Seahawks Draft

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Largent80 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:25 pm

So far my last post has played out a week later. The Hawks signed a TE in F.A. They may pick up a WR, but I really don't see them adding anyone else. Suh would be great because honestly, the rotation on the D line right now is thin as in very, and the college prospects are not overwhelming.

Time to focus on the draft and the Earl situation. I would hate to lose him but if the Hawks can reap a good benefit in picks I would go for it. With 90 Million to spend next year and a bunch of picks we may just have to wait it out for the following year but who knows?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Hawks are in the plus column so far in comp picks as also a team just signed Tobin to a 1yr deal. This will give back a 4th so as is they have 2 fourths. Hopefully Willson signs with a team and that will gain an additional 4.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 am

With the Rams getting Suh, the Hawks need to draft OG, hell, even before them getting Suh they needed OG regardless of the Fluker signing.

Isiah Wynn please.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 am

Largent80 wrote:Hawks are in the plus column so far in comp picks as also a team just signed Tobin to a 1yr deal. This will give back a 4th so as is they have 2 fourths. Hopefully Willson signs with a team and that will gain an additional 4.

I read a comment the other day saying we shouldn't expect any comps next year because of all of the FA's we signed this year.
I'm not sure of the formula, but it's worth looking into.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:49 am

I think after all the signings we are only a plus one. Kinda depends on if any of our FA get signed, and not seeing it.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 am

I give you about a 70% chance of being right.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Draft is a month away and the more I think about it the more I think the Hawks pick a QB later on especially if they trade back and get a couple 3rds.

RW will be entering the next year in a contract extension mode and looking at the last time this happened, it wasn't a smooth ride. Taking a flyer with a 3rd at QB isn't a bad idea at this point, if nothing else it may solve back up QB and cheaply for a few years.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:24 pm

We can speculate all day but in the end our speculation is about as good as used toilet paper.

CBbob, over the years the one big thing I have noticed about you and I, is we have an honest difference of opinion on trading down. Your for it and I am not. I just think that trying to expend and pick 2 good players per draft is what its all about. I am not saying the shot gun method is wrong, I just prefer a bolt action rifle!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:59 am

This years draft happens to be top heavy with Seattles needs and the meat and potatoes are in the 2nd and 3rd rounds where we currently do NOT have any picks.

If there ever was a year to trade back, then it is this year.

Also, the 5th round will be excellent for stocking depth on defense.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:43 am

I agree about trading down in the first, but we need a dance partner. But yea, especially with our propensity to trade down at the top of the draft, there's a big for sale sign on that #18 overall.

I don't see us taking a QB in this draft. We just have too many gaps to take a player that at best is a backup that won't see the field. But I do see us taking a PK in the 7th.

Rumor has it that New England wants a QB, but they no longer have a first round pick but they have 2 picks in the 2nd, #43 and #63.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 am

We can speculate all day but in the end our speculation is about as good as used toilet paper.

obiken wrote:CBbob, over the years the one big thing I have noticed about you and I, is we have an honest difference of opinion on trading down. Your for it and I am not. I just think that trying to expend and pick 2 good players per draft is what its all about. I am not saying the shot gun method is wrong, I just prefer a bolt action rifle!

Not sure who you're quoting OBI, I didn't say that ...

For what it's worth though, I like targeting specific draft choices as well. But more is gooder.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:33 am

c_hawkbob wrote:But more is gooder.

Has it been awhile since you've played Scrabble? :D
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:47 am

A very long while.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:05 pm

The Seahawks attended both pro days of Darnold and Allen. 2 QBs they have no chance of getting or really want. That is a clear message about the future. RW is 29 and hedging about the future makes sense right now.

Kirk friggin Cousins has a fully guaranteed contract for 84 million. What do you expect Wilson to ask for?

I'm calling it now. The Hawks will draft a QB.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Largent80 wrote:The Seahawks attended both pro days of Darnold and Allen. 2 QBs they have no chance of getting or really want. That is a clear message about the future. RW is 29 and hedging about the future makes sense right now.

Kirk friggin Cousins has a fully guaranteed contract for 84 million. What do you expect Wilson to ask for?

I'm calling it now. The Hawks will draft a QB.

I don’t get what this is a clear message of. If they are 2 QBs they have no chance of getting or don’t really want what is the message? If PC and JS were attending pro days of QBs they could get and really wanted that might be a message of some sort, but probably not. The fact is the Seahawks have representatives at every major pro day. If you look back throughout the years you would read the Hawks have been at most QBs pro days. Also, it might not be the QB they are there to look at. For example at USCs pro day they very well may be looking at Jones or another prospect and not Darnold so much.

What is so prophetic about saying they will draft a QB? They currently have 1 on the roster so there is a decent chance they will draft one. If you are saying they are going to draft one early (rounds 1 or 2) that would be quite the claim. I am calling it now the Hawks won’t draft a QB in the first 4 rounds.

There is no message being sent!!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:54 pm

I already said it wouldn't be early as if they don't do a player trade then it depends who is in the board at 18.

I'm saying they draft one from my prior post that you need to read. I didn't say when.

Every year people try to predict what they will do and every year people are wrong.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Largent80 wrote:I already said it wouldn't be early as if they don't do a player trade then it depends who is in the board at 18.

I'm saying they draft one from my prior post that you need to read. I didn't say when.

Every year people try to predict what they will do and every year people are wrong.

I read your post. You didn’t say it wouldn’t be early (maybe you should re-read your own post). I said saying they will draft a QB isn’t much of a prediction as they only have 1 on the roster. Saying they would draft 1 early (ROUNDS 1 or 2) would be quite the prediction.

Furthermore I’m still not seeing the ‘message’ they are sending by having representatives at Darnolds and Allen’s pro days. Do you mind explaining that? They have representatives at every major pro day so it doesn’t seem like they are sending any messages, unless I am missing something you are trying to point out.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:48 pm

So what?

When John Schneider himself goes to Wyoming to personally see and speak to a quarterback before the draft it means something. Even Russell Wilson's camp inquired about it.

The Seahawks will draft a QB is what I said.
So what?
Don't take it personally. Jeezus.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:11 pm

I've read in this forum and other places that JS looking at Josh Allen means they are considering trying to get him or send some type of message.

It may be as simple as him showing up and sowing some seeds with other personnel men for trading down into the 2nd round.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Largent80 wrote:So what?

When John Schneider himself goes to Wyoming to personally see and speak to a quarterback before the draft it means something. Even Russell Wilson's camp inquired about it.

The Seahawks will draft a QB is what I said.
So what?
Don't take it personally. Jeezus.

Lol! I’m not taking anything personally. This was a basic discourse via an Internet forum. All I was doing was trying to get your persepective on why it meant something. When you first said the Seahawks were at his pro day that’s not a big deal, but now adding that JS was there and RW’s camp inquired about it makes it much more interesting. I even said in my first post that if it were PC or JS attending the pro day it could be a much bigger deal. By adding the piece about it being JS at the pro day and the part about RW’s camp I can see what you were saying. Do you see how that worked? I asked questions you gave answers, nothing personal.

Another point I made was that you made it seem like a big deal that you were ‘calling it now, the Hawks are drafting a QB.’ I gave my opinion that I didn’t think that was a very big prediction given the fact that they only have 1 QB on the roster. I was trying to inquire if you felt they were not just going to draft a QB, but draft one early (first few tounds). I was just interested in your opinion. If you felt they were going to draft one early then I thought that would be s big prediction and a big deal. Again, pretty normal Internet discourse without anything taken personally... lol...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:54 am

I also think TE is a draft pick for Seattle. Vannett is the only holdover and he hasn't had much of a chance. Dickson was signed for a year. This draft has a nice group of "Y" TE that the Seahawks desperately need.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:17 am

Largent80 wrote:I also think TE is a draft pick for Seattle. Vannett is the only holdover and he hasn't had much of a chance. Dickson was signed for a year. This draft has a nice group of "Y" TE that the Seahawks desperately need.

Agreed. Hopefully there's another Zach Miller minus the injuries out there.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 am

Durham Smythe (TE, Notre Dame)
Notre Dame traditionally does a good job developing TE’s and require their guys to do some blocking. Seattle might draft a TE at some point and whoever it is will need to block. Mike Gesicki (Penn State), Tyler Conklin (Central Michigan) and Troy Fumagalli (Wisconsin) are all guys to be had later on in the draft and they can BLOCK and also catch..
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:17 am

Here's another one unearthed by Rob Staton.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/ian-thomas ... e-seahawks
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:40 am

[quote="mykc14"
Lol! I’m not taking anything personally. This was a basic discourse via an Internet forum. All I was doing was trying to get your persepective on why it meant something. When you first said the Seahawks were at his pro day that’s not a big deal, but now adding that JS was there and RW’s camp inquired about it makes it much more interesting. I even said in my first post that if it were PC or JS attending the pro day it could be a much bigger deal. By adding the piece about it being JS at the pro day and the part about RW’s camp I can see what you were saying. Do you see how that worked? I asked questions you gave answers, nothing personal.

Another point I made was that you made it seem like a big deal that you were ‘calling it now, the Hawks are drafting a QB.’ I gave my opinion that I didn’t think that was a very big prediction given the fact that they only have 1 QB on the roster. I was trying to inquire if you felt they were not just going to draft a QB, but draft one early (first few tounds). I was just interested in your opinion. If you felt they were going to draft one early then I thought that would be s big prediction and a big deal. Again, pretty normal Internet discourse without anything taken personally... lol...[/quote]

- it's called Due Diligence. Do we not know John Schneider or something? He said who he was from his very first press conference ever ... and he's never waivered [I'm paraphrasing here], "We're going to be everywhere and in on everything." That's never ever changed. John Schneider and the Seahawks have not only scouted Allen ... they've scouted each and every single one of the 300+ (or so) prospects that are in this draft class. All of the QB's ... all of the DB's ... all of the RB's ... all of the OL ... etc. It just floors me how people somehow think this is so unusual. It's not unusual whatsoever. They've scouted everyone, be they Draft Prospect or Free Agent. This is just business as usual IMO -- same as it's always been.

And it sent a message to RW, you need to keep competing for your job besides a money motivator It's just that JS went to Wyoming during the busiest time of the year is what is striking. There are such things as smokescreens too and this may be a donnybrook of all of them but the fact that it happened is of note.

RW still has 2 years, but the next offseason is critical and that makes this next year even more critical especially with the 2 year Boykin experiment a failure..
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:05 am

As we get closer to the draft every team in the league knows Seattle's lack of picks, so the ones that want to get ET are treading water hoping the price will go down. Right now the only comparison for trading down from #18 is a 3rd rounder. If the Hawks are eyeballing RB by round 3 all the ones that fit Seattle will be long gone.

They may have to get very creative to get into the 2nd where they could get one of those guys (if they even want one). Either that or lower their asking price for ET to a 2nd and 3rd.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby springfieldhawk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:42 am

this would be my 2018 seahawks dream draft these are players i really want in seahawks blue when the draft is over. round 1 corner back Joshua Jackson Iowa please please please!!!!! i really want josh jackson who in my opinion will be the best corner in this draft fourth round guard skyler phillips idaho state fith round alan lazard wide reciever iowa sean welsh guard iowa
late rounders undrafted free agents aaron stinnie and andrew vollert tight end weber state
springfieldhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:49 am

springfieldhawk wrote:this would be my 2018 seahawks dream draft these are players i really want in seahawks blue when the draft is over. round 1 corner back Joshua Jackson Iowa please please please!!!!! i really want josh jackson who in my opinion will be the best corner in this draft fourth round guard skyler phillips idaho state fith round alan lazard wide reciever iowa sean welsh guard iowa
late rounders undrafted free agents aaron stinnie and andrew vollert tight end weber state

Hey, welcome to The Shack, Springfield!

Although I usually don't participate in it, one of our posters (are you out there, CBob?) has a 7 round draft forecast thread that he usually starts around this time of year, so keep your eyes open.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:14 am

Just a reminder how it stands as of today. Gotta say it stings having 102 picks in between our 1st and 2nd picks of the draft. I know many are assuming Schneider trades down to accumulate more picks in the 2nd and 3rd, which is likely if he finds a willing trade partner. I don't watch a lick of college football save for the big 3 games the first week of January, so I don't really have a take on anyone available, only what I have read. But this years draft is critical for this team, they need to find bona fide future starters in some key areas.

Round 1, Pick 18,
Round 4, Pick 20, No. 120 overall
Round 5, Pick 4, No. 141 overall
Round 5, Pick 9, No. 146 overall
Round 5, Pick 19, No. 156 overall
Round 5, Pick 31, No. 168 overall
Round 7, Pick 8, No. 226 overall
Round 7, Pick 30, No. 248 overall.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:36 am

There's been a lot of chatter from the media about the Seahawks and Browns making a trade where we would end up with the 33rd pick (+ others).
It would depend on who is there at 18 that the Browns want for it to be completed, I'm assuming.
If we get both the 33rd and a 3rd round pick, I could see us taking either a good RB, or a good DL.
So someone like Nick Chubb if they go RB, but more likely they would go DT with Tim Settle or maybe Maurice Hurst providing our doctors think he's cleared to play.
The DT would replace Richardson and maybe Bennett. Settle is in my mind like Corey Luiget but bigger. He's very quick for a big guy and at times dominated double teams.
With a much younger and frankly less capable secondary, more pressure up front is a necessity.
The other option could be a DE/Edge, again for more pass rush. Someone like a Rasheem Green from USC (California, not South Carolina) or Marcus Davenport if he fell that far.

In reading other forums or commenters in the media, some think we go CB, but the highest Pete has ever selected a DB other than Thomas was last year in the 3rd round. Pete has a great system
to play and he thinks he can find value in mid to late rounds and coach them up. He's been right so far.
There is also talk mainly on the Seahawksdraftblog site that suggests we will take a WR as the first pick. The reason is they seem to think we are moving towards an 'Air Coryell' type of Offense.
I don't see it happening. They might open it up a little, but PC has never been a guy wants a high risk type of Offense which that was. All teams use some of the concepts that Coryell brought into
the game, but it's predicated on the first read being the deep routes and even expects the QB to throw into double and triple coverage. It's a vertical stretching of the Defense to open holes, unlike
the WCO which is more of a horizontal stretching of the Defense. Having given up on Graham who thrived in Payton's Offense which uses more of Coryell's concepts than most of the coaches, and trading
away Kearse who made big plays, it doesn't seem to be in the plans.

Maybe it will be OL again. We didn't re-sign Joeckel and there is a hole inside, so again, if a G they have rated as mid to late 1st round is there in the 2nd, they might go that route. Someone like Will Hernandez who
can bring the bully attitude, or Isaiah Wynn who is very technical with great balance and feet.

One player who I'd love to see us get is Jaylen Samuels. He's a decent RB, but also played H-Back, Lead blocker, TE, WR, and QB in a Wildcat formation.
He's the kind of guy that Schottenheimer could use anywhere on the field. In the Sr. Bowl practices, no LB could cover him as a RB out of the backfield, as a TE, or H-Back.
He has really good hands/catching radius and runs precise routes from any position he's placed in.
If used properly, he could be a matchup nightmare for other Defenses. A far more versatile Prosise, if you will.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum