Sounds Like Sherman is Gone

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Sounds Like Sherman is Gone

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:43 pm

According to Ian Rapoport...

CB Richard Sherman has told teammates goodbye over the past 24 hours, sources say, and that he won’t be on the team. Those close to him say nothing is set in stone and there has been no official word.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ri ... spartanntp
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Sounds Like Sherman is Gone

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Hmmm.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:30 pm

I'll believe it when it is truth.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:56 pm

It's hard to believe that anyone would trade for Sherman at this point, before he's proven that he's recovered from his Achilles surgery, but it's equally difficult to believe that we'd cut him at this same point in time.

If Sherman is gone, if the Bennett trade is confirmed, and if we don't pursue any of our big FA's (Graham, Richardson, etc), then I think we can safely say that we're in a rebuilding mode.

After a relatively slow 6 weeks, things sure are heating up.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm

This one makes me sad.

Doubt it's a trade, I think retirement is more likely.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 pm

They could restructure his contract in some manner.
Releasing him could clear $11 million from the Cap, but I don't think they can do so until he's cleared to play.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:59 pm

This makes a little more sense:

The backdrop here is a meeting that apparently took place between Sherman and the Seahawks in Las Vegas on Wednesday. Following said meeting, NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport is reporting that Seattle is expected to explore trade possibilities for the 29-year-old corner. The insider notes that a release is possible and that Sherman could potentially return at a lower cost in 2018.

At this point, it’s pretty safe to say that Sherman’s time with the Seahawks is coming to an end. Whether that means he is traded or released is not yet known. What we do know is that he can’t technically be traded until he passes a physical. After suffering a torn Achilles last season and undergoing recent surgery on his other Achilles, it’s highly unlikely Sherman will be able to pass said physical any time soon.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby rocket » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Sherman himself said the team has told him nothing.
Yet his Momma says she's sad...
rocket
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:18 pm

He will be released.
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Sherm may have refused to restructure and the Seahawks decided to release him with a medical settlement. Sheesh. This sucks. He brought the swagger to this defense. I'll always remember The Swat when he batted that ball away sealing our victory.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 pm

I'll always remember The Swat

It was "The Immaculate Deflection".

And you call yourself a Hawks fan...
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 pm

This one actually surprises me a bit (though I know not official yet).

I did forget, however, that it's now both achilles heals that he's had issues with.
Still, I'd be surprised if he straight up retired, but he does a have a bright future ahead on one of the networks while also continuing his blogs. Time keeps tickin', and I'm looking forward to seeing how draft now.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:27 pm

burrrton wrote:It was "The Immaculate Deflection".

And you call yourself a Hawks fan...

I hate that name. Such a bite off the Steelers. And I hate the Steelers. So I came up with a name I prefer.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:01 am

The word now is that Sherman will be cut within the next two days.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... spartanntp

I can only speculate that his recovery from Achilles surgery must be coming along slowly and that he won't be ready for the season opener. The relatively minor surgery he had a few weeks ago on the opposite foot might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. This was Sherman's last year under contract, so there's really no reason to keep him on if he's not going to be able to perform at a level that justifies his salary.

Plus the antics that had him the subject of trade rumors last season is undoubtedly on the minds of the FO.

It's a tough decision. Sherman is without a doubt the best cornerback in franchise history and our only true shutdown corner, and it's too bad that he has to leave like this, ie being thrown out with yesterday's newspaper. But it is a business.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:49 am

It's a move about Cap space.
They can realize $11 million by letting him go, so it's a big incentive for the team to move on.
If his salary was in the $4 to $5 million range, I doubt we would be discussing this like we are today.

Edit:
This article suggests they might cut him and try to re-sign him at a lower Cap value.
It would also allow Sherman to test the market from other teams (and I would assume assuage his ego to some degree).
But it's difficult for him to shop himself around currently because he's his own agent and teams can't talk to him while he's under contract.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/seatt ... ews-rumors
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 am

NorthHawk wrote:But it's difficult for him to shop himself around currently because he's his own agent and teams can't talk to him while he's under contract.

He's also actively rehabbing, not a good time to be 'testing the waters'.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:28 am

It's time for the guys the Hawks drafted last year and previous to step in and try to be what the original LOB became, young, chip on their shoulders players with tons of upside. Darboh, Thompson, Hill, Vannett have got to get in the lineup and produce. Vannett was touted as a good blocking TE with decent hands, he's had plenty of time to absorb the game and with a new OC and scheme, he may be a key guy. McDougald should be a priority signing at this point as well.

Sherman is coming off a tear of the achilles and surgery on the other one. For a guy that needs to backpedal, those aren't the types of injuries you want to be talking about at age 29. Plus all that money for this year when the team needs the cash.

This group of players gave us the best teams ever in Seahawkland and will forever be the great memories that they are, but we all age and it's inevitable that change is needed.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:13 am

burrrton wrote:He's also actively rehabbing, not a good time to be 'testing the waters'.

That's a good point. It's one thing to be your own agent when you're under contract or negotiating with just one team, but when you're out on the open market and want to be available to 31 other teams, it can be a bit time consuming. He'd be a fool not to hire an agent under these circumstances.

And to be fair about his second surgery, it was minor and did not result in any repairing of tendons. I suspect that all they did was remove some bone spurs. But the problem is that it sets back his recovery on his bad wheel.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:55 pm

I suspect they may have offered a restructured contract (just a guess on my part) where his Cap hit is much lower and if he doesn't get many offers or they are less, he may return so as to demonstrate he is still a good CB.
My thinking is maybe a "show me" type deal to demonstrate his injury is in the past.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 pm

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:50 am

IF the Seahawks CUT Sherman WHILE he is INJURED then yeah, I WILL turn in my handle, I will NOT "cheer" for a team that would CUT my favorite player who is UNDER CONTRACT and ONLY 29 years of age. This IS just like when the Mariners told Randy Johnson that they didn't "trust" his back when the LOW BALLED him in contract EXTENSION talks. It was B.S. then by the M's it WAS B.S. for the Sonics to run future Hall of Famer Dennis Johnson out of Seattle and I call B.S. IF the Seahawks CUT my main man Richard Sherman.

DEFENSE WON the Super Bowl and RICHARD SHERMAN as a charter member of the LOB SET THE TONE. It sure as *$&@ wasn't RUSSELL shortshit WILSON!!! Mr INT instead of handing the ball to Marshawn Lynch so he doesn't embarrass the NFL and the Seahawks by winning the SB MVP so who ends up with oit?? Freaking BRADY that's who. How's THAT Sheman's fault???

Do you want to KNOW what this IS all about????????????????? It is about Pete being pizzed off that it was Richard Sherman who CALLED OUT Pete for sticking with Darrell Bevell, it WAS Richard Sherman who put the target on his OWN BACK by speaking up about what ALL THE OTHER DEFENSIVE PLAYERS were GRIPING about and that was Bevell and his lame play designs and lame play calling and everyone making out that Russell Wilson can DO NO WRONG when all Pete is doing is KISSING WILSON's BEHIND.

Why do you think they got RID of Michael Bennett?? Because of HIS MOUTH and the fact he was controversial, he was "taking a knee" and drawing unwanted attention, especially from a hypocritical POTUS so what does Pete and Paul Allen do? They KISS Goodell's behind. Do they REALLY believe that kissing Goodell's arse will get them any where??? How did it help us by letting the NFL ROB us of XL???? Did it get us anything?? NO WAY.

This IS POLITICAL FOOTBALL to use the moniker of one of our long time posters.

Each season I have grown sicker and sicker of listening to all of Pete's LAME EXCUSES as to why him and Schneider can't seem to manage to develop any O-Linemen. SICK of Pete's EXCUSES.

You know what? IMHO we had better turn it around and make it back to the big dance or Paul should FIRE PETE. Any HC who blames his own FAILURES on an outspoken player.

Anyone who lived through then Sonics owner Sam Schulman take apart our NBA Championship team simply because he didn't want to spend any money and Lenny Wilkins who TWICE had been the "toast" of the town side with Schulman and STICK A KNIFE in his BEST PLAYER's back, DENNIS JOHNSON AKA D.J. and actually called him as a "cancer" . Well, the only CANCER was Lenny Wilkins. The Super Sonics NEVER won another Championship and now DON'T EVEN EXIST!

Pete built a championship team, and then, BEFORE they had even hoisted the trophy Pete and John started to TEAR IT APART. The first bone head move was PERCY HARVIN which DIRECTLY led to Golden Tate leaving for Detroit. So MANY idiotic player moves since then. Trading away a Pro-Bowl Center for a T.E. that doesn't WANT to be a T.E. and on and on and on.

I am SICK of Pete Carroll and his lousy EXCUSES if any of the rest of you want to be POLLYANNAS go right ahead and be my guest but if they CUT Sherman then they are CUTTING ME as a fan and until there is a a head coaching and/or an ownership change I will no longer root for the Seahawks IF they CUT my FAVORITE SEAHAWK and the ONLY player whose jersey I own and PROUDLY wear #25 Richard Sherman.

# 25 has ALWAYS been a special Seahawk number for me. It was Don Dufect's number! Anybody else remember Don Dufect?? He was a DB and played mostly on Special Teams since he was not a starting D.B. What I like about Dufect is that Chuck Knox kept cutting him and yet time after time kept bringing him back. He was a real fighter, all heart. I can't remember anybody else wearing #25 for the Seahawks, just Don and Richard but they did the number JUSTICE.

It probably has something to do with the #25 was once MY NUMBER when I played Safety. Richard Sherman has brought nothing but HONOR to the #25 and I hope that the rumour the Seahawks were going to CUT Sherm was just a fevered fantasy of one Ian Rappaport and he is WRONG.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:43 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:IF the Seahawks CUT Sherman WHILE he is INJURED then yeah, I WILL turn in my handle, I will NOT "cheer" for a team that would CUT my favorite player who is UNDER CONTRACT and ONLY 29 years of age. This IS just like when the Mariners told Randy Johnson that they didn't "trust" his back when the LOW BALLED him in contract EXTENSION talks. It was B.S. then by the M's it WAS B.S. for the Sonics to run future Hall of Famer Dennis Johnson out of Seattle and I call B.S. IF the Seahawks CUT my main man Richard Sherman.

DEFENSE WON the Super Bowl and RICHARD SHERMAN as a charter member of the LOB SET THE TONE. It sure as *$&@ wasn't RUSSELL shortshit WILSON!!! Mr INT instead of handing the ball to Marshawn Lynch so he doesn't embarrass the NFL and the Seahawks by winning the SB MVP so who ends up with oit?? Freaking BRADY that's who. How's THAT Sheman's fault???

Do you want to KNOW what this IS all about????????????????? It is about Pete being pizzed off that it was Richard Sherman who CALLED OUT Pete for sticking with Darrell Bevell, it WAS Richard Sherman who put the target on his OWN BACK by speaking up about what ALL THE OTHER DEFENSIVE PLAYERS were GRIPING about and that was Bevell and his lame play designs and lame play calling and everyone making out that Russell Wilson can DO NO WRONG when all Pete is doing is KISSING WILSON's BEHIND.

Why do you think they got RID of Michael Bennett?? Because of HIS MOUTH and the fact he was controversial, he was "taking a knee" and drawing unwanted attention, especially from a hypocritical POTUS so what does Pete and Paul Allen do? They KISS Goodell's behind. Do they REALLY believe that kissing Goodell's arse will get them any where??? How did it help us by letting the NFL ROB us of XL???? Did it get us anything?? NO WAY.

This IS POLITICAL FOOTBALL to use the moniker of one of our long time posters.

Each season I have grown sicker and sicker of listening to all of Pete's LAME EXCUSES as to why him and Schneider can't seem to manage to develop any O-Linemen. SICK of Pete's EXCUSES.

You know what? IMHO we had better turn it around and make it back to the big dance or Paul should FIRE PETE. Any HC who blames his own FAILURES on an outspoken player.

Anyone who lived through then Sonics owner Sam Schulman take apart our NBA Championship team simply because he didn't want to spend any money and Lenny Wilkins who TWICE had been the "toast" of the town side with Schulman and STICK A KNIFE in his BEST PLAYER's back, DENNIS JOHNSON AKA D.J. and actually called him as a "cancer" . Well, the only CANCER was Lenny Wilkins. The Super Sonics NEVER won another Championship and now DON'T EVEN EXIST!

Pete built a championship team, and then, BEFORE they had even hoisted the trophy Pete and John started to TEAR IT APART. The first bone head move was PERCY HARVIN which DIRECTLY led to Golden Tate leaving for Detroit. So MANY idiotic player moves since then. Trading away a Pro-Bowl Center for a T.E. that doesn't WANT to be a T.E. and on and on and on.

I am SICK of Pete Carroll and his lousy EXCUSES if any of the rest of you want to be POLLYANNAS go right ahead and be my guest but if they CUT Sherman then they are CUTTING ME as a fan and until there is a a head coaching and/or an ownership change I will no longer root for the Seahawks IF they CUT my FAVORITE SEAHAWK and the ONLY player whose jersey I own and PROUDLY wear #25 Richard Sherman.

# 25 has ALWAYS been a special Seahawk number for me. It was Don Dufect's number! Anybody else remember Don Dufect?? He was a DB and played mostly on Special Teams since he was not a starting D.B. What I like about Dufect is that Chuck Knox kept cutting him and yet time after time kept bringing him back. He was a real fighter, all heart. I can't remember anybody else wearing #25 for the Seahawks, just Don and Richard but they did the number JUSTICE.

It probably has something to do with the #25 was once MY NUMBER when I played Safety. Richard Sherman has brought nothing but HONOR to the #25 and I hope that the rumour the Seahawks were going to CUT Sherm was just a fevered fantasy of one Ian Rappaport and he is WRONG.

I don't agree at all with this take. I don't doubt that Sherman's/Bennett's actions might have been a small part of the equation, but the three primary ones were (1) salary, (2) health, and (3) age.

If Sherman is traded or released, it will undoubtedly signal that we are in a rebuilding phase. Pete has gutted his coaching staff and now he's gutting his defense, and I'm glad he's doing it. Had he not been proactive like he's been during this offseason, I would have been calling for his head by midseason if we were heading for another 9-7 playoff-less season.

Oh, and nice cartoon, Cbob. Very appropriate.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 am

It’s official. A sad part of the business. Man that dude was a once in a lifetime talent. I don’t see us going back to the Super Bowl without more players that resemble him. Young and hungry.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:11 am

I read a comment somewhere that the writer thought Pete does his best coaching with younger players because after a few years the veterans tune out the rah rah stuff that works in College.
When you consider Sherman's comment about it's just Pete doing his thing again (koombyah comment?), it makes a little sense.
There is a phenomenon where people tune out leaders after a while if the message is the same, so if this is true, we should see a regular turnover of players no matter their talent if they begin to lose their interest in it.
For veterans just coming to the team, it could be refreshing, but for some it could get old fairly quickly.

They released him today and according to Albert Breer of SI, they would want him back at the right price.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:23 am

Yea, and he's airing out some sour grapes as if he doesn't understand the reality of things. I guess I can't blame him, though. He might still have some rubber on the tires, but it's simply not worth what we're paying him. But I wish him luck. He is without a doubt the best cornerback we've ever had and I'll always appreciate what he's done for us.

Interesting thought about Pete's success, or lack thereof, with the younger players vs. the old hands. One of my original concerns when Pete was hired was that his rah rah style might not appeal to older, veteran players.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 pm

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he comes back at a more reasonable number.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Largent80 wrote:I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he comes back at a more reasonable number.

I wouldn't, either, but I also won't be surprised if some team throws far more money at him than we'll be willing or able to.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:45 pm

End of the Legion of Boom. That's too bad. Most fun I've had watching football was watching that unit earn their name. Damn.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:44 pm

More than likely his level of play this year will be off even with a full recovery.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby trents » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Seahawks4ever,

I'm not making excuses for poor judgement with regard to trades and FA acquisitions but much of your tirade is purely sentimental. Don't forget, it's a business first and a sport second.
trents
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Wow SH4E, come on guy, Sherman was great player but the LOB's heart was Kam, and the head was ET. We lost Largent to retirement, he was no Steve Largent. Pete is a used car salesman, these guys are commodities, look at Bill Belichick. Sherman should have been torched 2 years ago, sorry, he was a great cover corner, but this ALL IN attitude for a guy that was all about himself, is a little misplace. Cortez Kennedy was a guy worth going all in on, not Sherm. Pete developed a necessary cold blooded attitude, if they cannot play, they must not stay. Look at all the Holmy projects and clutter he had to get rid of when he came here. On the OL I get it. I think long term, unless we get lucky, that's what will doom us. Pete can't draft a OLineman to save his life. My dad never stopped believing; when he died and left me his VFW hat with a Sea hawk pin on it. Get past it.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:47 pm

A couple things. This game is for young men, and when you near 30 you are getting to that magical point. Either you are good for many years or you fall off the edge. Sherman is on that edge and his injury was significant. Also, his not buying in anymore and his 11 million price is icing on the cake. It's simply time to move on and that is the nature of pro football.

Also....

obiken wrote: Pete can't draft a OLineman to save his life.

All they needed to do was draft Robinson who was there when they chose McDowell, and that would have been the end of it. If they draft Wynn or Hernandez this year, they will be good for years. Plus they still have Odhiambo and Pocic, who are still very young and developing.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm

All they needed to do was draft Robinson who was there when they chose McDowell, and that would have been the end of it. If they draft Wynn or Hernandez this year, they will be good for years. Plus they still have Odhiambo and Pocic, who are still very young and developing.

I agree guy. I think we need to keep ET, but thats just me.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:46 am

As far as whether or not ET gets traded should be up to Earl IMO. We should make a fair offer to extend his current deal and if he's not happy, then trade him. I understand that this is a business and that normally we don't let players call the shots, but Earl's in a different predicament as he's relatively healthy compared to Sherman, Chancellor, and Avril and younger than someone like Bennett. He can be a key figure in our redevelopment process if he wants to stay or he can garner some valuable draft capital should he choose to leave.

The last thing we need is Earl being unhappy, holding out, and causing a big distraction.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:11 am

Old but Slow wrote:Keeping ET is a real pivot point in what they are doing. Keep him and you have a great leader and player, but trade him and you gain badly needed 2d day picks in the draft. There are no other Earl Thomas' out there, but teams are winning without someone like him. And, we have some young, hungry defensive backs on the team who can provide value.

Reluctantly, I am favoring a trade. Mostly because the team is so salary heavy on the D side of the ball, and FS is an easier position to fill than some others that we badly need.

We have some players to build around beyond the obvious Russell, Bobby, KJ, Baldwin group, and with good additions the team can be competitive.

The team (PC) has said that the first priority is to improving the running game. The early strength of the draft is running backs and interior linemen, seems a good fit to me. We lose a HOF FS, in order to get a competitive running game. Makes sense. But sorrowful.

True, and I said in the draft thread that #18 only netted another team a 3rd, so we would need to package possibly a couple of our four 5th rounders to move into a spot to grab a good RB and a OG. Unless we trade Earl.

BY the way the Hawks are going to be considered by Sherman for F.A. http://sports.mynorthwest.com/423113/ri ... an-option/
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 am

According to PFT, as soon as Sherman was cut, Kyle Shanahan got in touch with him and they had dinner together last night.
Adam Schefter reported that he will meet with the team today and a contract could get done.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:44 am

This is exactly why I never lambast athletes holdng out or leveraging more money.... it happens to every player generally. Get what you can, while you can.

Enjoy Canton Mr Sherman. Hopefully you're wearing Seahawks colors when you are inducted.

Disappointing to know Seattle will never have a corner in your realm for the rest of my lifetime, but nature of the NFL.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 am

If they trade ET get ready for at least 2 to 3 years of sub .500 football * maybe longer, you never can tell*....

They trade him, it's full rebuild, might as well dump em all at that point, Wagner, Baldwin etc. Wilson can't carry a team alone, at this point, feels like they following GB model, handful of big name players on D , a franchise QB and a whole lot of nothing else...

Problem is, Wilson, isn't Rodgers, he doesn't elevate the players around him ( at least not to date). Truthfully I'm not particularly interested in making the playoffs most years, but not having enough to get to and win a sb.... like ordering filet mignon and get a hamburger patty.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby hoxgmp » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Pete is doing is best. He has two years left on his contract. At some point, wouldn't mind seeing Nate Hackett added to the coaching staff.

Nice cartoon, Bob.
hoxgmp
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:31 pm

hoxgmp wrote:Pete is doing is best. He has two years left on his contract. At some point, wouldn't mind seeing Nate Hackett added to the coaching staff.

Nice cartoon, Bob.

I heard Clayton the other day say Pete went on some type of diet and it has helped give him more energy and relieve some of the symptoms of arthritis. He went on to say he wouldn't be surprised if
he re-signed here for more years because he felt even at his age and he loves what he's doing.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum