Hawks sign a DT

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Hawks sign a DT

Postby Largent80 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Largent80
Legacy

Re: Hawks sign a DT

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Many of these low level signings are of players that are the glue for positional areas. They aren't stars, but they get the job done at a salary that is beneficial relative to the Cap space available.
He might be a good signing for a year and maybe more if he's up to it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Many of these low level signings are of players that are the glue for positional areas. They aren't stars, but they get the job done at a salary that is beneficial relative to the Cap space available.
He might be a good signing for a year and maybe more if he's up to it.

He'll turn 34 before the regular season starts, so I don't see this as being much more than a one and done.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Yeah he’s getting up there in age but still played 70% of the Vikings D snaps last year.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:24 am

LOL, 33 is getting up there in age. Oh to be 33 again. :lol:
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:20 am

This is a solid signing. Inexpensive space eating DT with a lot of experience is exactly what we needed and without breaking the bank. Well done Pete and John.

Think Clinton McDonald when comparing this man.

For what it's worth -

He had more pressures than Sheldon last season (23 vs 16)

He had more sacks than Sheldon last season

He costs roughly a quarter of Sheldon this year (seems to be a $2.1M base)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmEOiE ... r_embedded
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:17 am

It's an OK signing if all you are thinking about is 2018, but at 34 years old, this is not getting younger and building for the future.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:56 am

RiverDog wrote:It's an OK signing if all you are thinking about is 2018, but at 34 years old, this is not getting younger and building for the future.

And spending 12 million on a 31 year old Suh is different how?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:17 am

They also signed Shamar Stephen, DT from Minnesota.
He's only 27 and might be able to stick for a few years as a rotational player.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 am

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2018/03/24 ... ar-stephen

And the signing of these two is a nice way to keep a good DT rotation without draft capital. It's AWESOME. And what the team needs.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:52 am

Largent80 wrote:And spending 12 million on a 31 year old Suh is different how?

I did not advocate signing Suh unless it was to a very team friendly deal, and $12M would not be my idea of 'team friendly.'
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 am

RiverDog wrote:Largent80"]And spending 12 million on a 31 year old Suh is different how?

"I did not advocate signing Suh unless it was to a very team friendly deal, and $12M would not be my idea of 'team friendly.'[/quote]

But you said it was just an "OK signing"..It's not just an ok signing, it gives us exactly what S. Richardson gave us and for 2 million instead of 8 or 12 that Suh wanted..

It doesn't matter that it is a 1 year deal. How many 1 year deals did the Hawks have last year. It's a solid signing for our DL and CHEAP.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Largent80 wrote:But you said it was just an "OK signing"..It's not just an ok signing, it gives us exactly what S. Richardson gave us and for 2 million instead of 8 or 12 that Suh wanted..

It doesn't matter that it is a 1 year deal. How many 1 year deals did the Hawks have last year. It's a solid signing for our DL and CHEAP.

Yea, and he's 6+ years older than Richardson, which is why Schneider was able to find him in the bargain basement and why he was given just a one year deal.

At this point, I've pretty much accepted that 2018 is more than likely going to be a rebuilding year, which is why I don't start doing back flips when we sign a 34 year old DT to a one year contract.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 pm

He certainly seemed to be a productive player but it must be viewed through the prism of being on a filthy aggressive defense with solid players throughout. let's see what he does with our weakened back end of our D and talent drain up front.

I hope Schotty can get the offense going or it might be a long year....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:27 pm

6 years older and produces the same or better numbers at 1/4th the cost = WIN

You can shift shape it any way you want, but the facts are that the guy is an effective player.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Yup, smart, intelligent, BETTER move. Sinking that much of the cap for a downhill DT with so many other holes to fill, would have been moronic.... especially when you've signed a better pass rush, and run stuff, that's more disciplined, for 1/4 the damn cost.... you much name worship, not enough evaluation amongst fans.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:35 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Yup, smart, intelligent, BETTER move. Sinking that much of the cap for a downhill DT with so many other holes to fill, would have been moronic.... especially when you've signed a better pass rush, and run stuff, that's more disciplined, for 1/4 the damn cost.... you much name worship, not enough evaluation amongst fans.

I am in the same boat, glad we didn't sign him at $14 mil/year given the moves we have made since FA started, but I disagree that he is a 'downhill DT.' Claiming that people wanting him are 'name worshiping' is just BS. Maybe you should work on your evaluation. I know you say he's undisciplined but he had the most TFL's and sacks combined for DT's last year. He is still a disruptive force that constantly requires double teams.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:25 am

I am still in the camp of drafting one of several OG that will be there for Seattle. Wynn is my personal fav. We MUST keep the middle of the line solid.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:29 am

Plus there is this from Dickson.......“I’m a blocker first,” Dickson said. “I pride myself (on it). When I came out of college, they talked about how I was a pass-catcher… don’t get me wrong, I love to be a pass catcher, but I consider myself an all-around tight end. I’m not afraid to stick my nose in there and block for my running backs, and whoever, even Russell on the couple runs that he’s got. If I had to explain myself as a tight end, I’d much rather see my teammates shine, my running backs, my receivers shine, than my own self. I’ve never been a personal stat guy. Do I want a Pro Bowl? Sure. But I’d much rather have a Super Bowl over a Pro Bowl any day.”

We will have a much better running attack regardless of Suh and Donald, remember, the Rams lost Ogletree and Quinn.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:16 am

Well since three days after I said that, multiple other men paid to evaluate talent for NFL teams past and present saying the same exact thing, almost verbatim makes me ok with my evaluation skills, at least in regards to Suh...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:14 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Well since three days after I said that, multiple other men paid to evaluate talent for NFL teams past and present saying the same exact thing, almost verbatim makes me ok with my evaluation skills, at least in regards to Suh...

And multiple others paid to evaluate talent past and present are saying the opposite. It works both ways. In the end based on the Hawks moves after FA started and his overall price it is a good thing the Hawks didn’t sign him, but would it really surprise you if he had a big year next year? You keep mentioning he is in decline but he has the MOST tackles/sacks at the LOS or in the backfield for DTs in the league last year. That’s more than Donald(Suh 23.5 to Donald’s 22). You can keep calling him a player in decline, and that might be true to a certain extent as he isn’t putting up dominant sack numbers from the DT position, but he never really did. He is as tough as anybody to block in the league as a DT and offenses have to scheme around him. Now they have to scheme around him and Donald on the DL, which is going to be tough.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:12 am

And now the Rams might be making a move to get their hands on Odell Beckham:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why- ... oth-teams/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:21 am

RiverDog wrote:And now the Rams might be making a move to get their hands on Odell Beckham:

They're going all out this year. If you're a Lambs fan you got nothing to complain about and if you're their coaching staff or front office you got no excuses.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:09 am

The price seems to be 2-1st round picks, this year's and next, and he's a free agent in 2019, so they could be getting him just for the one season. If your the Giants and in a rebuilding mode anyway, you'd have to see this potential trade as an attractive prospect.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Based on his production for the last four seasons, his attitude, his lack of discipline, a new system, and having a vastly superior player playing next to him? Yes, it indeed would surprise me if he had a big year....

In Seattle, it would have been even worse than what has occurred with bona fide pass rushers off the edge. his play has steadily decreased.... he never has been as dominant as he was the first three years in the league. That's simply the truth of the matter.... if you were wanting pass rush/ pressure, there was a CHEAPER, more productive lineman Seattle just gave away for basically a bag of Doritos. I'm not lamenting that move much, but the truth is that player created more pressure, and had more sacks, at 3/4 the cost, and did so injured, and was more versatile, so the idea that you improve by paying more, for less performance, worse attitude, less discipline is never gonna jive with me.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:03 pm

A bit of information about how they plan to use the new DT's:

Barkevious Mingo was their top priority and will play Bruce Irvin's role. It means more pass rush opportunities for him than his last few years.

"Despite Tom Johnson being a Vikings starter last season, the Seahawks want his former teammate who trekked to Seattle with him, Shamar Stephen, to be a starter over Johnson this year. Henderson notes Stephen, not Johnson, is in line to start alongside nose tackle Jarran Reed. Seattle’s eyeing the soon-to-be 34-year-old Johnson as a rotational presence. A 16-game starter for the 2016 Vikings, Stephen played a depth role behind Johnson and Linval Joseph last season."

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/ ... s-matthews
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:49 pm

RiverDog wrote:And now the Rams might be making a move to get their hands on Odell Beckham:

Rams acquire Brandon Cooks from the Pats and a 4th for a 1st and a 6th.
Crazy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pa ... spartanntp
Clem7
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:30 am

Clem, the Rams are loading up. Obs, who knows with Bili, but I have to think he will go after a CB, and a WR, or a LT.
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum