The RIP thread

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: The RIP thread

Postby idhawkman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Billy Graham was a CON Artist who was very good at his job reading many of the posts from those that admit that they are not very "religious". Those who said that he was NOT of the stripe like Jim & Tammy Baker, Jimmy Swaggert, and a multitude of others. He was not of their stripe because his con was just that much better.

I read where his message was "consistent". How do you know if he was consistent or not? Do a little research (I know, I know it is hard and time consuming and besides HISTORY is NO FUN, that is why no one in here bothered to read the Federalist Papers although they are all a very easy down load) and then come back and repeat that statement. Now, you can always say "well, he always admitted he was a sinner" so, of course there are stories out there that shine light on some of Billy's UNGODLY beliefs and practices. Fair enough, but, if he CONTINUES those beliefs and practices and does not REPENT and change his behavior then he is worse than your usual run of the mill sinner. No, someone with the stature of Billy much more is required. Billy put himself out there as a SHEPARD for Christ, to lead his flock to Christ, but, when a shepard leads Christ's flock astray he know longer is a servant to Christ but a servant of Satan.

Billy Graham's soul I am quite sure is burning in Hell and will be burning for an eternity.

You see, Billy set himself up a KINGDOM for himself here on EARTH because deep down in his heart he didn't really BELIEVE in Jesus Christ and that Christ was his savior. Like any other hereditary KING Billy passed the crown of his kingdom to his son, Billy Franklin Graham Junior.

Wow, I thought it was God's job to judge man.

I never liked watching any of those shows on tv. I went to church most every weekend which is where I got my religion. I've met some really persuasive people and some who came from a cult. One of the things an international speaker on power of persuasion told me is that you can not under estimate the fear of older people confronting their demise. Every year I age, I believe what he told me more and more.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26 pm

RIP David Ogden Stiers better known as Col. Charles Emerson Winchester III a whiz of a surgeon on the T.V. show M*A*S*H. Stiers also did many other roles of stage, screen, and television including a Disney cartoon Beauty and the Beast. My favorite character of his will always be that of Col. Winchester, the 3rd. " Winchester's don't sweat, we perspire..." that and many other quips. Sure, the lines were the written excellence of the writers but it is the actors that deliver those lines and did he deliver!. My original favorite on the T.V. show M*A*SH was the character Trapper John played by Wayne Rodgers (RIP 2016) so when he left I was in limbo because my favorite character in the movie had been Radar played by Gary Burgough but the Radar character changed for the show even though it was played by the same actor.

So, when the Charles Emerson Winchester the #rd. character showed up to take the place of the Frank Burns character (loved to hate ferret face) I was ready for the change. I loved his pompass over the top snobbery but he also had a heart and he had the surgeon chops to back it all up.

What a tremendous actor and even better human being, RIP David Ogden Stiers

Edit; P.S. Mr. Stiers died of bladder cancer at the very young age of 75.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:53 am

idhawkman wrote:I never liked watching any of those shows on tv. I went to church most every weekend which is where I got my religion. I've met some really persuasive people and some who came from a cult. One of the things an international speaker on power of persuasion told me is that you can not under estimate the fear of older people confronting their demise. Every year I age, I believe what he told me more and more.

I detested televangilism for the very reason you stated: That they take advantage of older people. I remember Oral Roberts telling viewers that God had told him that he wouldn't get into heaven if he didn't raise X amount of money by a certain time. I heard stories about older people sending their social security checks to them.

I do think that older people confronting their demise is part of it, but there's other factors in the equation. Their diminished mental capacity in general is going to make them more suceptible to scams, plus they come from a generation that always answered the phone, always trusted what the person on the other end of the line told them. Heck, most people under 70 never answer a phone unless they know who the calller is, but an 80 year old will.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 am

Old but Slow wrote:Our older community (I guess I qualify at 74) are a ripe crop for the scams. It is partly due to the newer technologies and media forms that many of us coots have never had to understand. Most of us now are used to the endless requests for money, but for some, these are pleas that should be responded to. My Dad, generally a wise man, was giving money all over the place until my sister investigated and then took over his finances. He was in his nineties. Pure greed, for the most part, and in my mind, the religious sources are the worst. But, what do I know? Donations accepted. j/k

It's that period of time back in the early to mid 80's that I aquired a healthy disrespect for all religions due to televangelism and other religious enterprises taking advantage of the elderly. It's the root cause of my stance in the Tim Tebow debates from years ago.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 am

Joel Osteen would not admit Harvey victims into his "church" but after a LOT of bad press finally agreed, while guys like "mattress Mac" opened up his Gallery Furniture stores immediately and had people sleeping on beds in their showroom, and even serving meals for weeks out of his own pocket !!!!!

That's the difference in people and how they deal with riches. I detest people like Osteen who lives in an unGodly mansion at the expense of his "people". What a fraud and jackass. Karma has a big throbbing one waiting for him.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 am

RIP Stephen Hawking, the greatest mind of our generation.

Sheldon must be crushed ....
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:23 am

A truly great mind and he can now join Sagan on the other side.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:51 pm

RIP Hawking. A true testament to the human will that he accomplished so much with a such a huge obstacle to overcome.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:25 am

RIP Frank Avruch, the first person to play Bozo the Clown. 1928-2018.

I remember that was one of the first shows I ever really watched as a kid.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:43 am

RIP Facebook
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 pm

Largent80 wrote:RIP Facebook

LOL big Zucker is watching................................... :D :D
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 pm

RIP Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermy passed away this morning due to complications from pneumonia.

My first date with my future wife of more than 30 years? Full Metal Jacket, and she asked me! She knew me so well even then. I have been a fan of Ermy's ever since but I didn't know he had been this prolific.

You hear that phrase "street cred" these days, well, R. Lee Ermy knew what he was talking about when he spoke about what it was like back then.

RIP Gunny!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Most terrifying portrayal of a drill sergeant in history. Fantastic character borne of experience + charisma. Unreal.

"So I think that's why yellow makes me sad..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APwfZYO1di4
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:55 pm

I've never served in the military and hence never gone through boot camp, but I've had numerous people, from WW2 boot camps to the modern day basic training, that swore that the movie "Full Metal Jacket" duplicated to 'T' what transpires in basic training, particularly in the Marines.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:RIP Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermy passed away this morning due to complications from pneumonia.

My first date with my future wife of more than 30 years? Full Metal Jacket, and she asked me! She knew me so well even then. I have been a fan of Ermy's ever since but I didn't know he had been this prolific.

You hear that phrase "street cred" these days, well, R. Lee Ermy knew what he was talking about when he spoke about what it was like back then.

RIP Gunny!!!

Damn. Didn't even know he was sick. Always enjoyed his performances and personality. His Full Metal Jacket performance set the bar for all drill sergeants on screen ever. Most memorable portrayal of a drill in history.

RIP Gunny Ermy!

Getting old sucks.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:21 am

Have you ever seen the movie " the D.I." starring Jack Webb of Dragnet fame? Until FMJ the D.I. was the bar. Great movie but we now understand the D.I. had a lot of "P.C." mixed in where FMJ didn't hold back.

I also enjoyed his T.V. shows, very informational, Ermy was GREAT!!

BTW; I am sure everyone will agree, 74 any more is pretty young. I decided to look up projected life spans and it turns out both my wife and I have less than 10 years left so I hope the scale is wrong LOL.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

RIP Harry Anderson

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:33 pm

I just loved night Night Court, RIP Judge Harry.

http://komonews.com/news/entertainment/ ... -at-age-65
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:01 pm

RIP Harry the Hat. Loved him on Cheers too.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby HawkDawg » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Art Bell, RIP. Love him or hate him, he had one hell of a radio show. Personally, it was some of the greatest late night radio entertainment I've ever come across.
HawkDawg
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:33 am

RIP Barbara Bush!!! The nation's Grand Mother, the "enforcer" to her family a great, great woman. She has the respect of EVERYONE, no has a bad word to say against her, she brought people together and what a wonderful thing to say about someone.

She won great respect when she wasn't afraid to let the public know that she disagreed with her husband once in a while. She never stood in his way but she also didn't want anyone to think of her as a fool either. A great woman, beloved by all.

God Speed Babs!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 pm

10-4 on Barbara Bush. She's one of only two people in the history of our country that was the wife to one President and the mother to another. She was unashamed of her gray hair and her grandmotherly appearance. I also heard that she and George HW share the longest marriage between a first lady and POTUS. Their love for each other was genuine and long lasting.

A couple of things stand out about Mrs. Bush. When her husband George HW Bush told the Air Force One crew that he didn't want to ever see broccoli on the plane again, Barbara met a number of California farmers that had driven to the White House to deliver several loads of broccoli. The other thing that stands out is her serving cookies to the media after Hillary told them not to expect her to stay home and bake cookies.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:10 am

RIP Verne Troyer (Mini-Me). 49 years old. No cause given yet.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:46 pm

idhawkman wrote:RIP Verne Troyer (Mini-Me). 49 years old. No cause given yet.

Mini-me was great. Really made the Austin Powers more hilarious. RIP!
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 am

RIP Lois Lane 'er MARGOT KIDDER. She has not been well for many years. She didn't have much of a career because of mental problems and I think substance abuse but she really did a great job in the first three Super Man movies she co-starred in with the late Christopher Reeve who IMHO was the BEST movie Super Man with George Reeves being the best T.V. S.M.

Anyway, I hope you found that peace that eluded you in life Margot and say hello to Chris!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby HawkDawg » Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 am

RIP Chuck Knox after a long battle with dementia. He put the Seahawks on the map with our first playoff appearance.
HawkDawg
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:57 am

Two former professional athletes passed away yesterday:

Dwight Clark, 61, former wide receiver for the 49'ers and on the receiving end of "The Catch", one of the most iconic plays in NFL history. He died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).

Bruce Kison, 68, former Pitsburgh Pirates pitcher and native of Pasco, WA. Kison pitched in 10 post season games and posted a 5-1 record and a 1.98 ERA. He died of renal cancer.

Rest in peace.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:31 am

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Kind of surprised CBob hasn't posted this yet but...

RIP Aretha Franklin.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:24 pm

My bad (I paid tribute on my FB page, musta thought I had here too).

Love The Queen of Soul, nothing but R E S P E C T!

RIP Aretha.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Relatively young at 76. It's a little depressing seeing another icon from my childhood pass on. Oh, well, that's life.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:18 pm

RIP Ed King, guitarist and songwriter for The Strawberry Alarm Alarm Clock and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:01 pm

RIP Robin Leach - Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Says it was complications from a stroke.

Edited: Thought I should add, "Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams" to you Robin.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:16 pm

RIP "Mean" Gene OKerlund - WWE announcer for many years.

I hope he is getting "READY TO RUUUUUUUMBLE" in the sky.

It appears he was 76 years old and he had 3 kidney replacments. Not sure if that was the cause though.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:48 pm

I just heard that Captain from Captain and Tennille just died, too. He also was 76 but no idea what he died from.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:05 am

idhawkman wrote:I just heard that Captain from Captain and Tennille just died, too. He also was 76 but no idea what he died from.

Daryl Dragon. I would assume it was not an unexpected death as Tony Tennille was at his side when he passed. They had a variety show that I never cared for and several hits in the pop music category, both in the mid 70's.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 am

RiverDog wrote:
Daryl Dragon. I would assume it was not an unexpected death as Tony Tennille was at his side when he passed. They had a variety show that I never cared for and several hits in the pop music category, both in the mid 70's.

Yeah, mid to late 70s they were all over the airwaves. I heard this morning that it was kidney failure. Strange how that is a big thing now but I guess it has to move to something else as more and more cures for differing cancers are implemented. We all owe 1 death to this life and it will be something.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:50 pm

Super Dave Osborne passed yesterday at 76, too. Weird.

Hilarious guy. RIP.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Wow, RIP Super Dave.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 am

Brandon Mebane his 7 yo daughter McKenna. God bless you.

RIP
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 am

Bob Kuechenberg, vital cog in the best O-Line in NFL history has died at 71 years old.

RIP Kooch.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic