Get Off Pete!

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Get Off Pete!

Postby obiken » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Ok, he has made a lot of mistakes, no doubt about that, and NO one has been more critical of the man than I have. Never the less, he is the only coach we have had that WON a Super Bowl; The only one in Seahawk history that went to the playoffs more than two years in a row; and RW is still all in on the man. So get off him. I am sick of all the: "he has lost the locker room crap," get new guys till he has it again.
obiken
Legacy

Re: Get Off Pete!

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:45 am

There's only one poster here that's advocating that Pete get fired.

But I'll have to tell you, if he hadn't recognized the problems with this team that had caused us to slide into mediocrity and decided to shake things up, I wouldn't have been very far behind. We've had some bad drafts, made bad trades, and made some bad FA signings over the past 5 years, and the chickens have finally come home to roost. Pete and John seem to have lost their magic, and need to get it back and get it back quickly, starting with a potential Earl trade and the upcoming draft.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:30 am

There's only one poster here that's advocating that Pete get fired.But I'll have to tell you, if he hadn't recognized the problems with this team that had caused us to slide into mediocrity and decided to shake things up, I wouldn't have been very far behind. We've had some bad drafts, made bad trades, and made some bad FA signings over the past 5 years, and the chickens have finally come home to roost. Pete and John seem to have lost their magic, and need to get it back and get it back quickly, starting with a potential Earl trade and the upcoming draft.

Actually there were a couple but the real issue is I agree with you. Pete's drafting on OLineman is atrocious, and no doubt some of his FA pick ups were either left overs, or panic grabs. We also need to find a RB in a hurry; I am not in on trading ET unless we can get a 1st rounder out of him, which I have serious doubts about. IF that were not the case unloading Sherm for a first rounder would have been a done deal. IF we cannot, I say tag him, till his 30th birthday. You and I were on Pete's case 2 years ago, I never have been for dropping back, I was not for picking up Richardson, and not all in on the JG trade, although that was not all his fault. Pete gets two more years and then like any coach, its bye bye.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:42 am

One can at least say that they tried to maximize the window last year with 2 good linemen on both sides of the ball. When that failed a hard examination and thorough douching was needed and it is in progress. The difference is when they first got here, they had an old Hass, Charlie Whitehurst, et al at QB, this time they have RW, DB, and TL. MUCH more to work with, and have done exactly what they could in FA so far.

They are going to have to trade back multiple times to have a decent draft because of the gamble of last year and I applaud them for doing so. I also applaud them for getting rid of Sherman and Bennett, they can be replaced with young players eager to prove themselves that will buy into the program.

On another note, ET could NOT be happy with the contract Mathieu just signed. It comes out to about 7 mil a year. Bad news for ET and his demands So what remains is, will JS and Pete get a team to cough up what they want.....We shall see.

Hawks will have up to and possibly over 100 mil in cap next year and a much better draft pick selection.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:32 am

Which is more likely the "coaching" you are going to get out of Pete? His first 4 seasons in which he coached the team to the play offs, tore down the team, returned to the play offs one season after the rebuild then two SB appearances OR every season SINCE the SB loss to N.E.????????????????

I say it is every season SINCE that fiasco in the Super Bowl. IF Bevell had NOT gone into "play not to lose" mode (probably directed to by PC) we would have won Going away. Again and again and again PC put too much pressure of the defense in general and the LOB in particular. Then, after that game PC and JS have made some of the most head scratching draft choices and player moves. Don't expect that to END!

LOSER Bud Grant, that IS the genesis ROOT of coaching tree Pete Carrol sprung from. An earlier disciple was Marty Shottenheimer, another LOSER especially in BIG GAMES.

It was a MIRACLE that Pete was able to win at least ONE Lombardi because it is in his DNA to CHOKE. But, the defense with the LOB signed. sealed, and delivered that win.

Under Pete, the Hawks may make the play offs once in a while but don't expect them to make any noise. The only way Pete will make it to any more Super Bowls will be with a ticket.

P.S. I wanted a NEW O.C. not a retead who will be WORSE (if that is possible) than Darrell Bevell so GL all of you Petie Lovers.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Which is more likely the "coaching" you are going to get out of Pete? His first 4 seasons in which he coached the team to the play offs, tore down the team, returned to the play offs one season after the rebuild then two SB appearances OR every season SINCE the SB loss to N.E.????????????????

I say it is every season SINCE that fiasco in the Super Bowl. IF Bevell had NOT gone into "play not to lose" mode (probably directed to by PC) we would have won Going away. Again and again and again PC put too much pressure of the defense in general and the LOB in particular. Then, after that game PC and JS have made some of the most head scratching draft choices and player moves. Don't expect that to END!

LOSER Bud Grant, that IS the genesis ROOT of coaching tree Pete Carrol sprung from. An earlier disciple was Marty Shottenheimer, another LOSER especially in BIG GAMES.

It was a MIRACLE that Pete was able to win at least ONE Lombardi because it is in his DNA to CHOKE. But, the defense with the LOB signed. sealed, and delivered that win.

Under Pete, the Hawks may make the play offs once in a while but don't expect them to make any noise. The only way Pete will make it to any more Super Bowls will be with a ticket.

P.S. I wanted a NEW O.C. not a retead who will be WORSE (if that is possible) than Darrell Bevell so GL all of you Petie Lovers.

I think Mora is still available.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:43 am

Why dont you just be an SF fan. Your boy is there and they are on the upswing. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Seahawkgal » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Largent80 wrote:Why dont you just be an SF fan. Your boy is there and they are on the upswing. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

:lol:
I can’t wait for these crybabies to jump on another bandwagon.
Seahawkgal
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:47 pm

And our defense in their prime blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead in the following SB and chose to blame the loss on "the play".
Clem7
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:18 pm

RiverDog wrote:There's only one poster here that's advocating that Pete get fired.

But I'll have to tell you, if he hadn't recognized the problems with this team that had caused us to slide into mediocrity and decided to shake things up, I wouldn't have been very far behind. We've had some bad drafts, made bad trades, and made some bad FA signings over the past 5 years, and the chickens have finally come home to roost. Pete and John seem to have lost their magic, and need to get it back and get it back quickly, starting with a potential Earl trade and the upcoming draft.

Pete's always compete mentality only works if everyone has a shot at winning the starting job. Does anyone here think that if Sherman, Wagner, ET, Kam, KJ, Bennett, Avril, etc slacked off in practice that they would be able to win the starting job? NOPE! Therefore, Pete had lost the thing that makes his teams great, competition.

With this wholesale change, he has a chance to introduce that philosophy again to the team. Plus, many of the new guys won't have heard his stories that Sherman was so tired of...
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 am

I'm not on the fire PC or JS mode yet but this season looks ominous with a complete coaching staff overhaul, a loss of most of the defensive stars and maybe ET to boot. Add to that a division that has gone from manageable to formidable with the hottest team at year end now with Sherman on the roster. His biting quotes about everyone having heard Petes rah rah college stories over and over and playing his college concepts on the field was borne of a sense of betrayal but has the ring of truth. Rah Rah guys only have so long a shelf life and then people quit listening or believing anymore. Coaches who do the same things over and over get figured out in the absence of dominating talent.

If this team makes the playoffs it will be a surprise to me and if it indeed is a 7-9 type season its time to look at Pete and frankly JS as well. What have you done for me lately? NFL stands for "not for long" in the words of the loquacious Jerry Glanville.

I'm old enough to remember the trust in Tim slogan after his stellar 2005 draft and FA moves led to our first SB appearance. Then came the Hutch disaster. But the trajectory was similar. 2 more playoff appearances then 3 years later the team was 4-12 and he was run out of town on a rail.Granted Seattle won more than they lost last year but saying they were a play here and there from 11-5 is whistling in the graveyard. They were also a play or two away from 7-9 or worse.

Not too many GMs last forever and JS has an opportunity to prove hes a cut above, never more so after theis house cleaning. We shall see. Id just hate to see Wilson's career derailed in his prime because right now it looks like hes our only chance in the near term and if that's how it goes he will want to be gone when his deal expires. If I were JS Id be looking to extend him right now or talk about cap hell or a fan revolt in a couple of years when he holds out or demands a trade from a sinking ship.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:44 am

It’s so interesting that we, the middle aged couch potato, think we know anything about what’s really what. Since the combo of Pete, John, & RW have been together - our worst season (punctuated by blown game winning field goal after major injury) was 9-7. R E L A X!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 am

Hawk Sista wrote:It’s so interesting that we, the middle aged couch potato, think we know anything about what’s really what. Since the combo of Pete, John, & RW have been together - our worst season (punctuated by blown game winning field goal after major injury) was 9-7. R E L A X!

That type of thinking leads to mediocrity, which is why Pete is making such wholesale changes in both the coaching staff as well as the roster. Despite the otherwise encouraging results, this team is not a SB contender. Instead of taking the glass half full look which is what a 9-7 encourages, he's saying he wants the glass either full to the brim or dry as a bone.

That's why I'm cutting Pete some slack. Had he not woke up and smelled the roses, it wouldn't have taken me very long to jump off the bandwagon.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 am

Hawk Sista wrote:It’s so interesting that we, the middle aged couch potato, think we know anything about what’s really what. Since the combo of Pete, John, & RW have been together - our worst season (punctuated by blown game winning field goal after major injury) was 9-7. R E L A X!

RiverDog wrote:That type of thinking leads to mediocrity ...

Oh come on it does not. Us as fans relaxing and enjoying the ride has nothing to do with what John and Pete do. You go ahead and stress all you want, I'm relaxing with Sis.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:21 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Oh come on it does not. Us as fans relaxing and enjoying the ride has nothing to do with what John and Pete do. You go ahead and stress all you want, I'm relaxing with Sis.

Actually I'm not stressing at all. I've resigned myself to the fact that we weren't that good quite some time ago and I'm not expecting very much in the next year or two...not to mention that since I've hit the rocking chair, the only stress I experience is trying to figure out what day of the week it is.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:53 am

You’ve resigned to telling us you told us so, RD. ;) You were right about Pete’s Rah-Rah style, you were right that Bevel should have been fired.... etc.

I’m all for the needed changes, but let’s not rewrite history. The Hawks have been good these last 6 years. During that stretch (w/ 2 SB trips) they fielded the best teams in franchise history. In December last year (before our injuries mounted to devastating levels), we were right there for the playoffs again. What would our record have been this last year with just a few of the following: a healthy Sherm, Kam, Cliff, Chris Carson, CJ Procise, Fant, a decent kicker?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:You’ve resigned to telling us you told us so, RD. ;) You were right about Pete’s Rah-Rah style, you were right that Bevel should have been fired.... etc.

I’m all for the needed changes, but let’s not rewrite history. The Hawks have been good these last 6 years. During that stretch (w/ 2 SB trips) they fielded the best teams in franchise history. In December last year (before our injuries mounted to devastating levels), we were right there for the playoffs again. What would our record have been this last year with just a few of the following: a healthy Sherm, Kam, Cliff, Chris Carson, CJ Procise, Fant, a decent kicker?

I'm not rewriting anything. Sure, we were good, but not that good. My point is that 3 consecutive years of under performing and failing to meet expectations is a trend, not just some stroke of bad luck as some would have us believe.

Our current roster has matured. We no longer find a way to win when we're playing poorly, like those Tampa Bay and Texans games in 2013, or the Packers game in the NFCCG in the 2014 season. Our team has lost its identity, and all complaining about injuries or the kicker does is rationalize our problems and perpetuates this malaise that has enveloped this franchise. I agree with the poster that said Sherman's complaints about Pete's message is emblematic of the attitude our core players have adapted.

The time has come to clean house, bring in a fresh set of coaches along with young, impressionable, and hungry ball players. I had to wait 37 years for our first Lombardi, so it's no problem for me to wait another couple of years for Pete to get us back in the mix for another.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 am

River, I have always agreed. We could run the ball and stop the run, now we can't. However, after you win the SB everyone bails that's marginal. we lost a boatload of good backups. The biggest problem with the cap is keeping quality backups. You were more right on Bevell than I was. I don't think we have completely replaced Dan Quinn, and the great experiment has gone awry, but so have some of these guys wanting to show Pete the Door! Give Pete a chance for 2 more years, he has earned it. I am more hopeful for Kenny Norton than most of you. IF only we could have won the 2nd one! We stand a good chance of being the Chiefs, Jets, and Bears. Only one and done. I see darkness in the near future not because of what P and J have done, but how much the rest of the NFC and NFC West has improved.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 am

Richard was a Quinn clone. He ran the same defense. It's not the coach. It's players that aged, that became jaded and forgot what got them into the lineup in the first place. The Hawks took too long to act on the coaches and then the players.

That has changed and I'm very happy about ALL of these changes. It's what we all asked for, so bitching about it is ridiculous.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 am

Largent80 wrote:Richard was a Quinn clone. He ran the same defense. It's not the coach. It's players that aged, that became jaded and forgot what got them into the lineup in the first place. The Hawks took too long to act on the coaches and then the players.

That has changed and I'm very happy about ALL of these changes. It's what we all asked for, so bitching about it is ridiculous.

Right, unlike CFB, I don't think you need a great OC to win. You do need a great DC, I am excited about Ken Norton. We'll see.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:34 am

I'm hopeful about Norton, too.
He seemed to bring the energy on Defense and when he left, they became less impassioned. Whether it was maturity or if Richard is more intellectual than enthusiastic, I don't know.
Norton didn't do as well running Del Rio's Defense in Oakland. I hope he's much more comfortable back in a Defense he knows inside and out and is able to coach while not feeling restrained in any way.
His energy and enthusiasm should also play better with younger players, too.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:47 am

When Norton left our defense slid. Del Rio is now fired.

Guess what?...I expect improvement rather than regression this year in spite of the losses of defensive talent.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:27 am

Largent80 wrote:When Norton left our defense slid. Del Rio is now fired.

Guess what?...I expect improvement rather than regression this year in spite of the losses of defensive talent.

I kinda do too, I have always been impressed with Norton.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Get off Pete? Puleeze! Do you know how many Head Coaches , even Super Bowl winning Head Coaches, even multiple Super Bowl winning Head Coaches have been FIRED because ownership and/or management had come to the conclusion that what ever "magic" they once had they don't have it any more.

Have you heard of the likes of Hank Stram, Don Shula, Tom Flores, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, even Tom Couphlin and I didn't even name them ALL!!

Now, what has Pete shown the last 4 seasons that shouts out that he will buck his recent trend and begin to coach the Seahawks to a championship level again? I mean, in all due respect all Pete has shown he is good at is making excuses and blaming other factors and other people for the mediocrity we find ourselves in.

If some of the all time great head coaches can be fired then so can Pete Carroll and he had better turn it around or I guarantee you we will be discussing our NEW head coach next year at this time.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Puleeze!

I can't see that without thinking of the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Get rid of Wilson

Pick up Kaep or maybe Johnny Football

Hire Jim hairball ASAP

All problems solved
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:21 am

It's still Pete's defense. Read that Pete was unhappy how Richard was running it (gap discipline), and from watching last year, would say that is true. Norton will run it the way Pete wants, and that's a good thing. As for JS.......
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Turns out we COULD have retained the services of one De Shawn Shead CB for 1.05 mil. a year but PC told the press that that was TOO much to pay for a DB.

WHAT??? OH. I GET I, DB's are going to take the place of the O-Line and will NOW be the unit where our Seahawks will "pinch pennies"!

Good Grief PEOPLE!!! How can most of you act like ostriches and bury your head in the sand and pretend that Pete has NOT lost his MIND as well as his midas touch.

Maybe you will change your mind when the Hawks AGAIN have a LOSING record at home this season and start the season at 2-6 because THAT is MY prediction, that the Hawks will start the 2018-19 season at 2-6 and I don't even know WHO the opponents are. That IS how little faith I have in PC and his side kick Jon Schneider.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:39 am

Who needs a CB that can't turn towards the ball while it's in the air?....Also one that played ZERO snaps all of last year because of injury?

With so many players needing to be replaced what the hell are you expecting?

They jettisoned Bennett who is now charged with a felony. Got rid of the injured/loudmouthed Sherman and you go off.

When the Hawks have success this year in spite of all the changes, YOU are not invited, SUCK IT. GTFO. (Google it if you need to).
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Turns out we COULD have retained the services of one De Shawn Shead CB for 1.05 mil. a year but PC told the press that that was TOO much to pay for a DB.

WHAT??? OH. I GET I, DB's are going to take the place of the O-Line and will NOW be the unit where our Seahawks will "pinch pennies"!

Good Grief PEOPLE!!! How can most of you act like ostriches and bury your head in the sand and pretend that Pete has NOT lost his MIND as well as his midas touch.

Maybe you will change your mind when the Hawks AGAIN have a LOSING record at home this season and start the season at 2-6 because THAT is MY prediction, that the Hawks will start the 2018-19 season at 2-6 and I don't even know WHO the opponents are. That IS how little faith I have in PC and his side kick Jon Schneider.

Come on man, your reaching for a slap on this one. Shead was not that valuable.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:38 am

Shead was valuable for his versatility, but he never could crack the starting lineup on a regular basis.
We could have used him at the right price, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 am

I'd happily bet against Seahawks4Ever's prediction that the Hawks will start out 2-6. Any takers?
I-5
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:52 am

He was brought up through the system and had the benefit of being in the LOB. But after he got his starting role, he was the weak link, then injured and missed all of last year. Bye and thanks, but no regrets here.
Largent80
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum