 years, so particularly with a first time unproven head coach like Shanahan, he's going to have to find his QB quickly and hitch his wagon to him. They're not going to tolerate more than a couple of 2-14 seasons, he has X amount of time to build a contender. This is Shanahan pushing all his chips to the center of the table. So goes Garapollo, so goes Shanahan. You have to admire his courage. The guy has balls.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Sorry dude, I just see the resemblances, you can blow holes in my post if it makes you feel better.

Women love him is the a reason. Hahahahahaha

That will help you pay your other stars on the team. Laughable, and spoken by someone from a team that has had almost ZERO success in the last 10 years. In a perpetual rebuild mode.

There isn't a single person here that doesn't understand the value of a franchise QB. But just because he had a little success against garbage teams doesn't make him a franchise QB.

Oh, I forgot, there are no other stars on that team..LOL.....So I guess your good.... :lol:
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Exactly River. Have to accept risk in life if you want reward! Pete himself would tell you that ).
Futureite
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Largent80 wrote:Sorry dude, I just see the resemblances, you can blow holes in my post if it makes you feel better.

It takes a little more than blowig holes in a post to make me feel better.

But if you're looking for a resemblence, IMO Matt Cassell is probably closer to the mark than Flynn. At least they were both from the same team and played behind the same QB. But even that's a bit of a stretch. This Garapollo deal is unprecidented.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Futureite wrote:ASF, I disagree. And here is why.

First, people are focusing on his absolute salary rather than the salary cap hit. From what I am reading, it is around 15%. We still have the 3rd most cap space in the league. This doesn’t hamstring the organization. In fact, my bet is that it will attract more FAs than we otherwise would have gotten. People talk about costs, but they continually ignore the opportunity costs. You franchise him, maybe you don’t get those FAs. Maybe you pay a lot more when it comes time to negotiate again - and you hold up the entire org in the meantime. This eliminates all of the “what if”, the other side of the

His cap hit numbers are out, and although they are incredibly obnoxious, the miners can handle the hit. They also can cut him after 3 years with very little dead money (4 mil). His cap hits are as follows: 37 mil (holy crap that is HUGE, but they do have the cap space), 20 mil (not bad IF he is a good QB), 26.6, 26.9, 27 mil. If he isn’t performing at a very high level after year 2”3 he will be cut more than likely and the miners will have wasted a lot of money, but only do a short period of time. The niners are in a financial situation to take this risk. If he is awefup he is cut and the coach and GM are probably gone. If he is an elite QB the end of the contract will Be fine compared to what other QBs are making at that time. The problem for the miners is probably the most likely scenario, he is OK. A borderline Pro-bowler who at his best is pretty good but more often than not he’s above average (Carson palmer, Kurt cousins, Alex Smith). In which case his he will always be overpaid and take up valuable cap space for a team that otherwise might be competing for a playoff spot.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Mykc14;

After watching him play, do you really see Cousins, Palmer, Alex Smith talent? And when I say talent, I don't mean arm strength, etc. I am talking talent at playing the position. I know this is a Seahawks board, but man. I'd have puked if they gave any one of those 3 you named a contract, let alone this type of money. We all have our allegiances and biases, but I think the consensus around the league already is that he's a very good QB with the potential to be great. If he can do what he did with a group of scrubs, terrible pass blocking O-line and no real knowledge of the system, we're all excited here to see what'll happen in 2018 with obvious changes.

Anyhow, not here to change your mind. The bottom line is, no one knows until the games are played. IMO, it's the best decision we've made in a long time. We'll see.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Futureite wrote:Mykc14;

After watching him play, do you really see Cousins, Palmer, Alex Smith talent? And when I say talent, I don't mean arm strength, etc. I am talking talent at playing the position. I know this is a Seahawks board, but man. I'd have puked if they gave any one of those 3 you named a contract, let alone this type of money. We all have our allegiances and biases, but I think the consensus around the league already is that he's a very good QB with the potential to be great. If he can do what he did with a group of scrubs, terrible pass blocking O-line and no real knowledge of the system, we're all excited here to see what'll happen in 2018 with obvious changes.

Anyhow, not here to change your mind. The bottom line is, no one knows until the games are played. IMO, it's the best decision we've made in a long time. We'll see.

I do see a guy who is playing the QB position well right now, but I don’t know about where he will be in the future. To project anybody as an elite QB after 7 starts is a huge stretch. I also would say the chances of him being a bust is unlikely. The most likely scenario is the one I laid out. He has played extremely well in limited his first 7 NFL starts, he has a very good offensive genius at HC, he played under the GOAT in NE, he is known as a hard worker, and learned the niners system in a short period of time. All of this suggests that he has the potential to be a very good QB. At the same time he only has 7 NFL starts. The league has very little tape on him and NFL D-coordinates haven’t really game planned to stop him. Although he was very accurate he still had 5 INT to only 7 TDS. Again, he may end up being an elite QB... or a complete bust, but he most likely will be a good, top half of the league sometimes top 8-10 QB.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Mykc14;

Those are fair points. We'll have to see how it all plays out. A lot of variables at play. We still have a ton of holes on O so I am curious if we use FA/draft to address those, try to get some big playmakers or address the holes on D. My dream pick is Saquon Barkley. Things are going to change a lot one way or the other.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Those are fair points. We'll have to see how it all plays out. A lot of variables at play. We still have a ton of holes on O so I am curious if we use FA/draft to address those, try to get some big playmakers or address the holes on D. My dream pick is Saquon Barkley. Things are going to change a lot one way or the other.

Niners are in a great position for a quick rebuild given their cap situation and the fact that they may have found a franchise QB already. If Jimmy is who he looked like he could be they easily could be a 7 to 9 win team next year. Getting a good draft and hitting on a few good FA could make for a very exciting next couple of years for niners fans. Over spending on FA, reaching on draft picks, and Jimmy playing like crap could make for an agonizing three year stretch and a new coach/GM. Either way hope springs eternal for niners fans right now and I don’t blame you at all for being optimistic.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:31 am

Futureite wrote:ASF, I disagree. And here is why.

First, people are focusing on his absolute salary rather than the salary cap hit. From what I am reading, it is around 15%. We still have the 3rd most cap space in the league. This doesn’t hamstring the organization. In fact, my bet is that it will attract more FAs than we otherwise would have gotten. People talk about costs, but they continually ignore the opportunity costs. You franchise him, maybe you don’t get those FAs. Maybe you pay a lot more when it comes time to negotiate again - and you hold up the entire org in the meantime. This eliminates all of the “what if”, the other side of the coin.

Second, people continually paint this as boom or bust. How much more do we need to see to say for certain that he win’t be a “bust”? He came to one of the worst pass blocking Os in the league, throwing to Trent Taylor, Kendrick Bourne, Marquise Goodwin and Garret Celek and instantly turned our O into the highest scoring O in the league over his starts. The guy has quiet feet snd is incredibly accurate under pressure. He was great in the clutch. Showed great leadership. All of this is not to say he’ll be “great”, but there’s enough here to say with relative certainty he’ll be “good”. So if he does underperform, how much will it be in dollars? Overpaid by $5 mil, $8 mil? That’s easily a risk you take.

Flynn, Osweiler, heck even Kap (whom I still like) all did what they did with a great supporting cast. This guy did it on a 1-9 team with limited knowledge of the O. You take this risk everytime IMO. Who knows how good he’ll be. Maybe just decent. But maybe great. We will see!

You can disagree all you want. If he fails, your team fails. And it doesn't matter how much cap space you have or how many free agents you sign to eat it up. If he fails, you're still suck with an albatross at the most important position on the team. The same could be said trying to draft a QB, it just doesn't cost as much money or last as long. Fact is you need this to work or you have a very expensive contract on the books no one will trade for and a team that won't be very competitive.

How much do you need to see? Many years. QBs bust for all kinds of reasons. One good season like Nick Foles or Dak Prescott can have people loving the guy until he can't perform at a high level consistently. Injury like Deshaun Watson, Nick Foles, or RG3. Any number of reasons can derail a QB. 5 games isn't worth 28 million a year. Your GM can prove everyone wrong if he succeeds. He'll lose his job if he fails. Your GM just bet his job and your franchise's future for the next 4 or 5 years on this contract. Good luck to him. Good luck to you.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:36 am

I trust your QB assessment not at all. You already lost bad comparing Colin K. to Russell Wilson. You're a homer that couldn't tell bad from good when they're wearing the red and gold. That's expected as a fan. But I'm not that way even with my team. You gotta prove it over the long haul for me to get on board. We'll see if your boy can do the job once the film catches up to him.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 am

But, women like him, he is destined for greatness.

He's probably gay..... :lol:
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 am

Another thing I want to add pertains to the salary. Yes, it's outrageous and a complete waste of money. They could have signed him to a lot less as no way is a QB needy team like Cleveland is going to pony up that much for an unproven talent when they have other options, especially considering the success that both the Rams and Philly had with their young QB's. But it won't last two months as tops in the league. Drew Brees is a free agent, and both the Packers and Falcons are looking to extend the contracts of their two MVP QB's. What it does do is push out the envelope ahead of those negotiations and skew the already wide disparity between a franchise QB and their teammates.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:23 am

ASF;

You don't have trust my assessment on a QB or anything. It's all conjecture. Not sure why you'd say that anyhow, because I haven't posted any assessment of him. I probably won't on this board, because it's probably not the place for it. I just posted the facts of what he did. He came onto a 1-9 team that was so bad at protecting the QB that most people didn't even want him to see a snap this season for fear he'd get hurt. Look what he did, period. I think the majority opinion of people who have no vested interest in the 49ers either way is that he's already a damn good QB and it was a good signing. If I were a "homer", I'd be gushing about how great he is, what he'll do, etc. The talent, leadership and feel for the position is so obvious in the case it'd actually be more of a homer opinion to deny it.

It's all football either way man. It's not life or death. As River can attest to, I had no idea who this guy even really was when we traded for him and had no expectations at all. I just hoped he'd look serviceable if he even got to play at all this year. I watched every painful game last year to start 1-9 and I'll watch next year regardless of what happens.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Haven't busted these out since 2013 but seems like we have the rivalry back.

Largent80
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Truly unfortunate as this obscene contract doesn't just sink the Niners if he turns out to be as mediocre as his stats predict * ain't no one buying 7tds and 5ints is equivalent to 130 mil plus, well I guess except delusional niner "faithful"* but it absolutely burdens teams with proven QBs looking to stay competitive ( say Seattle, NO, GB etc).

Who knows, maybe the Niners plan was to instead of improving to compete, destroy other teams rosters to drag them back to their level.... lol
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm

It doesn't have much of an impact this year, but they want to attract some top FA's, too, so in later years it might become an issue. Even more so if he's a flop, but if you load up on expensive FA's, the Cap can become an issue pretty quickly.
We found that out with re-signing our own to big contracts even with what is now thought to be a reasonable contract for Wilson, if not too little.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Truly unfortunate as this obscene contract doesn't just sink the Niners if he turns out to be as mediocre as his stats predict * ain't no one buying 7tds and 5ints is equivalent to 130 mil plus, well I guess except delusional niner "faithful"* but it absolutely burdens teams with proven QBs looking to stay competitive ( say Seattle, NO, GB etc).

Who knows, maybe the Niners plan was to instead of improving to compete, destroy other teams rosters to drag them back to their level.... lol

I am comparing RW and JG side by side. Tell me who is the "homer" and who is looking at this objectively. I bolded the stat where each QB leads compared to the other. I left out YDs/GM as it is skewed by the several snaps JG took V Hawks, which counted as a "game" - but not a "start":

Russell Wilson 2017 stats - Completing percentage, 61.3%; YDS/Attempt 7.2; TD INT Ratio 3.09; Rating 95.4

Jimmy Garropolo 2017 stats - Completion percentage 67.4%; YDS/Attempt 8.8; TD INT Ratio 1.4; Rating 96.4.

What am I missing here. Neither had any sort of pass protection, so that is no longer an excuse. JG had no Jimmy Graham or even a Doug Baldwin. Not a single guy that had previously posted 1,000 yds receiving. He had no 5 years in the same system as Wilson did. Now don't go all crazy, because I am not saying he is better than Wilson (will have to prove that to make it true) but we didn't average 28 PPG and go 5-0 in his starts based upon poor play. I gave Russell his due and put him right at about the top 5 of all NFL QBs. "If" you are truly objective, you'd at least admit that was an incredible start. He didn't do that in some new or gimmick system either, where "film" or the league will catch up to him. He did it under the worst possible conditions a QB could be expected to excel in. You can claim he'll flop or bust, and that is fine. As of now though he's demonstrated that he's a classic pocket passer and he's only going to get much, much better.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am

Futureite wrote:I am comparing RW and JG side by side. Tell me who is the "homer" and who is looking at this objectively. I bolded the stat where each QB leads compared to the other. I left out YDs/GM as it is skewed by the several snaps JG took V Hawks, which counted as a "game" - but not a "start":

Russell Wilson 2017 stats - Completing percentage, 61.3%; YDS/Attempt 7.2; TD INT Ratio 3.09; Rating 95.4

Jimmy Garropolo 2017 stats - Completion percentage 67.4%; YDS/Attempt 8.8; TD INT Ratio 1.4; Rating 96.4.

What am I missing here. Neither had any sort of pass protection, so that is no longer an excuse. JG had no Jimmy Graham or even a Doug Baldwin. Not a single guy that had previously posted 1,000 yds receiving. He had no 5 years in the same system as Wilson did. Now don't go all crazy, because I am not saying he is better than Wilson (will have to prove that to make it true) but we didn't average 28 PPG and go 5-0 in his starts based upon poor play. I gave Russell his due and put him right at about the top 5 of all NFL QBs. "If" you are truly objective, you'd at least admit that was an incredible start. He didn't do that in some new or gimmick system either, where "film" or the league will catch up to him. He did it under the worst possible conditions a QB could be expected to excel in. You can claim he'll flop or bust, and that is fine. As of now though he's demonstrated that he's a classic pocket passer and he's only going to get much, much better.

So let me get this straight: You're comparing a 5 game stat line with a 16 game stat line and in the same breath claiming that you're being objective?
Last edited by RiverDog on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am

LOL, the Whiner fan is grasping at straws and so far, has the short one.

Maybe a metaphor?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NineR » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:21 am

He is looking to extrapolate in comparing JG to RW. But a full season should show a dominance.
NineR
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Futurerite already bet big on Colin Kaepernick, believing all the hype about him, and lost that argument as well believing stupidly CK was far better than he was.

This is sports. Futurerite and Niner fans can make their argument. Seattle fans can disagree. It doesn't matter because it will all be decided on the field. All that matters to Seattle fans is that if Jimmy G fails, the Niners fail. If Jimmy G succeeds, then we have a rival we must respect. We'll see over the next few years.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum