Facebook

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: Facebook

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:34 am

burrrton wrote:Again, true, but it's also (arguably more so) because it's a tall order to prove legally, and exponentially so against public figures.

And we know this intuitively- "FAKE NEWS" (and its left-wing analog) would lead to near-infinite numbers of suits being filed across the nation if "libel" were so flippant a charge to be filed, right?

That's true for a lot of crimes. If I get a bogus speeding ticket in Seattle, I'm probably not going to contest it because I'd have to spend an entire day and a 500 mile round trip to go to court over it. I'll just pay the ticket.

And the reverse is also true. In another thread, someone wondered out loud why the LV police didn't charge Michael Bennett with slander by leveling false charges against them.

When you have so few cases that are actually pursued, it's pretty hard to tell how easy or difficult a charge is to prove. I'm sure that there are a lot of cases out there that would be successful if they were pursued. Personally, I wish there were more cases of libel and slander successfully prosecuted, hold people accountable for their words.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:30 am

When you have so few cases that are actually pursued, it's pretty hard to tell how easy or difficult a charge is to prove.

Fair point- I'm just going on what all my lawyer friends have told me over the years. It's not my area of expertise by any stretch.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Hahahaha. I posted this thread before all the latest news but holy s***. If you are dumb enough to continue with Facebook after this you deserve everything that comes your way.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Largent80 wrote:Hahahaha. I posted this thread before all the latest news but holy s***. If you are dumb enough to continue with Facebook after this you deserve everything that comes your way.

How much you want to bet that a vast majority will continue with Facebook?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:How much you want to bet that a vast majority will continue with Facebook?

Facebook is here to stay. Most people are like me: Law abiding, nothing to hide, and not particularily bothered about politicians gaining hold of my political beliefs or habits. If Trump or Putin want to take a run at trying to influence my vote, then go for it.

Now would be a great time to buy some Facebook stock.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:53 am

Facebook is here to stay.

Yup. I go on there about once every 10 years to find out when and where the reunion is being held, but the vast majority are on all day every day and don't give two sh*ts about any of this.
burrrton
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic