Sherman is officially an enemy

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Sherman is officially an enemy

Postby hoxgmp » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 pm

As per Peter King -

49ers' GM John Lynch during contract negotiations said to Richard Sherman, "We can do this, we can put this in the end zone."

Sherman to Lynch, "I've been on the 1 yard line before and it didn't go very well."

Lynch to Sherman, "I promise you, we won't throw it this time."
hoxgmp
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:15 pm

Grrrrrr.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:18 am

Sometimes I think Richard enjoys playing the part of the victim. I've heard more outrage over our FO letting Sherman go than I have that Sherman is some sort of traitor. Of course, out of the literally millions of Seahawk fans across the nation, one or two might decide to make use of their now outdated #25 to make some sort of a statement, but I'm confident that the overwhelming sentiment amongst Hawks fans is one of gratitude and well wishes.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:46 am

Sherman obviously never hated the 9er's like he said he did. If they are foolish enough to pay him that kind of money it's very easy to see why he took it.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:59 am

I'm confident that the overwhelming sentiment amongst Hawks fans is one of gratitude and well wishes.

Way more of the former than the latter. :)

Sherman obviously never hated the 9er's like he said he did.

Didn't you kinda always think it was whoever was on the other side of the line of scrimmage? I think there are certain players he had zero respect for, but I thought so.

If they are foolish enough to pay him that kind of money it's very easy to see why he took it.

I think this contract sounds like a very good one for the 49ers, with most of the money tied to incentives. If he's a bust, it costs them very little, and if he's an all-pro again, they got him for a reasonable price.

I may have missed something in the contract, though- I'm just going on brief articles I read.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 am

PFT did an article about the contract Sherman negotiated for himself and it's not that good.
Joe Thomas even wade in and declared that it was a terrible deal for him and a great one for SF.

Maybe a big part of it was being able to play closer to home as his career winds down, and that I have no issue with, but from a financial PoV, he could have done better.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 am

From our friend Mike Sando:

1. If Sherman does not get healthy and/or does not play well, the team can get out of the deal painlessly as so little of it is fully guaranteed.

2. If Sherman hits difficult incentives (90% playing time, Pro Bowl honors), the team could lock Sherman in for 2019 at a rate below what he would command after such a great season. If the team does not want to keep him for whatever reason--let's say that the other 49'ers corners blossom or the team strikes gold in the draft--then the team could cut him by April 1 and avoid paying the guarantees. That April 1 date is weeks into free agency, at which time the corner market will be settled. Sherman could be at the 49'ers mercy (if Seattle had held onto Sherman until April 1, he could have been incensed.)

3. Sherman has publicly invested himself in the idea that he negotiated a great deal for himself, which will make it hard for him to credibly complain about this deal in the future.

What I find odd is that the Raiders and the Lions were both supposedly interested in signing Sherman, which leaves one to wonder why Sherman jumped on this deal as quickly as he did. I have a hard time believing that both the Raiders and the Lions would turn down an offer like this if they were truly interested.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 am

Most people refer to me as Asea. If I was wrong about your intent, my apologies.

No, I am sorry guy! I should have caught that!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:31 pm

NorthHawk wrote:PFT did an article about the contract Sherman negotiated for himself and it's not that good.
Joe Thomas even wade in and declared that it was a terrible deal for him and a great one for SF.

Maybe a big part of it was being able to play closer to home as his career winds down, and that I have no issue with, but from a financial PoV, he could have done better.

Reckon it depends on the level of play by Sherman, if he returns to form, win Sherman, if not, still win Sherman just to a lower extent... lol.

That said, people doubting him is what stokes his fire, always has been, and Seattle just added fuel to it. I would never, ever, ever bet against that man proving anybody that doubts him wrong, and Seattle FO just did that, in spades.

My advice is don't throw to that side for two games a year Mr Wilson, or exclusively run short crossing routes, and whatever you do, DO NOT run around like a chicken with your head cut off, and launch a hail Mary in that general direction, ain't no receiver coming down with that ball.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum