Was Luke Wilson pulling our leg?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Was Luke Wilson pulling our leg?

Postby PapaJeff » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:15 am

I have heard on the sport radio talk show(s) that Luke Wilson (1) believed that the US did NOT go to the moon, (that it was all staged, a big cover-up, conspiracy theorist, stuff, etc.), (2) might have been a member of the Flat Earth Society and and (3) basically had no use for dogs whatsoever.

I guess my question is, "In your opinion, did he REALLY REALLY believe these things (especially that the US never went to the Moon) ..... or .... is he just laughing inside and it was all just a little fun he was having at everyone's expense. What he said about dogs made me think that he was just trying to see how easy it would be to pull our legs and see how gullible we are. Tell me that he didn't really believe that crap!

OH .... by the way .. there are members of the Flat Earth Society all across the "globe" :-)
PapaJeff
Legacy

Re: Was Luke Wilson pulling our leg?

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am

Flatearthers are morons, whether they play football or ask "do you want fries with that" ... and I suspect that, with this as a first post you've either got an agenda or are a pot stirrer.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:38 am

PapaJeff wrote:I have heard on the sport radio talk show(s) that Luke Wilson (1) believed that the US did NOT go to the moon, (that it was all staged, a big cover-up, conspiracy theorist, stuff, etc.), (2) might have been a member of the Flat Earth Society and and (3) basically had no use for dogs whatsoever.

I guess my question is, "In your opinion, did he REALLY REALLY believe these things (especially that the US never went to the Moon) ..... or .... is he just laughing inside and it was all just a little fun he was having at everyone's expense. What he said about dogs made me think that he was just trying to see how easy it would be to pull our legs and see how gullible we are. Tell me that he didn't really believe that crap!

OH .... by the way .. there are members of the Flat Earth Society all across the "globe" :-)

Welcome to The Shack, Pops!

But I don't understand why you're asking us about the beliefs of a former Seahawk player. I would like to think that Luke isn't a nut case like those that believe that the moon landings were faked, but it's a pretty pointless question and fits into the category of "what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?"
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby PapaJeff » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:36 am

So this is what it is like to join this forum. The first responder suggests that I have an "agenda" (whatever the hell, that is!). The second responder asks me what does this have to do with the tea in China. Well, at least the responses weren't full of profanity and a million misspelled words.

Yes, I obviously believe that Flat Landers would have to have problems "upstairs". But, that's just the thing. Luke appears to be an intelligent dude. A group of us were discussing the things that Luke had said and it was suggested that possibly he was just trying to "put one over on all of us" and it was suggested that I join a forum and try to get a community consensus. I am actually HOPING that he was just fooling everybody and wasn't really serious.

Maybe I made a mistake and I should have posted this in that other post area (for non-football related items)
PapaJeff
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:45 am

Do you have a link to what was said?
I'd like to have the full context of the comments before giving an opinion.
He's never shown himself to be a dufuss previously so I take it with a grain of salt at this point.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby PapaJeff » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:08 am

Luke was sort of a "regular" guest on Radio 710 Sports. On multiple occasions, Luke said on air that he believes that the US never made it to the moon and it was just a big hoax. I (and other friends of mine) have heard him say that more than once). My most recent memory involved quite a long on-air discussion between Jim Moore (Mr. Coug :-( and Luke regarding Luke's disdain of dogs. I entered this discussion assuming that most folks have heard Luke say this on-air multiple times.
PapaJeff
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:26 am

PapaJeff wrote:So this is what it is like to join this forum. The first responder suggests that I have an "agenda" (whatever the hell, that is!). The second responder asks me what does this have to do with the tea in China. Well, at least the responses weren't full of profanity and a million misspelled words.

Yes, I obviously believe that Flat Landers would have to have problems "upstairs". But, that's just the thing. Luke appears to be an intelligent dude. A group of us were discussing the things that Luke had said and it was suggested that possibly he was just trying to "put one over on all of us" and it was suggested that I join a forum and try to get a community consensus. I am actually HOPING that he was just fooling everybody and wasn't really serious.

Maybe I made a mistake and I should have posted this in that other post area (for non-football related items)

Sorry for the rather rude welcome, but you'll have to admit that the topic you chose for your first musing was a bit curious and at least to me seemed to be irrelevant. We've had pot stirring posters, a.k.a. trolls, come in here before, usually from rival fan bases, so we do have some justification for our suspicions. And as North Hawk noted, it's pretty hard to make a comment unless you provide a direct quote or some sort of a link to an article or video.

Just as a suggestion, you might try commenting on some of the topics we already have running until you get a feel for our group. Hope you stick around.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:32 am

PapaJeff wrote:Luke was sort of a "regular" guest on Radio 710 Sports. On multiple occasions, Luke said on air that he believes that the US never made it to the moon and it was just a big hoax. I (and other friends of mine) have heard him say that more than once). My most recent memory involved quite a long on-air discussion between Jim Moore (Mr. Coug :-( and Luke regarding Luke's disdain of dogs. I entered this discussion assuming that most folks have heard Luke say this on-air multiple times.

I'm in eastern Washington so I don't get 710. Most of the sports talk programs I listen to are the nationally syndicated ones such as ESPN, NFL Network, and SiriusXM. What you've said you've heard from Luke is news to me.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:58 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Flatearthers are morons, whether they play football or ask "do you want fries with that" ... and I suspect that, with this as a first post you've either got an agenda or are a pot stirrer.

The earth is flat, c-bob. And Galileo was wrong, the earth is the center of the universe. You can't prove that a man walked on the moon. Our government was lying to us. It was set up in a sound stage. You're far too trusting. And dogs suck. They are not the loyal, protective creatures that have evolved with man to become one of our best protectors and companions.

And I don't believe any of that. People that do are damn dumb. If Luke Willson believes any of that, he's patently ignoring visual evidence to the contrary. Though I do have one buddy that believes the moon landing was staged. He truly believes it. Pretty nuts.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:59 am

Luke was always a good interview, and I often wondered if he was just playing around with the host and audience because he came across as just a guy BS'ing with his friends, so who knows if he meant it or not.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm in eastern Washington so I don't get 710.

AM 1340 carries it here (Brock & Salk / Danny, Dave, & Moore / Bob, Tom, & Groz / etc).
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:46 pm

I thought he was joking at first but he kept it up over the course of time so I came to the conclusion that he indeed believes ( not believes ) that we landed multiple people on the Moon and brought them back safely, among other harmless delusions.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:28 pm

burrrton wrote:AM 1340 carries it here (Brock & Salk / Danny, Dave, & Moore / Bob, Tom, & Groz / etc).

Thanks, Burr, that's good to know. However, I quite enjoy my SiriusXM stations.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:36 pm

I think he pulled our finger for all those years, because he stunk.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:37 pm

RiverDog wrote:Thanks, Burr, that's good to know. However, I quite enjoy my SiriusXM stations.

I'm XM's b*tch, but if you want to catch Seahawk (or Ms) talk, that's where you need to tune. :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Yeah whenever I go through eastern Washington/Oregon I always pull up that station (1340). Of course you can always stream 710. By far the best sports talk radio in the Northwest.
I have at least one friend who is a flat earther. Since I have a Master’s in the earth sciences, this is beyond conceivable to me. Happy Easter :)
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 pm

PapaJeff wrote:So this is what it is like to join this forum. The first responder suggests that I have an "agenda" (whatever the hell, that is!). The second responder asks me what does this have to do with the tea in China. Well, at least the responses weren't full of profanity and a million misspelled words.

I wouldn't say this is what the forum's like, I'd say this was just the fish you caught with that bait ... this time ... if a different poster had come across that post first you'd likely have had a substantially different ensuing thread. Instead you got me. Darn.

Don't let that dissuade you from another cast though, if Riv vouchers for you you're welcome here.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:05 am

Surveys have shown that about 6-7% of the American public think that the moon landings were faked, and when you combine that with surveys that show that 11% of young American adults can't find the Pacific Ocean on a map then the former percentage shouldn't be too surprising.

Myth Busters, one of my favorite non sports TV program, repeated an experiment that proves there is man made equipment on the surface of the moon that was left there by NASA astronauts:

http://www.moonlandinghoax.org/8.html
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:07 pm

I remember back in like 69 as a kid asking my mom, if they are the first people to get to the moon, how are they filming it for TV? She couldn't answer me then and no one can answer me now.

Just something to think about.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:13 pm

idhawkman wrote:I remember back in like 69 as a kid asking my mom, if they are the first people to get to the moon, how are they filming it for TV? She couldn't answer me then and no one can answer me now.

Just something to think about.

Here ya go!

A lever inside the lunar module was built to a release a mechanical mount on the outside. This was spring loaded with a camera attached. The camera was already pointing toward the ladder. Why does a camera have to have someone looking through its viewfinder to record anything?

Any child with a Mechano Set could build something similar. The first remote TV system like this was invented in 1942 (Next page down on the menu)... It's not Rocket Science!

http://www.moonlandinghoax.org/20.html
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:48 pm

When I asked my mom, it wasn't when they filmed the first steps on the moon, it was when the lunar lander was descending to the moon. That wasn't a spring loaded arm.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:09 pm

My parents, and even myself later, worked for North American aviation/Rockwell INTL for both the Gemini and Apollo missions, and the Space Shuttle.

We in fact landed on the moon multiple times.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:12 pm

idhawkman wrote:When I asked my mom, it wasn't when they filmed the first steps on the moon, it was when the lunar lander was descending to the moon. That wasn't a spring loaded arm.

NASA was a collection of some of the greatest thinkers in the world at the time- do you think a detail like that would have slipped their minds and only occurred to the conspiracy cranks?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:41 pm

idhawkman wrote:When I asked my mom, it wasn't when they filmed the first steps on the moon, it was when the lunar lander was descending to the moon. That wasn't a spring loaded arm.

Yea, it was.

The camera was mounted as such so that when the spring loaded arm released it, it would be pointed towards the ladder on the adjacent landing gear. That's why when you saw Armstrong take his first step by jumping off the bottom rung of the ladder, he sort of went out of sight as the camera was in a fixed position. Had that been a human operating the camera, they would have kept the image in the center of the view finder.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:52 pm

burrrton wrote:NASA was a collection of some of the greatest thinkers in the world at the time- do you think a detail like that would have slipped their minds and only occurred to the conspiracy cranks?

Yes, they were. And the odd thing was that Mission Control didn't have very many PhD's working for them. Most were young men in their mid 20's fresh out of college with a BA/BS or in some cases a Masters degree.

One of the better documentaries I've seen on the space program is "Failure is Not An Option", which looks at the program through the eyes of the NASA controllers...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381176/

Gene Kranz, one of the mission controllers, wrote a book by the same title that is a must read if you are a space program junkie like I was.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawkgal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:04 am

Who is Luke Wilson? I know of Russell Wilson, but no Luke. ;)
Seahawkgal
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Seahawkgal wrote:Who is Luke Wilson? I know of Russell Wilson, but no Luke. ;)

He was a tight end for us for the past 3 years. He just signed a free agent contract with the Lions. Oh, and he spells his last name with two "L"'s.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Luke was so tight he often failed to make the easiest of catches after hauling in a hard one.

Luke, Luke, the force remember the force Luke! think he is Skywalker's demented cousin.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum